2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by holidaysmore »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:07 pm If it weren’t for the “typical libs” comment, that’s a decent post from dolomite.

Dude was fishing in his own private life. If he takes his private beliefs to work and they are offensive, then there should be a problem. I don’t like how torches blaze when someone finds something out about your private life and applies it to your place of work.
I would normally agree with you on that if you were a regular, run of the norm American citizen but when your job is coaching football at a perennial Top 25-50 school in the country and oh, I don't know half of your team is black then it becomes a problem. Either Gun was real dumb or real tone def.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So many missing the real and only point. Sure, he's both dumb and tone deaf. His players really don't like it. Not to mention you have to wonder how Barry feels about it, whom Gundy owes his career to. That's the issue. There are no pitch forks for wearing a shirt. Who cares what news he watches.

This is similar to the Donald Sterling situation.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:03 am So many missing the real and only point. Sure, he's both dumb and tone deaf. His players really don't like it. Not to mention you have to wonder how Barry feels about it, whom Gundy owes his career to. That's the issue. There are no pitch forks for wearing a shirt. Who cares what news he watches.

Barry Sanders?

Again, it matters what kind of shirt he is wearing when an OAN analyst came out and said that the BLM movement was a 'farce'. When at least half of your team is black that is a problem.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:03 am So many missing the real and only point. Sure, he's both dumb and tone deaf. His players really don't like it. Not to mention you have to wonder how Barry feels about it, whom Gundy owes his career to. That's the issue. There are no pitch forks for wearing a shirt. Who cares what news he watches.

Barry Sanders?

Again, it matters what kind of shirt he is wearing when an OAN analyst came out and said that the BLM movement was a 'farce'. When at least half of your team is black that is a problem.
Yes, Barry Sanders. And, I don't disagree with you at all, just trying to shape what the story really is. This is a much bigger story because of Hubbard's understandable reaction. If it's just the shirt, Gundy's just another dumbass redneck football coach.

What Hubbard is saying: if these coaches want to tout and sell that they are shaping young men, then they better lead by example or we're out. It's a very fair stance. Gundy went in to Hubbard's house, told his parents that he cares about him as a person and will mold him.

Meanwhile, on Gundy's own time, he's sending a message to Hubbard and his black players that he actually cares little for the issues that are important to them. I can understand at least questioning what Gundy would think of them if they weren't any good at football. Using Hubbard's words, that is unacceptable for Gundy's black players. Especially coming from a man that has made millions off the backs off of All-American black players like Barry, Thurman and now Hubbard.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

kstate had 2 positive cases Tuesday and 4 on Wednesday.

It's truly going to get to the point that it's going to be very tough for their to be a full NFL/CFB season if they even have a season. Unless they honestly quarantine the players from class/social settings.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Think about the amount of people that a college football player is exposed to in a 15 day span, the relevant time frame considering the generally accepted 14-day incubation period.

That's 3 football games against teams that have 90 players on the roster each. Each take it back to campuses with 10's of 1000's of people.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Big KU recruit, Neal from Lawrence High just got bumped to a 4 star and is the 139th prospect in the country. Best prospect in Kansas as well.

Would be highest rated HS recruit in KU history. Not bad.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Yes, Barry Sanders. And, I don't disagree with you at all, just trying to shape what the story really is. This is a much bigger story because of Hubbard's understandable reaction. If it's just the shirt, Gundy's just another dumbass redneck football coach.

What Hubbard is saying: if these coaches want to tout and sell that they are shaping young men, then they better lead by example or we're out. It's a very fair stance. Gundy went in to Hubbard's house, told his parents that he cares about him as a person and will mold him.

Meanwhile, on Gundy's own time, he's sending a message to Hubbard and his black players that he actually cares little for the issues that are important to them. I can understand at least questioning what Gundy would think of them if they weren't any good at football. Using Hubbard's words, that is unacceptable for Gundy's black players. Especially coming from a man that has made millions off the backs off of All-American black players like Barry, Thurman and now Hubbard.
100% agreed, CnB. I must have been reading your original posts in the wrong context.

Unless they come out with a vaccination or there is a very clear and explicit understanding that a lot of players are going to get 'sick' and that come fall a 'whose who' of players may have to sit because of exposure I would have to agree that playing a full season of college sports seems unlikely. They can't lock these kids in their dorm rooms or in the facilities for the entire season. I was told that there was already lines outside of the Bull and Hawk last weekend. Imagine what will happen when 'all' of the students are back in town. Granted, the likely hood of deaths or severe cases for individuals under 25 is very rare but we are going to see article after article or news story after story about spikes in 'Rona cases on college campuses and if playing is the right thing to do. I would have to assume that eventually they will cave to public pressure and shut down similar to what happened this year with the tournament.

I had to look that up because I was curious. Pooka, was a four star who was ranked 272. That is the second highest high school kid KU has ever got. We did have Marcel Combs, who was #4 overall and good ol' Joc Crawford, who was #12 from the Juco side. I don't believe Combs even suited up and Joc was a huge bust.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

But that is what OAN is all about and that is why the players are pissed. And there are many examples of other incendiary stupidity there.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:34 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:07 pm If it weren’t for the “typical libs” comment, that’s a decent post from dolomite.

Dude was fishing in his own private life. If he takes his private beliefs to work and they are offensive, then there should be a problem. I don’t like how torches blaze when someone finds something out about your private life and applies it to your place of work.
I would normally agree with you on that if you were a regular, run of the norm American citizen but when your job is coaching football at a perennial Top 25-50 school in the country and oh, I don't know half of your team is black then it becomes a problem. Either Gun was real dumb or real tone def.
He's wearing a shirt.
While fishing with his friends.
And the shirt isn't a swastika, it's a cable channel, carried on a number of cable packages.

Overreaction city.
I'm not saying he can't do whatever he wants in reaction - he certainly can, just like Gundy can wear the shirt - it's just standard for people to latch on board the social train, pretend to care just for their pound of flesh.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean. It’s pretty obvious that Gundy won’t be able to recruit like he has before, right?

https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/1 ... 70306?s=21

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Crootin' just got a whole lot harder for the Pokes. Boone Pickens $$$$ will only get you so far.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yet another example why you shouldn’t mix politics or religion when doing business.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Gundy isn’t going anywhere. Oklahoma State is as weird as Texas A&M And Bluemont.

Good looking cheerleaders though
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Curious as to why you think this..

It's not like Gundy has been incredible the last 5-6 years.

7-6, 10-3, 10-3, 10-3, 7-6, 8-5.

They are 2-13 vs OU in his time at oSu.

Yeah he's a good coach and would likely get hired somewhere else pretty fast, but for their facilities and T Boone money, they should be at 9 wins minimum every year.

Add his lack of success for that program on top of the recent news, it's getting to be more likely like Gundy is on the final countdown at oSu. Don't know how long the countdown is, but the moment they struggle and he loses the locker room, it's over.

Side note, it seems ESPN is doing a documentary with Oklahoma State similar to what KU did this last year.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Eventually as coach you reach the 'consistency' will only get you so far stage and you either transition to competing for New Years Six Bowls or you get fired. You mix in a PR nightmare like Gundy has quickly become he might have just put himself on the hot seat without him even realizing it.

Of course, that isn't to say that Gundy can't dig himself out of that hole by winning football games and winning the PR battle via a show like ESPN. We as Americans love to celebrate someone, tear them right down, and then build them back up again. Nothing like a good ol' redemption story.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ropaganda/

They have been on a Russian-inspired Antifa bender for years while stirring up racial division. Gundy can play unknowing good old boy somewhere else.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Don’t think football will happen, you guys.

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1 ... 05956?s=21

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just came here to post this. Not sure how we're gonna have sports until we have a vaccine
Just Ledoux it