Official NCAA 2nd round (32) game thread: KU vs Auburn

Kansas Basketball.
ArgentineHawk

Re: Official NCAA 2nd round (32) game thread: KU vs Auburn

Post by ArgentineHawk »

lobster wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:10 pm In some ways, this game reminded me of 2008 when we played against UNC. Lots of points off mistakes leading to transition points, lots of 3's, etc. If Auburn plays like this against UNC, they will advance. But, they live and die by the 3, and if you take away their transition game, they are just decent.

I'm excited for next year. Almost all our guys will be back. There's a lot to be excited about, but it will take time.
Auburn is going to get steamrolled by UNC. They had their great game tonight and I totally expect them to get ran out of the gym next Friday.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I am sad that KU basketball is over for the season. I am not sad that this season is over. Man, this was not a very fun season all in all.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Same.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

ArgentineHawk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:16 pm
lobster wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:10 pm In some ways, this game reminded me of 2008 when we played against UNC. Lots of points off mistakes leading to transition points, lots of 3's, etc. If Auburn plays like this against UNC, they will advance. But, they live and die by the 3, and if you take away their transition game, they are just decent.

I'm excited for next year. Almost all our guys will be back. There's a lot to be excited about, but it will take time.
Auburn is going to get steamrolled by UNC. They had their great game tonight and I totally expect them to get ran out of the gym next Friday.
We shall see. It depends on which version of Vick shows up.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ArgentineHawk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:16 pm

I just hope Houston comes out of that region now.
Fuck Kentucky, UNC and Auburn.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:14 pm Zion is a nice talent, but this game is about three pointers.
Tip your hat to auburn for how they shot, but we gave up 30 something points in transition in the first half, that's on us.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Auburn should have lost to NMSU. I think that embarrsassment pushed them to execute almost perfectly. Young teams punched in the mouth panic. That second half was about as good as KU could possibly muster.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:14 pm Zion is a nice talent, but this game is about three pointers.
Tip your hat to auburn for how they shot, but we gave up 30 something points in transition in the first half, that's on us.
We were guarding the lane. The transition points were threes that can get you benched when the rim out.
Last edited by Sparko on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 pm Auburn should have lost to NMSU. I think that embarrsassment pushed them to execute almost perfectly. Young teams punched in the mouth panic. That second half was about as good as KU could possibly muster.
The first half was as bad as we could muster.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Auburn was the worst team we could have seen at this stage in the tourney with our seed.
We kept it closer than Tennessee did just a week ago.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Like Bill said, it was really an incredible eight minute run that decided it. They were fast enough to get down the court and launch threes on anyone. It is really risky. They miss half of those and they are runouts the other way
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:33 pm Auburn was the worst team we could have seen at this stage in the tourney with our seed.
Yeah man, they pounded Tennessee. UNC better bring their A game.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:33 pm Auburn was the worst team we could have seen at this stage in the tourney with our seed.
Yeah. Spoiled fans here. But they are on a historic run. Iona was in the game with UNC.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It was their first sweet 16 in 16 years.
If we don't make a sweet 16 we feel like our season is a failure.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

How did Bill even cobble this together? Kansas would have competed well with a different regional. Which is pretty amazing. Auburn was to be avoided.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would have preferred to play Florida State, Wisconsin, Mississippi State.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Since Vick left the team, we have played away from home against teams seeded 3, 5, 6 and 9 in the tourney and lost to all of them by double digits. Northeastern was our only win vs a tourney team away from AFH without Vick and Dok.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:40 pm It was their first sweet 16 in 16 years.
If we don't make a sweet 16 we feel like our season is a failure.
I don’t feel like the season was a failure at all.

As always, lots of reasons to celebrate.

As not as often, though, many reasons to raise an eyebrow with this team, and potentially to the future.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We didn’t win a conference title, conference tourney and lost in the first weekend. We got blown out in some of the most important games.

For most programs getting a 4 seed in the tourney would be cause to celebrate. Bar has been set at Kansas — so for Kansas, this is a failure.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Based on what we had, and happened through course of year, nah.

In a historical vacuum, sure.