Vega, your post, while comprehensive, is missing a couple of things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILEapoVwdyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVgV5O4qunA
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 307

Re: More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Post by Deleted User 307 »

Feral wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:04 pm Vega, your post, while comprehensive, is missing a couple of things:
I was merely talking about a near majority of certain folks taking the pandemic as a sign of God's return, and a segment of that population jerking off to the thought of it.

Times like this made me grateful I'm in a heathenish city, and don't have to deal with people staring up into the sky like a Millerite
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Vega wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 pm Poll: 29% see Biblical ‘last days,’ 44% say virus is God’s ‘wake-up call’

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/wash ... ke-up-call

Meanwhile, the discussion of the matter:

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/th ... ll.158989/

"Polls are a sampling only, so we don't know for sure except God. Even if the numbers are less than a million, it is still a cause for rejoicing. Clearly the Spirit is moving in these last days, and perhaps this could bring the final harvest."

"I have been praying that those that are asleep will wake up and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. The time is getting short and this has been a wake up call for those that will listen. :pray"

"So very interesting is your observation! My wife and I have been discussing this the last two years or so as we observed "the season" seem to clarify and crystallize. We wondered if we understood the character of God enough to presume that He would offer a final "revival" or chance to come to Him before the plans of eternity were unfolded. We came to the same conclusion that you opined... that God likely would offer mercy before the final harvest... could this really be "the time of the season?"

"I believe God is trying to shake and wake people up to getting right with him so they will be in heaven. I also think our redemption is drawing near by looking at all the signs. Wouldn't it be something if we fly :rapture away on Resurrection Day!"

"I was standing on my little "X" in line to get into the local pharmacy and spoke to the lady next to me, asking her take on what was happening with her world, she was not a church goer and I asked if she had a bible, she said no but said "funnily" her 20 something year old son had phoned her and asked if she had one so he could look into something he had heard about what was happening ..... I suggested she get a bible and read the gospel of John, and talked more about the things taking place as biblical and just as I was ushered into the shop the lady on the otherside of this woman quoted Matthew 24:7 and took over the conversation ......... God at work!!"

"Great news. Every soul saved causes Heaven to rejoice and every soul saved brings us all a step closer to going home. :bouncies:dance:ring"

"Some people have heard it their whole life, but it just doesn't mesh with the life they want to live. But you put the fear of God in them, something may change. Sorta of like a death bed conversion. They know something's going to happen, and they fear it's what they've been hearing all along.
All that's fine, as long as you don't wait one second too long. Glad to not be in that group"

"Perhaps this is because it was weighing on my mind, but I awoke this am with a rumbling, a jolt, and a noise of a trumpet.It was the craziest thing and I was not dreaming."

"My concern is jail house/fox hole conversions. I hope those who are saying YES to Jesus intend to continue to say YES to Jesus. I am not being cynical because I know that Jesus knows their hearts. And many, hopefully most, mean it and will get into a regular Bible Study with Good Bible teachers who will lead them responsibly in truth! :)"

"My siblings are talking end times a bit but my dad is still scoffing at the idea because he remembers the 70s when people became obsessed with it and they scared him and then nothing happened. And I am old enough to remember people saying the first Persian Gulf War was end-times. I was 8 and went to a Christian school and my teacher kept telling us it was World War 3 and freaked me out so badly and my mom was not happy with her. The teacher was legitimately unhinged though and had a vendetta against her male students. The crazies have certainly turned a lot of otherwise sincere believers (even other pre-tribbers) off of prophecy"
I’m sure that was not a biased polling sample in the least. I don’t personally know anyone who would agree with any of those forum statements. Of course, I also don’t know anyone who speaks in tongues or who is a snake handler, so I may be missing out.

Bad things happen all of the time because we live in an imperfect world full of imperfect people. We all have our own ways of explaining things so that we feel like we have some measure of control.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Vega wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:12 pm
Feral wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:04 pm Vega, your post, while comprehensive, is missing a couple of things:
I was merely talking about a near majority of certain folks taking the pandemic as a sign of God's return, and a segment of that population jerking off to the thought of it.

Times like this made me grateful I'm in a heathenish city, and don't have to deal with people staring up into the sky like a Millerite
I would guess the the numbers of these people are miniscule. Also, I would guess that the vast majority of them are in the deep south and or kentucky.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Also,I think its hedonistic, but I've been wrong before.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 307

Hedonistic is more sinful, actively looking for pleasure

Heathen is more godless, not following a religion
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:57 pm

I would guess the the numbers of these people are miniscule. Also, I would guess that the vast majority of them are in the deep south and or kentucky.
Why you gotta pick on Kentucky?
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Feral wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:32 am Sorry, the last two posts of mine above were intended for the "Petri Dish..." thread.

pdub should move them.

dammit
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Vega wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:06 pm Hedonistic is more sinful, actively looking for pleasure

Well heathen is godless in the sense that they dont believe in the mainstrem god, allah, jesus type person,not that theyre godless/beliefless/atheist. Moreso that theyre a pagan. Or maybe I'm wrong. I dont actually know, thats just what Ive always thought.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:23 am

No disrespect 99, but youre the best thing in Kentucky since the Colonel.
Just Ledoux it
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:27 am
jhawks99 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:23 am

No disrespect 99, but youre the best thing in Kentucky since the Colonel.
..and Pappy van Winkle.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
Deleted User 307

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:26 am
Vega wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:06 pm Hedonistic is more sinful, actively looking for pleasure

Well heathen is godless in the sense that they dont believe in the mainstrem god, allah, jesus type person,not that theyre godless/beliefless/atheist. Moreso that theyre a pagan. Or maybe I'm wrong. I dont actually know, thats just what Ive always thought.
I believe heathen was the word Christians used to describe Pagans or followers of other non-Judeo-Christian religions. It used to be more of a slur, but now it can just be a description.

I don't know enough about Hedonistic but I feel it's not the correct term here, because it's not a pleasure seeking city (I would use maybe Miami as a better example). Instead, NY is not particularly religious, thus Heathenism is a good descriptor. We do talk in tongues, but it's not particullary hard to learn.

Fuggedaboutit
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NYC is a pleasure seeking city, you kiddin' me?
Deleted User 307

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:11 am NYC is a pleasure seeking city, you kiddin' me?
Nah, maybe parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn, but 80% of the city is about making money. Either to survive, or for status.

Compared to cities like Miami or LA, it's more work in NYC. Or to visit, sure.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Work hard, play hard.
Deleted User 307

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:24 am Work hard, play hard.
That's New York, but Hedonism is more, "life's too short, so just play hard."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Fair.
Yea, it's definitely not solely 'fuck it, let's get fucked up' but it's, 'ok, its 8 pm, and i have work at 6 am, but fuck it, let's get fucked up.'
Deleted User 307

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:15 am Fair.
Yea, it's definitely not solely 'fuck it, let's get fucked up' but it's, 'ok, its 8 pm, and i have work at 6 am, but fuck it, let's get fucked up.'
A Hedonist would never go to work at 6 am. Unless that's what they are into.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

No pain no gain
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 307

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:39 amNo pain no gain
That's sadism.