BBQ

You Love It.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: BBQ

Post by jhawks99 »

Mjl wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:27 am So... What do you do when you take the cover off your smoker that you haven't used since fall and find that it's completely full of mold because you must have forgotten to dump the water out and probably didn't put the cover back on before it rained?

I did that, and did a hot burn and scrub. The mold came back. I eventually got a new smoker.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Got a pork butt going low and slow for about an hour and a half before the wind picked up. Now finishing it in the oven. More winter blowing in. 5-12 inches forecast by tomorrow evenin. In the meantime rocking out with beav cuz he apparently somehow never knew about the flaming lips. Wtf beav?

Some day I’d like to live somewhere I can smoke all year, but til then, I’ll enjoy skiing in April. This storm should put the bears back to bed too.

This post covers topics that could otherwise be in other threads, but for that pork butt.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

The local grocery store had ham on sale, I got a BFH for like 8 bucks. I also have some lamb shanks marinating in olive oil, garlic, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and white wine. and rosemary. Supposed to get storms tomorrow, but I plan on firing up the smoker anyway.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just open the vents a little more if its cold and leter rip. Just block the wind from the vents or it'll stoke those flames and fuck up the meat.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Leftover pulled pork for days.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Same here, except it's ham. The definition of eternity is two people and a ham.
Defense. Rebounds.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:40 am Same here, except it's ham. The definition of eternity is two people and a ham.
lol!
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Watched this last night.
Made me homesick.

https://youtu.be/AZgD2pn8CAQ
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

How did they get LC out of his chair?
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Man, they really went hard after the Fiorellas.
Deleted User 62

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:00 pm How did they get LC out of his chair?
LMAO
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:16 pm Man, they really went hard after the Fiorellas.
To be fair, burnt ends don't come from pigs.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 62

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:36 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:16 pm Man, they really went hard after the Fiorellas.
Truf.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:36 am
Agree with the sentiment, but had never seen that kind of shade thrown around. As you're aware, food/beverage service is a small community here.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I went back and re-watched it. Mike Pearce and Gary Berbiglia were a little harsh, but most of them just stated their opinion. Jack's is one of the most popular joints in KC, maybe there's some jealousy going on. I got in a little hot water on another forum when I said that Jack's Stack was just OK, fine for soccer moms and tourists, but not serious KC barbecue. Seems she was both. Someone from Chicago "who knew KC barbecue".

And while Q39 is great stuff, they deviate from the classic more than anybody. Trim off the point and grill it? Not sure that can be called burnt ends. OK Joe's trims off the point and puts it back in the smoker for a couple hours.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 62

Yeah, I would say that Jack's Stack is definitely the go to for tourists.

Especially after they look.a little too closely to the 'cleanliness" at AB's
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:38 pm I went back and re-watched it. Mike Pearce and Gary Berbiglia were a little harsh, but most of them just stated their opinion. Jack's is one of the most popular joints in KC, maybe there's some jealousy going on. I got in a little hot water on another forum when I said that Jack's Stack was just OK, fine for soccer moms and tourists, but not serious KC barbecue. Seems she was both. Someone from Chicago "who knew KC barbecue".

And while Q39 is great stuff, they deviate from the classic more than anybody. Trim off the point and grill it? Not sure that can be called burnt ends. OK Joe's trims off the point and puts it back in the smoker for a couple hours.
Yeah, and I'm not even saying they're wrong or shouldn't have said it. I was just surprised to not hear the usual "there's room for everyone and we make each other better blah blah blah."

The jealousy angle is interesting. It is a completely different skill to run a restaurant than it is to cook good food. OK Joe's, Jack Stack, Q39--they are absolute business and restaurant machines. AB's, LC's, great food, among my favorite, not nearly as great from a business angle. Jack Stack and Q39, in particular, saw a market and conquered it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:52 pm Yeah, I would say that Jack's Stack is definitely the go to for tourists.
It's Joe's now. Which, is a little sad b/c it used to be a gas station where you could walk up to the counter and get a quick sandwich. I bet I go 2, maybe 3x a year now. Good for them, though.

Jack Stack gets the out-of-town business crowd and post-church crowd.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I haven't been to Joe's in a long while.
It was solid the last time I went but PACKED full of Iowa State fans - i.e. tourists - and a wait out the door.
I've never been to Bryant's where i've had to wait out the door and I prefer Bryant's anyways.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

^^^yep. AB.

I won't turn my nose up at Gates, either. One brother does. Think that's more b/c of a snarky checkout attendant than his discerning palate...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...