pdub
Site Admin

Re: Och senior year

Post by pdub »

Thank you for your service.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Och is probably gonna play in the NBA for 10 or so years. He is a perfect fit. Prototypical NBA 2 guard. Athletic can shoot and defend. And he was smart enough to stick around in college long enough to become NBA ready.

Strongly disagree with the guy who think och won't ever get there
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Och named to Naismith mid-season watch list
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:09 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:55 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:41 pm

Points per 100 possessions adjusted to opponent. So you can still have a low tempo but a good offense.
Maybe that's why DH plays over Remy?
It's probably because Head Coach Bill Self decides to play him more. HCBS makes all decisions on playing time.
You're going full mich, never go full mich.
Defense. Rebounds.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Never go full pettigrew
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

He'll be Big XII player of the year, but I think Ochai's chances of winning National Player Of The Year are quickly fading.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Since the 37 point game he’s averaging just 13ppg on 7-23 3pt shooting.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

You take your best athlete and tell him 'face guard 30 and don't ever leave him'. Make him work for everything. He is finding out just hard it is to be every teams #1 focus especially when he is primarily off the ball. Scoring was easier for Dtae, Frank and Sherron because they had the ball in their hands, they could take you off the bounce or they could kill you with the mid range game.

The Texas and this OU game I noticed just how hard he has to work to score. He isn't what I would call a natural bucket getter. He can't clear out a side, take one or two dribbles, create separation and then pull up for a jumper. He is a pure catch and shoot jump shooter. Now some of this also has to do with the primary line ups that Self utilizes. When he is in the game with Dave and Juan those are two guys that clog up the court and eliminate natural driving lanes.
Holidaysmore - 2005
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I also just happened to read Self's post game comments about that he is 'worried' about Och, wants to get his minutes down but they need some 'bench guys to step up'.

That is going to be awfully hard to do on the 12th of Feb. Maybe you should have been doing that in the non-con. Instead we saw Yes get multiple DNPs and Lightfoot starting over a healthy KJ and Clemence. Just blows my mind how he refuses to develop younger guys and let them play through mistakes but then bemoans his lack of talent on a roster. Yes, is coming off his best game of the year against Texas. Makes one bad play and didn't play the rest of the game.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

When Chai splashes 23 and 27 next week yaall gonna be tasting that crow pie.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:44 pm He'll be Big XII player of the year, but I think Ochai's chances of winning National Player Of The Year are quickly fading.
No worries.
Let's win the Big 12.
ArgentineHawk

Post by ArgentineHawk »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:48 pm I also just happened to read Self's post game comments about that he is 'worried' about Och, wants to get his minutes down but they need some 'bench guys to step up'.

That is going to be awfully hard to do on the 12th of Feb. Maybe you should have been doing that in the non-con. Instead we saw Yes get multiple DNPs and Lightfoot starting over a healthy KJ and Clemence. Just blows my mind how he refuses to develop younger guys and let them play through mistakes but then bemoans his lack of talent on a roster. Yes, is coming off his best game of the year against Texas. Makes one bad play and didn't play the rest of the game.
Mind boggling, right? I’ve pretty much been saying this for a while. Sometimes I think that Self wants to coach like it’s 2007/8. He had loaded teams and guys really didn’t mind “waiting their turns” (Sherron, Cole).

It’s not like that anymore, guys want to play, now. That also has to hurt our recruiting. Can you imagine another coach saying “don’t go/transfer there, he’ll just bench you for a 21st year senior”. This is the part of his coaching that hasn’t really evolved yet.

I think he’s won enough that most on here would be ok taking a few lumps early in the season as long as our younger and better talent is developing.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

KJ and Clemence have both clearly developed this season.

Yesufu and JCL don't appear to have made much improvement.

Watch JCL when he's out there. Yesterday he was lost. Just floating around the perimeter.

Watch how DH CB Och and JW interact within our offense. They read each other, give each other little gestures to indicate/communicate what they want/where they're going, and understand how/where their opportunities to score/create are going to come.

Yesufu is getting much better lately. JCL may not be. Multiple times he was in wrong spots yesterday in his short amount of minutes.

Everyone is making excuses for Yesufu because of off season expectations. At what point do some of you start holding him accountable? Instead of blaming his issues on Self for not allowing hypothetical magical improvement during games? If you fuck things up in practice, and then do the same things in games, how can you predict another handful of game minutes would be the only way to improve?

It just doesn't make sense.

How come Clemence and KJ seem to be capable of improving throughout the season in limited game minutes? It's tougher to play PG than most other positions in basketball. That's not unique to Bill Self teams.

There is a reason JCL has played in college for a decade at 8 different schools. There is a reason Yesufu started his career at Drake instead of Duke.

Yesufu is showing improvement, but i think expectations were unrealistic. He was brought here to be part of the future. Expecting an immediate impact from a Drake transfer was probably a bit optimistic due to how badly some of you hate DH.
ArgentineHawk

Post by ArgentineHawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:37 am

Watch how DH CB Och and JW interact within our offense. They read each other, give each other little gestures to indicate/communicate what they want/where they're going, and understand how/where their opportunities to score/create are going to come.

If you fuck things up in practice, and then do the same things in games, how can you predict another handful of game minutes would be the only way to improve?

How come Clemence and KJ seem to be capable of improving throughout the season in limited game minutes? It's tougher to play PG than most other positions in basketball. That's not unique to Bill Self teams.
DH, CB,JW and Ouch have all been in the program for at least 3 years and CB and DH have played with each other since middle school, that’s why they have great chemistry. When did Yes and the new players arrive on campus?

The players mentioned above plus Dave probably/obviously practice on the first team. Are guys like Yes and Bobby on the scout team? If they are that means that they have to scout the other teams players/plays while also trying to learn plays from our team. And like you said, playing PG is a lot harder. That can’t be easy, right?

Guys like Clemence and KJ are being asked to rebound, play defense and bring energy, not to be a focal part of the team, like let’s say, a pg would be.
Deleted User 863

Yesufu will look a lot better next year....but he's not an NBA caliber player either. What DH does well compliments our best players this year more than what Yesufu does well, and it's probably not much more complicated than that. Self isn't really looking for individual offense from our PG this year. Och CB and JW all averaging more than enough points (especially the last month for JW) to carry the team offensively. As evidenced by our highly rated offensive efficiency.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Ochai is playing in the toughest defensive league in the country. And teams have been doing everything they can to keep the wall away from him. Like running their best athlete to chase him around and face guard him all game.

Gonna be tough for ochai to put up numbers and us to keep winning games. Teams are forcing our other players to beat them.

Id bet against ochai winning national player of the year
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a tough award to get.
I still think he could find himself a 1st team AA which means his jersey hangs.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:39 am Yesufu will look a lot better next year....but he's not an NBA caliber player either. What DH does well compliments our best players this year more than what Yesufu does well, and it's probably not much more complicated than that. Self isn't really looking for individual offense from our PG this year. Och CB and JW all averaging more than enough points (especially the last month for JW) to carry the team offensively. As evidenced by our highly rated offensive efficiency.
I think Yesefu really breaks out next season. He might start next to dajuan... depending on a ton of shit. His biggest struggle this year was adapting to a different role/different system/different coach. and that forced him to step away from how he had played so far in his career. He is getting over that hump... and rebuilding his confidence.
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:47 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:39 am Yesufu will look a lot better next year....but he's not an NBA caliber player either. What DH does well compliments our best players this year more than what Yesufu does well, and it's probably not much more complicated than that. Self isn't really looking for individual offense from our PG this year. Och CB and JW all averaging more than enough points (especially the last month for JW) to carry the team offensively. As evidenced by our highly rated offensive efficiency.
I think Yesefu really breaks out next season. He might start next to dajuan... depending on a ton of shit. His biggest struggle this year was adapting to a different role/different system/different coach. and that forced him to step away from how he had played so far in his career. He is getting over that hump... and rebuilding his confidence.
I think he's better off the ball tbh. Next year he will play probably 75% at the 2 and 25% at the 1 if I had to guess.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yes I agree. Hes perfectly capable of being the ball handler. But hes more of a scoring combo guard than a "lets set up the offense" type of true point guard