This Team

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: This Team

Post by TDub »

I hate feeling and being so negative with this team. Hate that im not more excited and positive about a Kansas team. I need to be better....just like them.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Senior Svi and junior Newman were players B and C from earlier if anyone wanted to know.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Id venture to guess this team would look better with newman or svi in there instead of vick. Ok im done. Sorry.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:43 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 am maybe i’m wrong, but it seemed like everyone’s focus and intensity took a hit when Vick was reinserted
I noticed this too, and it's what prompted my call to bench him.

we looked so much better in the first half without him. Then he comes in second half, does some bonehead stuff, and instead of getting pulled we ride him, and the whole team seems to take a step back, on both ends.

He failed the eye test, and the numbers back it up too.

so I dunno how much of calling to bench him is just scapegoating, or cuz we just don't seem to play as well with him in there even if he is the best shooter.
Sorry, but if the other 4 guys on the court played worse when Vick was in, that's on the other 4 guys.
Moore played a lot harder than Vick did last night. Sometimes that is contagious. Regardless, it's rather inexcusable from Vick's standpoint.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

there's also the issue of impacting the game in other ways if you aren't scoring, for whatever reason

but i'm with TDub, i'm done
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:03 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:43 am

I noticed this too, and it's what prompted my call to bench him.

we looked so much better in the first half without him. Then he comes in second half, does some bonehead stuff, and instead of getting pulled we ride him, and the whole team seems to take a step back, on both ends.

He failed the eye test, and the numbers back it up too.

so I dunno how much of calling to bench him is just scapegoating, or cuz we just don't seem to play as well with him in there even if he is the best shooter.
Sorry, but if the other 4 guys on the court played worse when Vick was in, that's on the other 4 guys.
Moore played a lot harder than Vick did last night. Sometimes that is contagious. Regardless, it's rather inexcusable from Vick's standpoint.
Yep Vick should have played harder. Yes, energy can be contagious. If you let someone else not playing hard prevent you from playing hard, that's on you, not them.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:03 am Id venture to guess this team would look better with newman or svi in there instead of vick. Ok im done. Sorry.
I would agree with Malik considering how he finished.
But the numbers don't say so regarding both players especially if you consider the fact that they had a NPOY candidate leading them and each other respectively to space the court.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The pack shat the bed last night.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well our other candidates to be wolf include a dude who punched Mitch Lightfoot, a guy who broke his wrist and a 'diaper dandy' who is worse than Mario Little.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 am the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

I like this
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:11 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 am the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

I like this
Thanks. I could have also said that a zone defense is like a chain, and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. But, I didn't want to get all plagiarize-y.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:53 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 am perhaps the most painful thing about Vick was in the second half when the announcers comment about him, the camera pans over to him on the bench.

But instead of him paying attention and exhibiting focus on the game, he's visibly checked out chewing on his fingernails with his eyes wandering every which way.
I didn't know you were a body language expert.

It's not possible that he was anxious to get back in the game and prove himself? He was checked out, but not literally chomping at the bit to get in?

I love all the, "he didn't look the way I wanted him to look, so it's a problem" takes.
he appeared to be paying no attention whatsoever. He could have been anywhere - courtside at a basketball game, or sitting at home wondering if he should trim his pubes.

but all body language aside, just look at the game: he might be the most liable for a bonehead play, the ball sticks with him on offense, more lapses on defense, and the team just generally doesn't play as well, as hard, or with any sort of cohesiveness.

again, we were winning the game with him on the bench. And yeah, statie started hitting shots in the second half that they were missing in the first, but how much of that is cuz we didn't bring the same intensity on D in the second half with you-know-who in the game?

and yeah the underclassmen suck too, but at least they still bring that unproven potential. We know exactly what we're getting with Vick, and, meh.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:01 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:54 am
true, but team-wide it's got to be a difficult situation when you never know what kind of production someone is going to have. these guys have played together enough that they SHOULD know each other's roles and what to expect their teammates to do. can't do that with vick, and the others are obviously not far enough along to make up for it
Vick is not the only player who goes through ups and downs. Consistent guys are more the exception than they are the rule.

Graham had back to back 35 point games last year and followed it up with a 3 point night.

Here's a stretch of Svi's scoring output in games last season: 7, 24, 24, 22, 17, 1, 2, 10, 9, 16

Here's some of Newman's consecutive scoring nights: 17, 2, 8, 13, 0, 14, 7, 13, 9, 1, 27, 7, 9, 24
Yup. And graham and Newman are much better than Vick.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"again, we were winning the game with him on the bench. And yeah, statie started hitting shots in the second half that they were missing in the first, but how much of that is cuz we didn't bring the same intensity on D in the second half with you-know-who in the game?"

Not much.
They just started hitting shots in the second half.
They were miserable in the first - some of that was on our zone but some of it was they were just cold.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so how much is on Self?

oh, we were winning with this D and these guys in the first half, so let's try something different in the second!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 am he appeared to be paying no attention whatsoever. He could have been anywhere - courtside at a basketball game, or sitting at home wondering if he should trim his pubes.
People process things and react to things differently. It's meaningless.
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 ambut all body language aside, just look at the game: he might be the most liable for a bonehead play, the ball sticks with him on offense, more lapses on defense, and the team just generally doesn't play as well, as hard, or with any sort of cohesiveness.
He played like shit last night. He and most of the team.
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 amagain, we were winning the game with him on the bench. And yeah, statie started hitting shots in the second half that they were missing in the first, but how much of that is cuz we didn't bring the same intensity on D in the second half with you-know-who in the game?
We played a zone, a Bruce Weber coached team wasn't prepared for it. They made some halftime adjustments and started hitting shots. I really don't see how this can be pinned on Vick alone.
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 amand yeah the underclassmen suck too, but at least they still bring that unproven potential. We know exactly what we're getting with Vick, and, meh.

Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

TDub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:03 am Id venture to guess this team would look better with newman or svi in there instead of vick. Ok im done. Sorry.
Of course we would be better with those guys. Those guys are better than Vick.....but Vick is still better than most of the other players on this team. He's better than everyone except dedric and dotson.

Vick is getting a lot of blame because some of our other players aren't very good. That's not really on vick. If grimes averages 15pts a game then vick doesn't need to average 20+ for us to be good. If Moore and KJ weren't awful then Vick could be inconsistent like he's always been.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:21 am so how much is on Self?

oh, we were winning with this D and these guys in the first half, so let's try something different in the second!
Charlie picked up a foul.
Vick had to come in.
I think Self held out Vick too long and it got to his head. And yes, that's an obvious weakness of Vick's.

Self is largely to blame for where we are ( why isn't Vick more involved - having plays set up for him? what happened to Grimes? is DMac alive? ) if you don't consider the Dok injury.
But you have to consider the Dok injury.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

wasn't the only reason Vick started playing cuz the other guys were in foul trouble?

also, not to officially blame the refs on the satellite board or anything, but it's mind boggling that after that wrestling match we never even made it to the bonus in the second half.