Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: KU / UTEP Official Game Thread

Post by pdub »

He was burning Dave.
He was burning Mitch.
He was burning Wilson.

Makes sense to put your best defender on him. Guy was just feeling it, played the game of his life. ( maybe he’s had more points in a game v South Eastern Louisiana Tech but this was at AFH )
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Their coach:

"I don't make a lot of complaints about the officiating," Terry said, "but we should have been at the foul line 12 minutes into the game. They're a good defensive team. They do a great job of guarding. But if you can just climb into a guy and hold them the whole way, that's really hard to play against."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also if I’m their coach, and there’s just under 20 seconds left, and we cross halfcourt, I’m calling a timeout and setting up a three point play as my initial look.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

What a weird team. Our "best five" are an elite defender who is an offensive liability, a 165 pound freshman who has some elite "can't teach that" poise but who an offensive liability, a streaky shooter with a nose for rebounds but who still forgets who he is supposed to guard at times, a guard who is Wiggins-like" in that no matter how many points he ends up with, looks like he should have had 10 more points if he had more killer instinct, and a big who alternates between being the best big in the conference and the most incompetent rotation player we've seen in some time. Maddeningly inconsistent.

But that defensive effort down the stretch last night was truly impressive. I was proud of them for pulling that game out. That definitely could have gone off the rails like the first Texas game. UTEP had some street ballers out there that were skilled and feeling an AFH win. Glad we got that turned around before it was too late.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We shouldn’t struggle v UTEP but it makes sense with this team. We got the W and we had to make a big comeback to do so. At least Self has this comeback in his pocket to say we can.

As far as best five, Harris was in our best five last night, but Braun overall is a better player.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:08 am We shouldn’t struggle v UTEP but it makes sense with this team. We got the W and we had to make a big comeback to do so. At least Self has this comeback in his pocket to say we can.

As far as best five, Harris was in our best five last night, but Braun overall is a better player.
Garrett, Harris, Braun, Agbaji and McCormack. Wilson has days where he supplants either Braun or Harris but not consistently.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK, so the five you were describing did not include Wilson?
That's way off -- unless, again, you were just talking about last night, and in that case, Wilson was bad.
Wilson has been inconsistent but he's been in our top 3 best players for the season.

Wilson is 3rd in our team in scoring, 1st in rebounding.
He's shooting better from the field than both Ochai and Braun.
Harris has become a factor down the stretch and helps move the ball but you can't say he's close in the total impact to Wilson this year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

10 games prior to last night, Wilson, one game ( v Baylor ) under 10 points:

13 PPG, 10.8 RPG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah in no way is Harris part of the best 5. He was last night, but Wilson is the better of the options.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I am excited to see Harris as an upperclassman though.
Unheralded guards taken to unexpected heights by Bill Self and co.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:50 am I am excited to see Harris as an upperclassman though.
He's so Aaron Miles-like, it's kind of wild. I honestly don't think Bill will want a grad transfer PG. I think he'll want to ride with Harris and Jossell.

Harris is going to have plenty of times where he has a line of 8 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd take a transfer PG if schollies worked out over Jossell though, even if he was there just to serve as backup.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

In todays game your PG needs to be able to shoot. Harris sample size is too small to know if hes a threat. Its been part of marcus' struggle at point.
Just Ledoux it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I'm not comparing him to Dotson by any stretch, so don't get that idea really but....

Dotson was a 33% 3 point shooter. 30% his All-American year. Not great. But he got to the rim, he could finish close to the hoop and knew how to run the offense.

Not saying Harris will shoot enough to make it worth it, but he's more than capable to get to the rim and finish and also is focused on getting teammates involved.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:54 am I'd take a transfer PG if schollies worked out over Jossell though, even if he was there just to serve as backup.
I think this staff is extremely bullish on Jossell. They call him one of the best shooters on the team.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Dot had a decent-looking jumper tho

i don’t even know what to think about Harris’
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:53 am
pdub wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:50 am I am excited to see Harris as an upperclassman though.
He's so Aaron Miles-like, it's kind of wild. I honestly don't think Bill will want a grad transfer PG. I think he'll want to ride with Harris and Jossell.

Harris is going to have plenty of times where he has a line of 8 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals.
I like Harris, but for him to really work as PG on an elite team he needs to be the 4th or 5th best player in the starting 5.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So for Harris to be good enough to start at PG he needs to be one of the top 5 players.
Sounds fair.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

You have a lineup next year of Harris, BT, CB, Wilson and Dave. That's a solid lineup.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm keeping a senior Ochai in that lineup.
I'm pulling for him to stay.