A.I.

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: A.I.

Post by TDub »

of course not. but that won't stop anyone from continuing down this disastrous path
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:05 am of course not. but that won't stop anyone from continuing down this disastrous path
did you happen to listen to the interview? (only 6 minutes, i think)

it’s terrifying to consider that we’re already at the point where we HAVE to leverage “AI” to even be effective with defensive strategies (like missile defense systems)…and it’s only becoming more of a necessity as weapon deployment becomes faster
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:19 am can intelligence, compassion, and rationality be programmed with 1s 0s?
Yes. I mean, they currently are programmed using four bits (A T G C) that can be represented in binary.
Last edited by Mjl on Wed May 17, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:14 am
TDub wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:05 am of course not. but that won't stop anyone from continuing down this disastrous path
did you happen to listen to the interview? (only 6 minutes, i think)

it’s terrifying to consider that we’re already at the point where we HAVE to leverage “AI” to even be effective with defensive strategies (like missile defense systems)…and it’s only becoming more of a necessity as weapon deployment becomes faster
This part is what I am afraid of in the somewhat-near future.

The dystopian futures don't scare me as much because racing to AI weapon systems could prevent that future, or any future, from happening.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.military.com/history/russia ... e.html/amp

apparently there is talk of reactivating this
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Just finished Life 3.0 (finally). I really highly recommend it to anyone interested in the future of AI, regardless of whether it's in a hopeful or fearful way. It very logically, honestly, philosophically, and open+mindedly breaks down the possible futures it will lead to
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont know why I can't get into technology.. I can fuss with a tractor all day, I can spend hours cutting and recutting wood to make things fit just so...I can fiddle around in a garden, etc etc... but anything to do with technology makes me want to ram my head into a wall after about 30 seconds. I get more frustrated with wifi not working or trying to figure out basic, simple, everyday technological things than I do with about anything else in life.

I dont quite understand why....Id say its because I didnt grow up with it, but I see people older than me that enjoy it and are much more adept at it than I will ever be.

Anyway, that's a roundabout way of saying that all of this futuristic AI technology controlled shit makes me anxious for lots of reasons. One of which is, I know I'm terrible at using it and understanding it (and, worse...have no desire to learn) and I think thats a terrible recipe for me personally with where things are heading. I better either figure it out or go off grid and become a hermit.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I don't agree with your conclusion.
AI is going to come for my job before it comes for yours. You'll be in demand for a while. I'll be deprecated.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:20 pm I don't agree with your conclusion.
AI is going to come for my job before it comes for yours. You'll be in demand for a while. I'll be deprecated.
you may be right as far as the job is concerned (though....as I age ill have to probably ease back into more management again and less field work and I would wager AI will filter into those roles quickly as well).

But I was thinking more just in the general function of society. literally everything requires some sort of digital tech and that's only going to accelerate. We're not going to be able to fix our cars, or work on our houses or do shit without a computer allowing us the ability to do so.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Boston Dynamics = Cyberdyne Systems

(maybe)
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Fake AI posts on Twitter of explosions at the Pentagon and White House caused $500B in panic sales losses before the market quickly realized it was Russian disinformation. Gold checks. Musk is a menace.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2023/5/2 ... on-Twitter
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

AI seems like the wrong thread for that. This actually showed how inferior AI is to a simple human using Photoshop
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Mjl wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:21 pm AI seems like the wrong thread for that. This actually showed how inferior AI is to a simple human using Photoshop
I think it shows just how dangerous it is. Next time won't be so inferior. As it was, it was hugely damaging.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

AI has been bad at that kind of thing for a long time.

It'll get better, sure. But if I wanted to find a stock to buy (besides SNOW), it'd be a company producing AI that detects AI. There's going to be a huge market for that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mjl wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:52 pm AI has been bad at that kind of thing for a long time.

It'll get better, sure. But if I wanted to find a stock to buy (besides SNOW), it'd be a company producing AI that detects AI. There's going to be a huge market for that.
YUP.

I think lawmakers should force digital products created with AI to have a meta identification.

ie if I wanted to, like an ad pop up blocker, I could block any AI created imagery, text/copy, scripts etc. And if that product was to be printed, it would produce a small recognizable watermark in a corner.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Not comforting:

Mitigating the risk of extinction from AI should be a global priority alongside other societal-scale risks such as pandemics and nuclear war.

A group of tech executives and others associated with artificial intelligence penned a letter on Tuesday stating the risks linked to the technology are on par with pandemics and nuclear war.

"Mitigating the risk of extinction from AI should be a global priority alongside other societal-scale risks such as pandemics and nuclear war," the signatories of the letter wrote.

The letter was released by the Center for AI safety and was signed by OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, executives from Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), Google (GOOG) (GOOGL) and several other companies and universities.

OpenAI has received billions in funding from Microsoft (MSFT), which has integrated the popular ChatGPT into many of its products and services...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Yeah, I mean, that almost goes without saying. This thread is 12 pages about the threats of AI. The threats are seemingly all you hear about in the media.

The part that's rarely discussed is how much good AI can do if done safely (and if that's possible).

None of these non-profits would be pursuing it if it wasn't capable of doing a ton of good.