COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

This is quite a lot.

If we don’t take coronavirus seriously, expect hard choices at Children’s Mercy and beyond

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/read ... 75221.html
If our efforts to stop the invader have not worked, we will have to make tough choices. Patients who are unlikely to be saved will be allowed to die. Good palliative care can control pain and suffering and make deaths more peaceful.

These decisions will be emotionally painful and ethically troubling. The proposed guidelines suggest that they not be left to doctors at the bedside. Instead, they are to be made by triage committees following strict protocols. Let’s be clear: These committees are not “death panels.” Their goal is to use our scarce ICU resources to save as many lives as possible when not all lives can be saved.

It may still be possible to avoid pandemic ethics. We all need to persist with and intensify our lockdowns and closures to prevent the spread of the virus and decrease the anticipated strain on hospitals.

But we still may need to face the next collective challenges: supporting the difficult work that clinicians will have to do if the resources are not there to provide all the care that patients need. No doctor ever wants to let a patient die from lack of resources. But such decisions may be necessary. To get through this, we need an informed public standing in solidarity with a prepared health care system.

We can do this together. We can only do this together.

John D. Lantos is director of the Bioethics Center at Children’s Mercy Kansas City.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

This is really excellent, as relief.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... ally-about
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:38 pm This is really excellent, as relief.

Lots of fancy college words and no real point. I see what you like about it.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Great piece, very interesting stuff.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Thanks for posting, really appreciate it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

The hospital where Mrs 99 works just announced drive through tests for employees by appointment.
Defense. Rebounds.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

So as you you know there is no vaccine or medicine that will solve this...

A friend that is directly involved in this has recommended this.

If you are in are local ICU this is what is given.

NAC you want the saline version

NAC now foods is the right one.

Take one in morning and one at night

If you incur symptoms take every four hours

This will protect your lungs.

Look this impacts everyone differently

I put my smartest person on this after hearing about the malaria drug and they said no,

This is not correct.

Look this about keeping your lungs healthy.

All I can tell you is you is order it and I am taking it.
thebones

Post by thebones »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks for posting, really appreciate it.
"...the rich behaved the worst..." said 400 years ago.

Nothing really ever changes in our miserable species.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

So.... This was what I woke up to today.

Good evening (*Name of Building) community,

We are writing to inform you that a member of our community has tested positive for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). We are obligated to protect the privacy of all our residents. For that reason, we cannot share the identity or address of this resident.

In response, we continue to execute best practices regarding cleanliness to include frequent cleaning with a focus on disinfecting hard surfaces and common areas of the property. We have also implemented additional precautionary measures including but not limited to: closure of ALL amenities, limiting access to our office, encouraging virtual tours, postponing resident events and prioritizing emergency work orders while postponing non-urgent ones in an effort to limit additional risk.

We remain committed to the well-being of our employees, residents, and guests while continuing to operate our community as effectively as possible.

For the most reliable and recent information about COVID-19, please visit:
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov
• Illinois Department of Public Health: www.dph.illinois.gov
We will update you immediately if and when more information becomes available. We appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Management

It's inevitable that there is more than just one person who is positive in the building.
My guess is it will continue to spread being that there are so many people coming in and out of the building - including but not limited to a lot of health care workers.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Work building or apartment building?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 289

Apartment
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Be safe
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 289

Thank you!
Some residents have a washer and dryer in their apartment and for those who don't, there is a laundry room.
When I told security I was surprised they are keeping the laundry room open I was told, "They have to, people need clean clothes". My response was, "Actually, no they don't have to but if they choose to keep it open what they have to do is a better job of maintaining the laundry room and policing it".
I sent an email to management saying that while I understand the need for people to do their laundry, they need to monitor the laundry room and perhaps only allow one person in there at a time and also make it mandatory that each resident wipe down whatever units they use.

I'm considering moving out and finding a house in bumble fuck to go rent but the problems with that are a) I don't own a car right now so it will be very difficult to get around. b) I have no idea how long this is going to last. c) I feel the need to be around for my 86 year old mother who is missing a third of a lung and isn't physically well. I am going to isolate from her for a while but I think my being nearby gives her a sense of security.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sorry to hear that, Gutter. It might be a little late, but maybe blast this out to all your apartment building neighbors:

Warning! Bad Language!

https://twitter.com/DarkStarF2/status/1 ... tfw">March
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 289

I hear ya Feral.
Problem is it's a no win situation - in that if some/many of our residents stay home then other people die - being that there are a lot of doctors and nurses who live in the building.
May come down to survival of the "fittest".
Only positive that comes out of this is if I feel the need to get tested I have a better chance of it happening easier now.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Good luck, Gutter. Be safe.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Best to you and your Mom Gutter.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Good luck Gutter
Just Ledoux it
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Be safe, Gutter.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 289

I appreciate the sentiment folks.
Thankfully this isn't about me (at least not yet) and my main concern right now is for my fellow residents and the employees in the building.
As I mentioned recently, there is a Daycare center for Northwestern Hospital workers that is located in my building. It's now closed.
My hope is none of the kids (nor the workers) have contracted (and/or spread) the virus.