Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by KUTradition »

Maine Sec. of State removes trump from primary ballot
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

LOLOLOLOL
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I wonder if Roger Stone has both on his body
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Trumps first ad airing here.

Durrrr.
Immigrants! Hamas!
We build more wall!
Vote for me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

With rhetoric like that, Trump might actually win over some Biden voters.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:41 am Trumps first ad airing here.

Durrrr.
Immigrants! Hamas!
We build more wall!
Vote for me.
Thanks for the link.
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I ain’t spreading that disease.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:56 am

Durrrr.
Immigrants! Hamas!
We build more wall!
Vote for me.
Thanks for the link.
https://twitter.com/TeamTrump/status/17 ... 8712940032

Garbage "ad".
Message isn't terrible but unfortunately for him it is in a format that caters to the people who are already voting for him.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:11 am

Durrrr.
Immigrants! Hamas!
We build more wall!
Vote for me.
Thanks for the link.

Garbage "ad".
Message isn't terrible but unfortunately for him it is in a format that caters to the people who are already voting for him.
Thanks Gutter. I searched YouTube and when I didn't find it there, I searched with Google. I suppose if I had scrolled down long enough the twitter entry would have appeared, but about the only things that came up were references to the SOS of Maine removing Trump, the sore loser...man-child...anti-democratic insurrectionist traitor, from the ballot.

As per usual, like nearly all republicans, all the ad had to offer is more "Be afraid, be very, very afraid!!!", with plenty of bigotry thrown in because for their base, it's what works.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:35 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:11 am

Thanks for the link.

Garbage "ad".
Thanks Gutter. I searched YouTube and when I didn't find it there, I searched with Google. I suppose if I had scrolled down long enough the twitter entry would have appeared, but about the only things that came up were references to the SOS of Maine removing Trump, the sore loser...man-child...anti-democratic insurrectionist traitor, from the ballot.

As per usual, like nearly all republicans, all the ad had to offer is more "Be afraid, be very, very afraid!!!", with plenty of bigotry thrown in because for their base, it's what works.
I saw a Trump social media post the other day more or less pivoting to a message that the economy isn’t shit after all…because what we’re seeing is the results of his policies bearing fruit, and the markets’ expectation that he will win again…and if he doesn’t win again then it’s depression city.

It’s all painfully, painfully stupid.

And yet.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I still am not sure what to think of “the economy.”

Maybe “the economy” means more, “the stock market.” Cuz the markets are good, and the investor class is doing just fine. There’s even metrics like, wages are up too!

But, plenty of the folks at the mall seem to still be bellyaching anyway. Though wages are up, inflation and the cost of living and such are all up too.

And for every “the economy is good!” sort of article, there also seems to be a concerning number of “most Americans are living paycheck to paycheck,” “couldn’t afford a $500 emergency” sort of takes too.

But, for the sake of just trying to be optimistic about something, I try to feel all warm and fuzzy about the economy is good sorts of takes, and hope mich’s 401k is doing alright either way.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hard pass.

Better luck next year!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:24 pm Hard pass.

Better luck next year!
Excellent idea
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The stock market isn't the economy, the stock market is a mood ring.

downtownjoshbrown

...the stock market is a mood ring not a mirror. Twitter is not a reflection of your neighbors and friends, it’s a collective primal scream of the absolute worst people you know. Every day is a new bout of tragedy or jubilation. We shouldn’t expect to see the same swings in the economy. It literally takes years.

The unemployment rate today is unchanged versus one year ago, despite all that has happened. Think about that.
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:48 pm I still am not sure what to think of “the economy.”

Maybe “the economy” means more, “the stock market.” Cuz the markets are good, and the investor class is doing just fine. There’s even metrics like, wages are up too!

But, plenty of the folks at the mall seem to still be bellyaching anyway. Though wages are up, inflation and the cost of living and such are all up too.

And for every “the economy is good!” sort of article, there also seems to be a concerning number of “most Americans are living paycheck to paycheck,” “couldn’t afford a $500 emergency” sort of takes too.

But, for the sake of just trying to be optimistic about something, I try to feel all warm and fuzzy about the economy is good sorts of takes, and hope mich’s 401k is doing alright either way.
I challenge you to find a time when there weren't a concerning number of Americans living paycheck to paycheck or that would struggle to figure out how to pay for a $500 emergency. And you will also find startling differences in the polls each year. It's a poll that seems completely dependent on the specific wording of the criteria in the question and that criteria rarely gets shared as part of the headline.

2012: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... E20120919/

2009: https://www.cnbc.com/id/32862851

Bottom line, in an economy where it takes money to make money, those with money will always grow their wealth faster than those without. In this country, we are bludgeoned with ads and messages telling us we need to be unhappy with what we have and that we "need" more stuff. Better stuff, better entertainment, better events, better experiences, better lives. Meanwhile, corporations make better profits by cutting expenses (many in the form of salaries to workers) while increasing revenue (many in the form of prices to consumers). There are always more people that want more money from you than want to give you more money.

The true wealth holders of the world lay the tracks for where the giant locomotive called the global economy travels. The government has a bit of say in that it can't have some influence on where it does and does not lay tracks, how fast it can travel through certain small areas, etc... go but ultimately, they aren't the ones designing it, building it, fueling it or steering it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoa, twocoach going Marx! This thread might be finally getting good
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:48 pm I still am not sure what to think of “the economy.”
……..
……..

“Can’t afford a $500 emergency” usually has nothing to do with macro economic conditions. It’s commonly based on a personal decision of those making that statement. It’s a result of not putting away $25-50 when there is no emergency.

Disclaimer: while the above statement is applicable to a vast majority of people, I do recognize that there are many people who don’t have the $25-50 to put away.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The economy is about as good as it can get with regard to unemployment, investment and pay. Not sure right wing political spin articles are a good sense of things. And right wing spin dominates the "liberal media."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Hopefully the Fed starts lowering rates in early spring and the recovery really swings into action. I have seen some reports estimating that the Fed may drop the rates 4 times next year, which seems like it will spur home purchases, loans, etc... Of course I am sure that we'll hear about how the Fed is part of the giant conspiracy to keep Trump out of the White House by trying to make the economy look good for Biden...