SCOTUS

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: SCOTUS

Post by ousdahl »

Dang. You’re prob right.

I almost commented something like “abortion may be more valuable as a hot button issue than as an actual end game”

But the end game all along likely has been that “own the libs” sense of winning more so than actually doing away with abortion.

And I’d ask what other issue could replace abortion, considering abortion is such a unique issue (cue the “unborn are a convenient group of people to advocate for” pastor quote), but perhaps the substance of the issue itself isn’t as important as the ownage.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

abortion is a fringe issue. most don't give it much thought. most don't vote one way or the other because of it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:30 pm
zsn wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:31 pm In a very cynical way I’m rooting for the SCOTUS to overturn Roe and kick it to the States. We’ll have a clear sorting out of pro-choice and forced-birth States. More importantly it would remove one of two or three things which Republicans actually want to work on. This way the main thing they would be left with is White Supremacy. It would likely stop bringing the single issue voters to the polls, and at least then the extremists like MTG and Boebert will stop getting elected
I hope so. But I also fear that the "winning" of culture wars has far exceeded in importance the substance of any particular front; if the lunatics "win" abortion, the lust for power and control may well just find a new host issue.
That will be a necessity. I'm guessing transgender will be one of their targets. Maybe even marriage equality.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:44 pm abortion is a fringe issue. most don't give it much thought. most don't vote one way or the other because of it.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/313316/one ... issue.aspx
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:54 pm
zsn wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:31 pm In a very cynical way I’m rooting for the SCOTUS to overturn Roe and kick it to the States. We’ll have a clear sorting out of pro-choice and forced-birth States. More importantly it would remove one of two or three things which Republicans actually want to work on. This way the main thing they would be left with is White Supremacy. It would likely stop bringing the single issue voters to the polls, and at least then the extremists like MTG and Boebert will stop getting elected
I hope so. But I also fear that the "winning" of culture wars has far exceeded in importance the substance of any particular front; if the lunatics "win" abortion, the lust for power and control may well just find a new host issue.
That will be a necessity. I'm guessing transgender will be one of their targets. Maybe even marriage equality.
I think it's clear they're coming for a number of landmark cases that revolve around "progressive" social issues.

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/21/these- ... d_partner/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Do those issues have the potential to backfire?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:59 pm

Do those issues have the potential to backfire?
Does it matter if the long-term gerrymandering project has been successful?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ha, good point.

But it still kinda seems like some game of chicken between banking on gerrymandering, and doubling down on an increasingly exclusive and alienating agenda.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:25 pm Ha, good point.

But it still kinda seems like some game of chicken between banking on gerrymandering, and doubling down on an increasingly exclusive and alienating agenda.
Definitely agree it's a game of chicken. But it's one that I'm not sure the Democrats realize might be lost as soon as the midterms.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:56 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:44 pm abortion is a fringe issue. most don't give it much thought. most don't vote one way or the other because of it.
It’s the #1 issue for republicans
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:44 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:56 pm
It’s the #1 issue for republicans
Fine. But because MICH doesn't personally care, "the folks" conclusively do not care.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

no one outside of the fringe right and the fringe left give abortion much thought at all.

this board focuses mostly on stuff that is for the fringes. that's what internet whackjobs do.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:53 pm no one outside of the fringe right and the fringe left give abortion much thought at all.

this board focuses mostly on stuff that is for the fringes. that's what internet whackjobs do.
That's simply not true, though; it might be the case that only the "fringe right" truly cares about outlawing abortion, but that segment is the tail that wags the R dog through funding, etc.

As for the other side of the issue - legal abortion is an enormously popular, party-line-crossing thing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

umm

bro but the fringe right IS the right.

Tail’s wagged the dog for a while meow

(Dang fish beat me to it)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is legal abortion that bipartisanly popular?

Didn’t DC used to say that abortion is one of the rare issues that is actually getting more conservative on a popular level?

And as it pertains to scotus, I wonder how strongly the issue of abortion correlates to pounding through justices with otherwise mostly a “pro-business” agenda or whatever?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i could walk into the mall right now, ask 10 people to share their thoughts on abortion. 8 of 10 would tell me they don't have any. they don't care. they are on their way to see santa, buy presents, and make gingerbread houses with their children.

1 person would go loony right. 1 person would go loony left. proof positive. case closed.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:02 pm i could walk into the mall right now, ask 10 people to share their thoughts on abortion. 8 of 10 would tell me they don't have any. they don't care. they are on their way to see santa, buy presents, and make gingerbread houses with their children.

1 person would go loony right. 1 person would go loony left. proof positive. case closed.
This is a special kind of dumb.
Last edited by Cascadia on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i guess i shouldn’t be surprised, but it’s amazing how easy it is for someone to double down on their ignorant take in the face of indisputable contradictory evidence
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I like how mich seems to think he lives in a Norman Rockwell painting or something.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:02 pm i could walk into the mall right now, ask 10 people to share their thoughts on abortion. 8 of 10 would tell me they don't have any. they don't care. they are on their way to see santa, buy presents, and make gingerbread houses with their children.

Brilliant
Defense. Rebounds.