Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: 2024

Post by ousdahl »

what's the homestead situation like in other parts of the country or world?

guessing Arkansas may be among the better places to do it, considering there's prob more water and fertile land and such compared to the arid deserty stuff across so much of the west
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

you can homestead anywhere....we've been m doing it for centuries all across the globe.

It takes a ton of work though, and adaptability and there's a huge learning curve.

Lots of effort, actual work and adapting strategy and thought process based on changing information......its not something you'd be interested in or excel at, based on your last decade here.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

goddamn dude
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:19 pm
japhy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:45 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:25 pm

Arkansas has some super cheap land.

Not my favorite country, but there is some pretty fantastic homesteading land down thataway.
Do post photos of the new homestead when you settle down there. And don't approach your neighbor's meth lab without calling first.
I won't be headed there. I do know a guy that just bought 358 acres down there for super super cheap though. He's been there a few months now.
I looked at land down there about 12 years ago. There is good trout fishing down there. Every time we looked at a parcel of land we walked it to see if there were active meth labs on the property, cuz chances are we weren't going to move them. It is surprising how many meth labs you can find in the woods if you look. That was the tip of the iceberg. The land was cheap, in the end we decided it was not worth it.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

japhy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:04 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:19 pm
japhy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:45 pm

Do post photos of the new homestead when you settle down there. And don't approach your neighbor's meth lab without calling first.
I won't be headed there. I do know a guy that just bought 358 acres down there for super super cheap though. He's been there a few months now.
I looked at land down there about 12 years ago. There is good trout fishing down there. Every time we looked at a parcel of land we walked it to see if there were active meth labs on the property, cuz chances are we weren't going to move them. It is surprising how many meth labs you can find in the woods if you look. That was the tip of the iceberg. The land was cheap, in the end we decided it was not worth it.
we used to float the Buffalo River down there fairly often in the 80s. just beautiful country really. But, I don't think I could live in that State, and I belive the meth and drug problems have only increased over the years.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Democrats flipped the district Republican George Santos won in 2022. Yay!!!!

So...Much...Winning!

(You have to wonder how much worse it would have been if Republicans had run a Republican, instead of a registered Democrat?)

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: "So...Much...Winning!"

In addition to flipping Republican Rep. George Santos' seat in the US congress last night, the Democrat running in a special election in a suburb of Philadelphia for a seat in the Penn state legislature won, too. It gives the Dems a slim 102-100 advantage in the house. Republicans have the majority in the Penn senate. (The Gov is a Dem.)

Oh, and speaking of the state of Pennsylvania:

Democrats have kept all six seats that have gone up for special elections in the past year, in mostly reliably Democratic districts.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:21 am Today In: "So...Much...Winning!"

In addition to flipping Republican Rep. George Santos' seat in the US congress last night, the Democrat running in a special election in a suburb of Philadelphia for a seat in the Penn state legislature won, too. It gives the Dems a slim 102-100 advantage in the house. Republicans have the majority in the Penn senate. (The Gov is a Dem.)

Democrats have kept all six seats that have gone up for special elections in the past year, in mostly reliably Democratic districts.
Which is of course extremely significant, as a bulwark against fuckery.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is an excellent plan…to lose every single marginally-competitive race.

https://x.com/dncwarroom/status/1757576 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
Lara Trump says if she is elected as co-Chair of the Republican Party, “every single penny” of party funding will be spent toward Donald Trump
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:34 am

Oh hell yes. And especially in a swing state like Pennsylvania.

Because you see evidence every day that there's an inexhaustible supply of craven Republican state legislature members across the US who aspire to be like US Rep Stefanik and US Senator Vance if only given the chance, eager to do anything for Trump, while Americans and and our votes can go fuck themselves.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:52 am

Because you see evidence every day that there's an inexhaustible supply of craven Republican state legislature members across the US who aspire to be like US Rep Stefanik and US Senator Vance if only given the chance, eager to do anything for Trump, while Americans and and our votes can go fuck themselves.
I do wonder - and this relates to the Lara Trump clip I posted as well as your post - whether we’re getting to a point where a meaningful number of Rs who were swept up in the Trump nonsense in 2016 and then begrudgingly held the line in 2020* will simply slink into the background in 2024, not so unlike Homer disappearing into the bushes.

* Let’s call these BUT HER EMAILZZZ Rs.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:59 am

I do wonder - and this relates to the Lara Trump clip I posted as well as your post - whether we’re getting to a point where a meaningful number of Rs who were swept up in the Trump nonsense in 2016 and then begrudgingly held the line in 2020* will simply slink into the background in 2024, not so unlike Homer disappearing into the bushes.

Surely you must be referring to those bastions of integrity, Senators "little Marco" Rubio, and Lindsay Graham.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:06 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:59 am

Surely you must be referring to those bastions of integrity, Senators "little Marco" Rubio, and Lindsay Graham.
I meant more on the voter side. I am wondering if the BHE Rs will just...not turn out.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Ahhh, thanks for 'splaining, I did misunderstand you.

"They" were trying to add that as a reason for why Suozzi won by the margin he did last night, but couldn't be sure because of the impact that bad weather and running an unknown candidate might have had, too. But "they" thought lack of enthusiasm by Republicans played a role in people not being motivated enough to brave the weather.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:22 am Ahhh, thanks for 'splaining, I did misunderstand you.

"They" were trying to add that as a reason for why Suozzi won by the margin he did last night, but couldn't be sure because of the impact that bad weather and running an unknown candidate might have had, too. But "they" thought lack of enthusiasm played a role in people not being motivated enough to brave the weather.
Trump's ego-driven social media posting to the contrary, the R candidate leaned all the way into Trump/MAGA. And got destroyed, deservingly, for it.

People are over it, and the Rs will just lose and lose and lose and lose until they stop aimlessly demagoguing like it's 2016 (or 1996) and start actually responding to their voters' present feelings on policy matters.

But when you form an opposition party around gun nut and Jesus nut funding...choices have consequences.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The Issues That Are Starting to Really Matter Are Democratic Issues

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... -election/
On Tuesday, on his second try, Speaker of the House Mike Johnson got his impeachment resolution against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas passed by one whole vote on its way to a sudden, bloody death in the Senate. Later that evening, Johnson's majority got slimmed down even further—and we're heading into Xeno's Paradox territory here—as Democrat Tom Suozzi flipped the House seat that was once garnished by George Santos, International Man Of Mendacity. That is a rich, full day.

Of course, Rep. Warren Davidson did tell CNN's Manu Raju that, if Johnson has the audacity to bring the Senate's foreign-aid bill to the floor of the House, someone will move to vacate the chair. So, there's that.

For all the talk over the last two weeks about how weak and feeble the top of the ticket is, the Democratic candidates keep winning elections all over the country and, where they're not winning, they're gnawing big chunks out of what once were solidly Republican outposts. On Tuesday, In legislative races in Oklahoma, one of our favorite states, Democratic candidates won two special election, and a third candidate shaved what once was an R+26 district down to five points. In the suburbs north of Philadelphia, the Democratic candidate won a special legislative election in a district that the president won by 10 points in 2020. The Democrat won the race Tuesday night by 68 percent to 32.

But Joe Biden is old, you see.

The issues that are starting to bite down hard are Democratic issues. In Suozzi's race, for example, the Republican candidate, Mazi Pilip, went strongly after Suozzi on the issue of immigration and the border, almost to the exclusion of everything else. Suozzi easily deflected the attacks by supporting the now-deceased bipartisan border bill, and by linking Pilip to El Caudillo del Mar-a-Lago as an extremist on the issue. Suozzi drained the invective from that issue and pivoted to economic policies. It appears that, while the immigration issue remains an important one, its political salience as a wedge issue may be limited in its usefulness primarily to Republican primary voters. What seems even clearer is that Trumpism is a bigger general-election millstone than it is reckoned to be. But Joe Biden is old, you see.
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

Word on the street is Biden will be replaced very late in the year. Sounds like it will be either Gavin Newsom or Michelle Obama. Both of them are wildly unpopular so it would be amusing to see them lose. Any other possible changelings?

The problem the democrats face is that even the people who hated Trump are now admitting that their life was much better when Trump was in office. Democrats have just been driving this country into the ground, all for the purpose of making people more poor in hopes they will want more government to "save them".
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Is this "word on the street" the mechanism that you you draw all of your stupidity from?
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

It's the same "word on the street" that saved from getting those toxic covid shots.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Michelle Obama is wildly unpopular?

:lol:

goddamn you’re dumb
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?