More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

Re: More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Post by Deleted User 289 »

It's religion and politics. Always have been odd, always will be odd. Divisive too.
Deleted User 289

Deleted User 289

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Passover will also be different this year.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Got an "I would like to read this passage from the Bible about Easter with you" text from a coworker this morning.

I am not religious. I have never spoken to this coworker about religion so there is zero reason that this coworker should have felt that this information was something I would be interested in.

Oh, and I received the text at 6:15am. Despite the fact that she has worked remotely from her Kentucky home for our Nebraska based company for nearly 2 years, she "forgot" about the time zone difference. Do we not all operate under the implied understanding that text messaging between 10PM and 8am should be reserved for emergencies only?

Why on earth would anyone feel that this is appropriate?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:00 am Got an "I would like to read this passage from the Bible about Easter with you" text from a coworker this morning.

I am not religious. I have never spoken to this coworker about religion so there is zero reason that this coworker should have felt that this information was something I would be interested in.

Oh, and I received the text at 6:15am. Despite the fact that she has worked remotely from her Kentucky home for our Nebraska based company for nearly 2 years, she "forgot" about the time zone difference. Do we not all operate under the implied understanding that text messaging between 10PM and 8am should be reserved for emergencies only?

Yes.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Feral wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:18 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:00 am Got an "I would like to read this passage from the Bible about Easter with you" text from a coworker this morning.

Yes.
Hmm. I break that rule often and disagree with it. But I'm up at 4:10 weekdays and 5ish weekends. There are a lot of times my best chance to text is before 7. I usually get responses and noone has yelled at me yet.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

There's a pandemic going on, people. If my phone buzzes at 6am and I am not on pager then my first concern is that something bad has happened to my family. Glad it wasn't that but come on.

Have some respect. I respect that she is religious, would it be hard for her to respect that I am not? We're coworkers and we are not friends.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:33 am

Yes.
Hmm. I break that rule often and disagree with it. But I'm up at 4:10 weekdays and 5ish weekends. There are a lot of times my best chance to text is before 7. I usually get responses and noone has yelled at me yet.
There are exceptions. My parents wake up early so my window with them is earlier but some random coworker? No.

And again, it wasn't a work question. I could begrudgingly tolerate that. It was a link to a bible verse sent to me, who feels that the US Catholic Church was the organizer of the largest pedophilia ring in US history. That's not a text that needs to go out ever, let alone at that time of day.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:33 am

Yes.
I rarely sleep past 5 am, and since nearly all of my people live in the midwest and mountain time zones, the two or 3 hours I give them before I text feels a lot like wasted time to me. And, because I can't do it when I think of it, it's not uncommon for me to forget to do it until much later, if at all. But, I wouldn't appreciate it if they texted me early about something that there's no time pressure element to.

(Wearing a beeper 24/7 for nearly 30 years, and for 8-10 physicians during on-call weekends, probably informs my opinion.)
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

For clarifications sake the time of day was only the second most annoying this about receiving an unwanted religious text.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:04 am For clarifications sake the time of day was only the second most annoying this about receiving an unwanted religious text.
lol
Anand Giridharadas
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:04 am For clarifications sake the time of day was only the second most annoying this about receiving an unwanted religious text.
There’s actually a really simple solution to your problem Let this person know - politely - that the timing and subject matter bothered you. I’m guessing that will be the end of it.

I have a friend who includes me in a weekly “newsletter” that he e-mails out, detailing, among other things, his political views (which are offensive to me) and his fascination with comic books and action figures (which I find sad for a man in his forties). I pondered letting him know these things, but decided I valued the friendship and his feelings over my mild annoyance. I marked the e-mail as spam, and it goes straight to junk mail every Friday so I don’t have to see it. Problem solved; friendship intact.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 am
There’s actually a really simple solution to your problem Let this person know - politely - that the timing and subject matter bothered you. I’m guessing that will be the end of it.

I have a friend who includes me in a weekly “newsletter” that he e-mails out, detailing, among other things, his political views (which are offensive to me) and his fascination with comic books and action figures (which I find sad for a man in his forties). I pondered letting him know these things, but decided I valued the friendship and his feelings over my mild annoyance. I marked the e-mail as spam, and it goes straight to junk mail every Friday so I don’t have to see it. Problem solved; friendship intact.
That is exactly what I did...my response to her was: "I respect that you are religious. Please respect that I am not. Please do not send religious texts to my personal cell phone at any time of day, let alone wake me up with them at 6:20am."

I wouldnt text her with details about incoming Kansas basketball players so I have no idea why she would text coworkers about religion. I am not friends with this person, either. She is a shitty employee and a rude individual so we do not interact outside of work topics at all.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 am
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 am

That is exactly what I did...my response to her was: "I respect that you are religious. Please respect that I am not. Please do not send religious texts to my personal cell phone at any time of day, let alone wake me up with them at 6:20am."

I wouldnt text her with details about incoming Kansas basketball players so I have no idea why she would text coworkers about religion.
Sounds like a clear and respectful response. I’m sure it will have its intended effect.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Apr 5, 2020,12:49pm EDT Researchers Warn Possible Coronavirus Treatment Hydroxychloroquine May Be Toxic When Combined With Diabetes Drug

Researchers have warned that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) and chloroquine (CQ), two similar drugs repeatedly touted by President Trump to be promising treatments for COVID-19, may be deadly when combined with a common diabetes drug.

The new study was published yesterday online on scientific pre-print server BioRxiv and shows that 30-40% of mice treated with a combination of HCQ or CQ and diabetes drug metformin, died. Treatment with the same dose of either drug alone had no effect on the survival of the mice.

HCQ and CQ are typically used to treat malaria and autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, but have also shown some early promise in the treatment of certain types of cancer, with several clinical trials ongoing.

“Our interest in this combination arose because both drugs individually have been shown to have anti-tumor effects in pancreatic cancer,” read a statement from two of the authors of the paper: Chi Dang, director of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research and Anirban Maitra, scientific director of the Center for Pancreatic Cancer Research at MD Anderson Cancer Center. “To our utter surprise, both HCQ and CQ when combined with metformin resulted in a surprising death rate in 30-40% of mice. In contrast there were no deaths in the single treatment groups,” said the authors.

The work in the recently published study was done before the coronavirus outbreak, with the researchers testing HCQ/CQ and metformin for pancreatic cancer and coming up with this perhaps, serendipitous finding. Due to this, some of the mice had pancreatic tumors, however the drug combination proved fatal for the mice with and without pancreatic cancer, at a similar rate.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

A small trial finds that hydroxychloroquine is not effective for treating coronavirus

Katherine Seley-Radtke, Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry and President-Elect of the International Society for Antiviral Research, University of Maryland, Baltimore County

April 3, 2020

On Saturday the Food and Drug Administration approved the use of two antimalarial drugs, hydroxychloroquine and a related medication, chloroquine, for emergency use to treat COVID-19. The drugs were touted by President Trump as a “game changer” for COVID-19.

However, a study just published in a French medical journal provides new evidence that hydroxychloroquine does not appear to help the immune system clear the coronavirus from the body. The study comes on the heels of two others - one in France and one in China - that reported some benefits in the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin for COVID-19 patients who didn’t have severe symptoms of the virus.

Edited to add:

I am a medicinal chemist who has specialized in discovery and development of antiviral drugs for the past 30 years, and I have been actively working on coronaviruses for the past seven. I am among a number of researchers who are concerned that this drug has been given too much of a high priority before there is enough evidence to show it is indeed effective.

There are already other clinical studies that showed it is not effective against COVID-19 as well as several other viruses. And, more importantly, it can have dangerous side effects, as well as giving people false hope. The latter has led to widespread shortages of hydroxychloroquine for patients who need it to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, the indications for which it was originally approved.

The idea that the combination of hydroxychloroquine with an antibiotic drug, azithromycin, was effective against COVID-19 gained more attention after a study published on March 17. This study described a trial of 80 patients carried out by Philippe Gautret in Marseille, France. Although some of their results appeared to be encouraging, it should also be noted that most of their patients only had mild symptoms. Furthermore, 85% of the patients didn’t even have a fever – one of the major telltale symptoms of the virus, thus suggesting that these patients likely would have naturally cleared the virus without any intervention.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Is it possible that you were not the intended recipient? The 6 am Bible text being the equivalent of a 1 am “ready to party?” drunk text?
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

zsn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:26 am
Is it possible that you were not the intended recipient? The 6 am Bible text being the equivalent of a 1 am “ready to party?” drunk text?
"Ready to pray and save your soul, baby?"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sorry, the last two posts of mine above were intended for the "Petri Dish..." thread.

pdub should move them.

dammit
Anand Giridharadas