NBA 2019-2020 Regular Season

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: NBA 2019-2020 Regular Season

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:25 am North Dakota wouldn't have the facilities.
We were on the short list of hub sites for the NHL with the Ralph Englestad Arena in Grand Forks being one of the few acceptable facilities. That was until there was an outbreak at a power plant in that area.

Is a state of the art facility really the biggest concern since the games will be closed anyway? Don't you just need a couple courts and hoops with a few practice sites, lol? I'm with GQ, any decent sized college campus would work.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Yes, that’s all you need. And in an area where there are less ways in and out, visitors in general would be a better option than Orlando.

Not like there are ‘bad’ courts that are gonna influence quality of play.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's not nearly as simple as you guys are making it.
You can't ( as easily ) just plop down in North Dakota and get things running.

https://www.espnwwos.com/complex/venues/

"The venue hosts a variety of AAU and youth sports tournaments. But it also hosts the Advocare Orlando Invitational college basketball tournament during Thanksgiving week. The ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex has facilities that can hold multiple courts and have multiple games going on at once. The HP Field House can also be converted for a giant court for TV purposes.

The facility has two separate arenas that can be used for basketball and multiple courts or practice courts.

There are a lot of amenities the league can use to pull this off. And no place likely has the mix of basketball-ready venues and hotel space — let alone the transportation infrastructure with Disney’s fleet of buses to get guests around the property — to cordon off the NBA from the rest of the world and complete the season."

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2020/04/3 ... le-season/
Deleted User 141

Not is it owned and operated by ESPN parent company, which will funnel profits appropriately. Let’s just call it what it is, and not play dumb.

I don’t care at end of day, it’s just comical. Suppose best soccer facilities in Orlando too, which is why MLS tourney is there. Lol.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I'm sure there are dozens of factors that come into play that does make Orlando a much better option, but as for the ones you listed, any decent sized college campus would work.

Hypothetically, if they were to use ND:

Bismarck has the Events Center that can hold 2 courts, when the bleachers are collapsed, as well as the neighboring Exhibition Hall that can hold 3 courts. Housing would be the issue there. 2 colleges with empty dorms could hold players and staff, but they are small campuses, so if family is coming with the players that would get tricky.
Fargo, which would be the best option here, has the Fargodome that can hold 3 courts, as well as a Civic Center for another, Scheels Arena where NDSU plays their games and NDSU's practice facility. NDSU's campus would be large enough to hold all NBA personel and family in their empty dorms.

As far as transportation, I know Bismarck has a fleet of city and Harlow's buses sitting in garages right now. Not sure if Fargo is in the same boat there or not, but since the campus is closed, I would assume the NDSU campus transportation is free for use.

All of this would apply to multiple cities is almost every state. That's where it comes down to the dozens of things we probably aren't even considering when it comes why they chose Disney. Courts, lodging, transportation are the easy things to find.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Courts, lodging, transportation are the easy things to find."

I just can't agree, not to the level of ease or the level of professionalism, especially at a time like this.
Places that have done this before, with personnel that have done this before, at a level of something ( maybe not quite like this ) are much better suited than some random campus that have arenas/centers with multiple courts.

I work in a field related.
It's not as easy as it seems.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's like saying "I can throw a wedding in my backyard, it has the space, I can rent the tables, I can find a caterer, and places for people to stay".

Sure you can.

But if you go to a venue that has done all that before, that has the space set up for it, with the companies they've already worked with that are professionals that do that, it going to go more seamlessly. And with the pandemic, you want a spot that's done this before, and has the facilities already in place to do it.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:28 am It's like saying "I can throw a wedding in my backyard, it has the space, I can rent the tables, I can find a caterer, and places for people to stay".

Sure you can.

But if you go to a venue that has done all that before, that has the space set up for it, with the companies they've already worked with that are professionals that do that, it going to go more seamlessly. And with the pandemic, you want a spot that's done this before, and has the facilities already in place to do it.
Absolutely, agree with this. I was just speaking hypothetically. I understand why they chose where they did, I just can also understand why people are questioning flying all these people to a place that has been designated a hot spot for the exact thing that cancelled the season in the first place.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm going to guess that it doesn't matter as much about the state's infection rate because they'll be closing off the resort entirely to visitors.

The risk might be slightly higher because of maybe people off the resort coming in...but I bet a lot of the staff/crew will be living at the resort as well.
Deleted User 141

Yes, I know Orlando is a good place to have. It’s also laughable.

By the way, I got married up in Nederland, in a field. A venue that never hosted a venue before. Was pretty awesome. Maybe not NBA awesome, but I thought it was fantastic!

About a mile from Hessie trailhead, which would be in my top 3, but it’s more than 20 mins from my house (although on my dad’s property, so I shoulda counted. Damn)
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Beautiful stuff. Genuine. Hard not to be a Giannis fan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBwt_nRJqdT/?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Denver Nuggets All-NBA center Nikola Jokic tested positive for the coronavirus in Serbia and his return to the United States to rejoin his team is temporarily delayed, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

He spent time with tennis star Novak Djokovic, a Serbian countryman, at a recent event in Belgrade. Djokovic said Tuesday that he has also tested positive for the coronavirus."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/293 ... us-delayed
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Tennis Joker is the asshole of 2020. Going on a rant about how it's unsafe to play the US Open at the end of August, with a ton of precautions in place, only to turn around and organize his own tournament with absolutely no restrictions. Fuck that guy.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:08 am Tennis Joker is the asshole of 2020. Going on a rant about how it's unsafe to play the US Open at the end of August, with a ton of precautions in place, only to turn around and organize his own tournament with absolutely no restrictions. Fuck that guy.
I thought he was actually mad that there were too many restrictions at the US Open? Maybe I heard incorrectly.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

JR SMITH IS BACK BABY.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

GM Lebron lulz
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:24 am
NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:08 am Tennis Joker is the asshole of 2020. Going on a rant about how it's unsafe to play the US Open at the end of August, with a ton of precautions in place, only to turn around and organize his own tournament with absolutely no restrictions. Fuck that guy.
I thought he was actually mad that there were too many restrictions at the US Open? Maybe I heard incorrectly.
You're right. He was pissed he had to stay in a hotel. Couldn't go to Manhattan. Couldn't bring his entire entourage to the courts.

Still, fuck that guy.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:59 amGM Lebron lulz
Can’t wait for the Illy and bronboys meltdown.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I enjoy a good illy meltdown as much as the next person, no doubt about that.

But I even more so can’t wait for JR to screw it up for Lebron again, hence the aforesaid lulz.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Oh yeah, that too