Site Admin

Re: Top 3 in your city

Post by pdub »

It is uncanny.
Those are all bottles.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

We too have an Azteca Mexican joint in our area.

Except we call it Ass Wrecka
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Uncandy
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's burger week in Lexington. Some of these are uninspired, some look pretty good.

Drake's Hamburg is probably the one I'm going for.
Bru is usually pretty good but I don't want blueberries on my burger.

https://www.lexingtonburgerweek.com/burgers
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

Why do you (and/or anyone else) like "smashed" burgers? I feel they are the epitome of what a burger should NOT be.

Almost impossible to pick my "top 3" but 3 very good ones are.....
Charlie Beinlich's
Butcher and the Burger
Little Louie's
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i have had "smash burgers" one time in my life. it was about 3 weeks ago. I liked them because they were delicious.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We had a Smash Burger here for a while. I liked 'em. Seems not enough people did cuz they closed up.
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:25 am Why do you (and/or anyone else) like "smashed" burgers? I feel they are the epitome of what a burger should NOT be.

Almost impossible to pick my "top 3" but 3 very good ones are.....
Charlie Beinlich's
Butcher and the Burger
Little Louie's
They're pretty damn amazing at Au Cheval
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the one time i had smash burgers they were homemade. they were delicious.
Deleted User 887

I say it too often, to each their own.
Meanwhile, I feel "smashed burgers" are fraud.
Someone thought hey, wouldn't it be a good idea to pound beef/meat until it's very thin - way too thin, then let's over-season it, then let's over-cook it until the predominant texture is crunchy crumbly narish, then let's smother it in a lot of various unnecessary shit (such as an egg) that takes away the burger flavor.
Sorry, it's just not my thing.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:22 am I say it too often, to each their own.
Someone thought hey, wouldn't it be a good idea to pound beef/meat until it's very thin - way too thin, then let's over-season it, then let's over-cook it until the predominant texture is crunchy crumbly narish, then let's smother it in a lot of various unnecessary shit (such as an egg) that takes away the burger flavor.
Have you had Au Cheval burgers? They are most certainly not overcooked or crumbly. And if you don't want anything on it, order it without anything on it.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I like smashed burgers, I also like thicker patties. depends on my mood. It's nice to have variety.

It's like sometimes you feel like eating authentic mexican food, sometimes you want tex-mex, sometimes you want gringo tacos, sometimes you want chipotle, sometimes you want taco bell, sometimes you want a taco truck.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 887

Mjl wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:25 am
NotGutterGutter wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:22 am I say it too often, to each their own.
Have you had Au Cheval burgers? They are most certainly not overcooked or crumbly. And if you don't want anything on it, order it without anything on it.
Yes, I have had Au Cheval burgers. They aren't necessarily what I refer to as "smashed burgers" but no doubt they are somewhat similar.
I do find it interesting that you didn't say they aren't over-seasoned.
Sometimes I feel like I am eating as much salt as I am meat when I have an Au Cheval burger. I also feel they tend to overcook them. Still no doubt tasty but sorry, I know I'm in the minority when I say I just don't get the hype.
Once again, I say to each their own - in that I am generally simple with a burger but I don't understand why some/many people like to put so much shit on/in their burgers that the meat becomes and afterthought.

Don't get me wrong, I'll eat a "smashed burger" in a pinch but if given a choice, I prefer burgers to be somewhat thick, cooked medium rare, juicy without being overly oily/greasy.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm not down with the whole "fried egg on everything" fad.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Smash burger is when they use a hot iron on top of a thin piece of beef to speed cook it, right?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea i dunno even know what a smash burger is...

Is that like Nu-Way. Those are more like......chipped burgers? I dont even care, their rootbeer in an icy mug is delicious.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Updated Fraser Valley top 3:

1. Granby Garage: new kid on the block, showed up and stole the show. really good, big 1/2 pound hand packed deliciousness, with ingredients that are unique but also not too weird. I recommend the counter burger - cheddar, bacon, jalapeños, and arugula. Surprisingly new school hipster vibe in a sleepy blue collar town otherwise only known for bulldozer rampages

2. Deb’s Drive-In - 50’s diner style burgers. Nothing fancy, but cheap, quick, easy, and consistently tasty. Good grab-and-go option if you’re headed to fish somewhere and don’t wanna spend all afternoon getting a burger. Good crinkle fries too.

(I say “quick” and “easy,” but I should mention - even tho there’s only like 6 things on the menu, if you get stuck in the drive thru behind a Suburban with out of state plates, be ready to wait 45 minutes to order…chocolate or vanilla milkshake is a big decision yall)

3. Fisher’s aka the rebranded Crooked Creek Saloon. They cleaned the place up, for better or worse, and got a cute fresh crop of bartenders. The burgers are better tho - try the one smothered in beer cheese on a pretzel bun.

Honorable mention/didn’t even make the top 3 this time:

- The Ditch. Used to be my fave, best patio in downtown WP, best margs, but haven’t been there in years now. And besides the fact the burgers are covered in roasted hatch chiles, it’s a pretty unmemorable dive bar burger otherwise. (But roasted hatch chiles!) And the service can suck; the wait staff tends to be so stoned they might as well be Olympic athletes.

- Devil’s Thumb Ranch - cool ambience, they raise and serve their own wagyu cattle, but otherwise not a particularly great meal unless you get off to paying $30 for a burger.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

sometimes with food less is more.

I watch a lot of cooking shows, and they're always like, add this...more flavor, add that...more flavor.

Is more flavor always a good thing, I don't think it is. I always think of the frat bros when I was in college who'd show up to everything wearing a quart each of 5-6 different colognes. More more more is not always a good thing.

Kinda where I'm at with fried eggs on everything or peanut butter on a burger.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Smashburgers start out as a meatball placed on the grill. They are then smashed thin using a heavy spatula. They are thin, with crispy edges. It's dang near impossible to cook them anything other than well-done.

Some like 'em, some don't. I think they're ok.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Most good beef only needs a little salt (this isnt a flavor, it enhances the beef flavor) and pepper. No more.
Just Ledoux it