Cascadia

Re: Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Post by Cascadia »

Never
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Things are just fine. Nothing to worry about in regards to housing. :lol:

"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:03 pm Things are just fine. Nothing to worry about in regards to housing. :lol:

You're too jumpy. Graphs freak you out too much.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:32 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:03 pm Things are just fine. Nothing to worry about in regards to housing. :lol:

You're too jumpy. Graphs freak you out too much.
You should what YouTube videos do to him.......
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We talked to realtors in Denver area about selling our townhouse last week. They are falling all over themselves trying to get us to list with them. They are willing to list it for 1% and think they can exceed our minimum. If we hit our minimum, it would be a 25% increase in value after just 3 years. The crash has been devastating so far.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

japhy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:00 pm We talked to realtors in Denver area about selling our townhouse last week. They are falling all over themselves trying to get us to list with them. They are willing to list it for 1% and think they can exceed our minimum. If we hit our minimum, it would be a 25% increase in value after just 3 years. The crash has been devastating so far.
Japh: so sorry. Devastating. Take the points vs UT
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Yeah, wife and I just closed on another Palm Springs property.

Bought this one strictly to flip.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

housing prices here just keep going up, otherwise we’d be getting serious about buying

our neighborhood is up on the bench, in the shadow of Mt. Olympus...nothing under a half million
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:07 am housing prices here just keep going up, otherwise we’d be getting serious about buying

our neighborhood is up on the bench, in the shadow of Mt. Olympus...nothing under a half million
We looked at Bellingham a couple of years ago. I fell in love with the Seattle area when I was working on the Experience Music Project 20 years ago. My wife liked Bellingham more than Seattle as she prefers a smaller city. Prices up there are crazy. A friend from college sold his home there and moved to NM and now works remotely. He could probably retire off the money he made selling a home he has owned for 25 years. In the end it makes more sense for us to fly out there and spend a couple of weeks every year in hotels.

Denver market is still really hot. Our townhouse is near the W Line light rail so it takes 20 minutes to ride the train to downtown and 45 minutes to get to DIA. And there hasn't been anything in our neighborhood for sale for a year. Most of the houses in our area are only the market for days. It sucked being on the buyers end in that market but as a seller, I am all for it. Waive appraisal, waive inspections, first offers 10% over asking and give priority to cash buyers. Moving and finding a new place will suck but we will cash out of Denver and move into the Colorado Springs market this time. Doing all of this in a pandemic will make it more interesting.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

japhy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:02 am
TraditionKU wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:07 am housing prices here just keep going up, otherwise we’d be getting serious about buying

We looked at Bellingham a couple of years ago. I fell in love with the Seattle area when I was working on the Experience Music Project 20 years ago. My wife liked Bellingham more than Seattle as she prefers a smaller city. Prices up there are crazy. A friend from college sold his home there and moved to NM and now works remotely. He could probably retire off the money he made selling a home he has owned for 25 years. In the end it makes more sense for us to fly out there and spend a couple of weeks every year in hotels.

Denver market is still really hot. Our townhouse is near the W Line light rail so it takes 20 minutes to ride the train to downtown and 45 minutes to get to DIA. And there hasn't been anything in our neighborhood for sale for a year. Most of the houses in our area are only the market for days. It sucked being on the buyers end in that market but as a seller, I am all for it. Waive appraisal, waive inspections, first offers 10% over asking and give priority to cash buyers. Moving and finding a new place will suck but we will cash out of Denver and move into the Colorado Springs market this time. Doing all of this in a pandemic will make it more interesting.
I lived in Bellingham for 7 years. Moat of my family is still there. They seem to have all slowly left kansas and ended up in bham

Also you worked on EMP? I was working right across the street for a bit while that was going up
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Uh oh. My beat up carpenters fingers hit a instead of s again. Oussies gonna smack my hand with a ruler again.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Re: “In the end it makes more sense for us to fly out there and spend a couple of weeks every year in hotels”

In my area (mountain resort town), you’d be surprised how many (high end, like 7 figures plus) second homes up here are only occupied for like 10 days a year.

Or for that matter, how many front range folks call our vacation rental company asking, “we’d like to rent something for ski season, now thru the end of April. We’ll only be up there on weekends, and our budget’s ‘only’ $8 grand a month*.”

I’ll suggest, have you considered just reserving every weekend? So you don’t have to pay for all the nights you won’t even be there. “Yeah, but we want somewhere to leave our skis too.”

*meanwhile, we’ll also get calls like, “hey there, long time local who just got my place rented out from under me cuz the landlord found some Denver weekend warriors who can pay way more. I know it’s a long shot, but any chance you might have a 1 bedroom or a studio or a mop closet or something, anything, for less than a thousand a month?”
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I shoulda bought in bellingham. That market is stupid. My parents have owned their house for 27 years. Bought it cheap and not in good shape. My dad and I re-did the whole house. It has a view of the bay, they should do well on it
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:24 am

I lived in Bellingham for 7 years. Moat of my family is still there. They seem to have all slowly left kansas and ended up in bham

Also you worked on EMP? I was working right across the street for a bit while that was going up
I recall a hotel going up during the construction process. Is that where you were working? There was so much construction in that area at the time it was hard to keep track of it all. Seattle is a cool city, lots of great restaurants. Bellingham is really nice as well. Whale watching between Bellingham and Friday Harbor was a dream trip for my wife. We came close to pulling the trigger on a condo out there but decided the long distance to travel made it impractical. Do you visit much?

I spent every other week in Seattle for about 2 years during construction. Still my favorite project. There was a bar across the street that had a chainlink fence around a chunk of asphalt with a basketball goal inside. We called it the thunderdome, there were regular games played in there usually ironworkers versus the sheetmetal workers. I played pg for the sheetmetal guys when I was in town. We didn't drink there as they had shitty beer only fit for ironworkers, we would go to McMennamins in Queen Anne a lot or down to Pike Market. The ironworkers had control of the tower crane during the day and sheetmetal guys had it all night, so I would be up on the roof at night observing the sheetmetal workers installing panels. Watching guys lose their grip and slowly slide off the edge of the building into the dark until their harness lanyard went tight and then pull themselves back up over the edge by rope was a weird late night sight. During the day the inspector would come on site and I had to rappel the side of the building to review things he wasn't sure about. He was a steel inspector and he had to review and sign off on the panel installation. It was all aluminum and he was in over his head so we would climb all over the building and I would sign off on things he was unsure of or we would have the sheetmetal guys fix it. I suspect visiting that building as a small child when it opened was one of the events that made my daughter want to become an engineer as well. Years later during her first year of Arch E design studio at KU every one in her class had to pick a building from a list of buildings by famous architects to write a report and give a presentation on. There were 3 buildings in the list that were projects I worked on and she had seen as a small child. She picked the EMP and texted me from class to ask for anything I might be able to add to her report.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I hope you texted back that the “Japhy wuz here” scraped into the ironwork isn’t vandalism, it’s hieroglyphics.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

japhy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:23 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:24 am

I recall a hotel going up during the construction process. Is that where you were working? There was so much construction in that area at the time it was hard to keep track of it all. Seattle is a cool city, lots of great restaurants. Bellingham is really nice as well. Whale watching between Bellingham and Friday Harbor was a dream trip for my wife. We came close to pulling the trigger on a condo out there but decided the long distance to travel made it impractical. Do you visit much?

I spent every other week in Seattle for about 2 years during construction. Still my favorite project. There was a bar across the street that had a chainlink fence around a chunk of asphalt with a basketball goal inside. We called it the thunderdome, there were regular games played in there usually ironworkers versus the sheetmetal workers. I played pg for the sheetmetal guys when I was in town. We didn't drink there as they had shitty beer only fit for ironworkers, we would go to McMennamins in Queen Anne a lot or down to Pike Market. The ironworkers had control of the tower crane during the day and sheetmetal guys had it all night, so I would be up on the roof at night observing the sheetmetal workers installing panels. Watching guys lose their grip and slowly slide off the edge of the building into the dark until their harness lanyard went tight and then pull themselves back up over the edge by rope was a weird late night sight. During the day the inspector would come on site and I had to rappel the side of the building to review things he wasn't sure about. He was a steel inspector and he had to review and sign off on the panel installation. It was all aluminum and he was in over his head so we would climb all over the building and I would sign off on things he was unsure of or we would have the sheetmetal guys fix it. I suspect visiting that building as a small child when it opened was one of the events that made my daughter want to become an engineer as well. Years later during her first year of Arch E design studio at KU every one in her class had to pick a building from a list of buildings by famous architects to write a report and give a presentation on. There were 3 buildings in the list that were projects I worked on and she had seen as a small child. She picked the EMP and texted me from class to ask for anything I might be able to add to her report.
It was the gates foundation building. I think emp was actually complete but still working on punchlist stuff and finishing exterior landscaping work etc. There was a ton of work there, i worked in south lake union for most of my 15 years in Seattle.

I like bellingham but i hated/hate Seattle. Lots of construction work there tho. Havent been back to bham in 3 years. Long drive with 2 young kids and now covid etc. The whale watching between Anacortes and the san juans is awesome. Spent a lot of time at lime kiln park on the other side of Friday Harbor.

I would never ever move to seattle. I couldnt do it. Bellingham or ferndale or mt baker maybe. I couldn't even live in Seattle when i worked there...i lived 40 miles northeast and made that horrible fucking drive everyday.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Also, Fuck ironworkers. Cant stand working around those guys. Thwy are the worst. Sheetmetal guys are alright usually, a little arrogant but usually decent people. Shouldve sent your Ironworkers to the Re-Bar tavern. Haha

I never drank downtown because my drive home. Id stop in snohomish and hit up docs or the old inn tavern.
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:27 pm I hope you texted back that the “Japhy wuz here” scraped into the ironwork isn’t vandalism, it’s hieroglyphics.
There is place way up high in the lobby where the ironworkers all signed a steel "rib" that you can barely see from the ground level. When we did our analysis of the building skin we had to create a topographic map of the building exterior to be able to identify where we were on the structure. A simple 2D grid wouldn't work. My claim to the building was when the top came out there was a "knob" on the NE corner with my name on it. I also named the front of the building where the monorail passes through, that section is the Madonna of the Monorail or the Maddona Wall for short. As the engineer on a project it is best when no one knows or cares who you are. It means your work went smoothly and no one got hurt.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

We all always sign something.
Just Ledoux it