Official NCAA 2nd round (32) game thread: KU vs Auburn

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: Official NCAA 2nd round (32) game thread: KU vs Auburn

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:47 pm I do take pride in KU being known for being good at college basketball.
KANSAS is known for being good at basketball. Even the casual fan knows as much.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:34 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:34 pm
Last sentence nailed it. Many casual fans think Kansas is good but not great because of tournament success or whatnot. Those same fans will look at titles and think UConn is a more successful program because they’ve won 3 titles in 20 years.
What the casual fan thinks is of no interest to me. I don't gather my self worth based on what the casual fan thinks. I know KANSAS is one of the 5 best college basketball programs of all time.

What the casual fan thinks is of no interest to me. I'm an adult.
I'm with MICH here.
I know how good Kansas has been.
The casual fan watches a game on Thanskgiving, watches Duke Carolina, and then watches for two weeks in March.

Don't care if they think UConn is a better program than Kansas.
Just like I don't care if some rando person out there thinks the world is flat.
They're wrong.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:52 am Am I wrong to think that a single title over that stretch is perhaps not sufficient to justify such waning?
"Such waning"? WTF? We finished 3rd in the Big 12, won 25 games, got a 4 seed and won a tourney game. Such waning? Good lord.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:32 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:59 pm

I’ve said that same thing since KU last won in 08. Great. KU won 14 in a row but during that time frame they won exactly ONE Natty. Now it depends on which you value more. Some of those years winning the regular season was the ‘national championship’ but other years with the expectations heading into the tournament certain seasons were complete failures. Consistency of 14 years straight or the dumb luck sometimes that you need to win in March. Which do you value more. Not sure if there is a straight answer for that.
I think the frustrating part is that, based on just the one title, the perception of our success over the last couple decades (going back into the Roy era) is not in line with reality.

Put differently - there's a compelling argument that KU has been the best college basketball program in the country for the last...three decades? Three and a half?

But you won't hear casual fans name KU as such.
Last sentence nailed it. Many casual fans think Kansas is good but not great because of tournament success or whatnot. Those same fans will look at titles and think UConn is a more successful program because they’ve won 3 titles in 20 years.
There's really not a compelling argument that Kansas has been THE best over the last 30 years. We are behind Duke and Carolina during that time. Maybe Kentucky.

We are Top 5 in that time frames but not #1. I am sure there are a few categories that we'd be first in but a comprehensive review of the total picture wouldn't have us as the best.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:40 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:32 pm

I think the frustrating part is that, based on just the one title, the perception of our success over the last couple decades (going back into the Roy era) is not in line with reality.

Put differently - there's a compelling argument that KU has been the best college basketball program in the country for the last...three decades? Three and a half?

But you won't hear casual fans name KU as such.
There's really not a compelling argument that Kansas has been THE best over the last 30 years. We are behind Duke and Carolina during that time. Maybe Kentucky.

We are Top 5 in that time frames but not #1. I am sure there are a few categories that we'd be first in but a comprehensive review of the total picture wouldn't have us as the best.
um, what metric/s are you using?
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

You could say we've been the best team in the regular season for the last 15-20 years, but it's kind of impossible to say who's been the best team because there's so many variables. UNC has more titles, but they also have more shitty seasons than we did. Same with Kentucky and Duke.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:01 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:47 pm I do take pride in KU being known for being good at college basketball.
KANSAS is known for being good at basketball. Even the casual fan knows as much.
You're getting closer!

I would prefer if the casual fan understood just how good KU basketball has been over the last 30 years. Having a single title to show during that period, unfortunately, causes many casual fans to overlook or discredit this.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:35 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:52 am Am I wrong to think that a single title over that stretch is perhaps not sufficient to justify such waning?
"Such waning"? WTF? We finished 3rd in the Big 12, won 25 games, got a 4 seed and won a tourney game. Such waning? Good lord.
I...don't think you read what we're even talking about here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:40 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:01 pm
You're getting closer!

I would prefer if the casual fan understood just how good KU basketball has been over the last 30 years. Having a single title to show during that period, unfortunately, causes many casual fans to overlook or discredit this.
If they knew the details then they would no longer be classified as casual fans.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

@Jfish - you’re arguing with morons
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

twocoach wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:47 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:45 pm No team can lose hitting threes at this rate. Bruce Pearl has a team swarming like Frank Martin and shooting like Golden State. He always gets his money’s worth
This is the 4th team we've made look like a Final Four team in the last month.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Gqcolorado wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:37 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:47 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:45 pm No team can lose hitting threes at this rate. Bruce Pearl has a team swarming like Frank Martin and shooting like Golden State. He always gets his money’s worth
This is the 4th team we've made look like a Final Four team in the last month.
The other two teams we made look like Final Four teams lost to an 11 seed and a 13 seed in the first round.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Most of us didn’t get 2 final four teams right in our bracket picks, but you keep on keepin’
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shit.

When I saw this thread bumped, I figured the game was overturned on further review, and we won.

Bummer.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Not yet, at least.

Refs still reviewing. Need that frame-by-frame slowed down from a couple more angles.

And then after that they still gotta meet with twocoach to conclude whether their conclusions are conclusive, or simply that they felt they had compelling enough reason.