2020-21 Jayhawks

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2020-21 Jayhawks

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:29 pm not very much talk about DMac

i know it’s early still, but what gives? really expected him to be more effective in all aspects. seems like he’s plateaued, at best...if i’m being honest though, it looks like he’s regressed
He's always had bad stretches here and there, so not completely worried yet. Seems it's just the same issue he's had his whole career, he's just sped up. But, probably not a good thing when you're a junior and that's still the case.

Honestly, not sure why Self told media (and him?) that he'd be this team's leading scorer this year. That makes a guy like Dave press. And he's doing a ton of pressing. Wants every rebound and wants to score every time he touches the ball. Just play.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I know I've posted to be patient with Mac because big guys can start slow in CBB these days, but the clock is t i c k i n g.

And, please Bill, it's not 2005 anymore. Have to stop running the entire offense through your worst starter.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I would hate to rewatch this game with DMac on iso. Just out of position, not finishing strong, saving loose balls into our backboard. The most impressive thing I could say about KU tonight is that they won in spite of DMac. Slow to rotate on defense. Missing loose balls. Missing dunks. But he did hit Wilson. He needs to work on precision. He needs to get his footwork and lane presence right. Or sit for awhile.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Sparko wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:37 pm I would hate to rewatch this game with DMac on iso. Just out of position, not finishing strong, saving loose balls into our backboard. The most impressive thing I could say about KU tonight is that they won in spite of DMac. Slow to rotate on defense. Missing loose balls. Missing dunks. But he did hit Wilson. He needs to work on precision. He needs to get his footwork and lane presence right. Or sit for awhile.
Dmac had a solid game. We dont win without him, easily his best of the year. But there is a lot of room for improvement. I've always thought he was poor hands. he gets his hands on a lot of loose balls that he never can seem to collect. his biggest problem is shying away from contact and trying to finesse fadeaway hooks over the top. we need to teach him to be a bruiser and seek out contact on his post ups
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

randylahey wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:43 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:37 pm I would hate to rewatch this game with DMac on iso. Just out of position, not finishing strong, saving loose balls into our backboard. The most impressive thing I could say about KU tonight is that they won in spite of DMac. Slow to rotate on defense. Missing loose balls. Missing dunks. But he did hit Wilson. He needs to work on precision. He needs to get his footwork and lane presence right. Or sit for awhile.
Dmac had a solid game. We dont win without him, easily his best of the year. But there is a lot of room for improvement. I've always thought he was poor hands. he gets his hands on a lot of loose balls that he never can seem to collect. his biggest problem is shying away from contact and trying to finesse fadeaway hooks over the top. we need to teach him to be a bruiser and seek out contact on his post ups
The team was better without him on the floor. That needs to change IMHO.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder whether Silvio woulda been a factor
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

He looked lost last year
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:11 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:43 pm
The team was better without him on the floor. That needs to change IMHO.
He had a chunk early where he was a positive asset to the team and a chunk in the second half where he was a serious detriment.

He just seems to be in a spell where one mistake becomes mistakes on three straight possessions at both ends that are brutal.

I am hoping that two months from now that he has his shit together and we all say "maybe this is the result of Self stubbornly forcing possessions through him at times in November."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

McCormack made the pass, out of a spot where a foul or turnover were likely, to Wilson that proved to be the game winner.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

McCormack had 13 points and 7 rebounds and shot at a better percentage than anyone sans Wilson and Thompson.

He’s not the player we thought he’d be but he’s more of an asset than say, Landen Lucas. He’s not NDPOY and B12 POY Udoka.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:18 pmThe question is Jalen Wilson in this - thought of as our best recruit this season but then lost the year.
Is he better than both Braun and Enaruna? Would be a nice problem to have.
Nice problem to have.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What are we going to do to save the season next year? I’m pretty sure a six-guard offense would be against the rules.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:58 pm McCormack made the pass, out of a spot where a foul or turnover were likely, to Wilson that proved to be the game winner.
eh

not a fan of that view. one could easily say creightin’s AA missing a free throw was the game winner
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

McCormack did great do avoid that foul on the Wilson 3 (even though he probably got away with a foul 2 seconds earlier on the screen). But, there's no way you can watch that game and think he was a net positive overall.

If I'm not mistaken, we were up about 5 when he was put back in for the final time. Creighton obviously was a half inch from tying the game up in those last minutes he was in. That was a theme with McCormack the entire game.

But, it's on Bill to fix. Stop playing through him. We didn't play through Landen for obvious reasons, but Landen gave us something. Need that role for this version of McCormack.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:05 am What are we going to do to save the season next year? I’m pretty sure a six-guard offense would be against the rules.
We don't need to stop playing McCormack, but we need to play with him a lot differently. Otherwise, we can't be surprised when another Bill Self team sputters offensively when it matters most.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:42 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:05 am What are we going to do to save the season next year? I’m pretty sure a six-guard offense would be against the rules.
We don't need to stop playing McCormack, but we need to play with him a lot differently. Otherwise, we can't be surprised when another Bill Self team sputters offensively when it matters most.
You almost have to treat him like Doke-light. And, unless he can grow up some mentally on his own, you really just can't give him the ball at the elbow or the FT line extended. Right now, it's going up.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I hate to rag on DMac; but he took me back to another era. I think it is like CnB said: really can’t count on him to handle the ball on offense as a feature. The stone hands.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

My (noodle-weak) takes:

DMac won’t be the main focus of the offense in the games that matter, except for when he is doing it off the boards, in the flow of the offense, as a garbage man. He needs to chill out and focus on defense and rebounding and letting offensive opportunities come to him. He fades away way too much. (Go up with authority, big man!!!) he can shoot free throws well, so get fouled by going strong to the basket. He also needs to take more good shots from the foul line area, as that was a good shot for him last year and he hasn’t done it at all this year's. His dumbass turnaround fade away kills me.

Jalen- keep doing what you are doing, just try to make a few more of the layups. Also work on FTs.

Ochai- His shot was off, and he looked out of sorts, but I don’t think he played terrible otherwise.

CB- rebounding pretty darn well, needs more three point shots, as he is way too selective.

Marcus- he’s been sick, but seems to he will have all the same defensive capabilities and Offense seems as what I expected.

Tristan- Idk, needs more reps.

Bryce- solid, needs reps. Bright future. Certainly Has the tools to grow this season and help in the tourney.

Mitch- didn’t expect much, so I have been fine with what he has shown. Would have been nice to have seen something added to his game by now though that made him more valuable on the court.

Juan- awesome, but he can disappear at times while remaining steady. Needs a bit more offense to be very very good.

Loved beating Creighton!
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I 100% understand the Dmac frustration. but I still expect him to settle into a productive role for us. Maybe I'm being too optomistic because we need him to be good more than arguably anyone else. He has stone hands and terrible feet at times. but his size and touch for a big guy are legit.

Don't see why he can't anchor us inside with size/rebounding. his defense will improve. he can give us garbage points and give us a few buckets off post ups every game. he was dominant for a brief first half stretch against Creighton. Y'all be patient with the big fella he is adjusting to a new role too. unfortunately for him nobody else on this team can fill that role so everything he does is under the microscope
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Would like to see David focus on being strong - with or without the ball. In most games so far he has been the biggest, strongest guy on the floor but he doesn't play like it. He needs to be a little more of a bully.