Black Friday Game Thread: KU vs Dayton

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Black Friday Game Thread: KU vs Dayton

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:44 pm
Sparko wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:43 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:41 pm Jacking threes time in time out with plenty time on the clock. Over and over.
Not hitting either. I do think the starters were tired.
If they hit a few in the 2nd half, it's a 10+ point game. The young Dayton team seemed to just wear KU down.
Its lazy basketball.
Move the ball.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:39 pm
Sparko wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:38 pm This should have been a 15-point win. Self didn't really sub enough. The free throws were a sign that legs were tired. Too many minutes for the starters. Way too many. Dayton just hung around.
I don't think not subbing enough was the issue at all. The issue is that we had two offensive zeroes out there far too much.
The first half he subbed non stop every time anyone made a mistake...then suddenly stops subbing at all.

Self does weird things and has a tendency to find way to make his teams play very tight.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Yesifu looked better than Harris today.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I jinxed the team by talking about the records going to the UK game. Sorry everyone!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Drive the ball with Ochai and Braun.
Good things happen when you do that.
Not deep guarded threes from Remy and Wilson.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

twocoach wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:46 pm I jinxed the team by talking about the records going to the UK game. Sorry everyone!

Jinxer
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:45 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:39 pm
Sparko wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:38 pm This should have been a 15-point win. Self didn't really sub enough. The free throws were a sign that legs were tired. Too many minutes for the starters. Way too many. Dayton just hung around.
I don't think not subbing enough was the issue at all. The issue is that we had two offensive zeroes out there far too much.
The first half he subbed non stop every time anyone made a mistake...then suddenly stops subbing at all.

Self does weird things and has a tendency to find way to make his teams play very tight.
I don't Self had anything to do with that. KU players stopped playing defense and then handled the additional effort by Dayton terribly and choked.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

AlOerter wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:45 pm Yesifu looked better than Harris today.
Obviously there's a ton of season left, but it's sure looking like Harris is this year's "low-scoring guard who gets clock because he does the little things right (except he doesn't do the little things right)" guy.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Ugh, I am out of hear for a while. Barf.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Too many dunks and layups. We're terrible at protecting the paint so far this year.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Better today than in the second round of the ncaa tournament.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Newell just pointed this out. Dayton needed a bucket down 3 with a minute to go. Isolated Remy and went right at him. Going to have to figure that out.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ArgentineHawk

Post by ArgentineHawk »

Crtrrt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:34 pm Selfs usual stubbornness lossed this
This is spot on. And his stubbornness also stunts the growth of other players. This is Mitches 6th year in the program, and his 5th year playing. And I know the guy plays really hard, but every second he’s in there is a seconds he’s taking away from a guy like KJ or Clemence.

This is the part of his coaching that’s not quite evolved….his inability to trust his young stars and stick with the guys he “trusts”. If you’re going to take a loss, at least take it developing the guys that can really help you in the long run.

This loss shouldn’t really surprise anyone, really.
Last edited by ArgentineHawk on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:48 pm Better today than in the second round of the ncaa tournament.

Absolutely. Players and coaches will learn from this.
ArgentineHawk

Post by ArgentineHawk »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:47 pm
AlOerter wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:45 pm Yesifu looked better than Harris today.
Obviously there's a ton of season left, but it's sure looking like Harris is this year's "low-scoring guard who gets clock because he does the little things right (except he doesn't do the little things right)" guy.
That’s Selfs fault. If he’s going to take his lumps now, let’s take them with guys like Yes and Bobby. Harris, Lightfoot, those guys are good energy guys/we’re blowing the other team out by 30 with a minute left guys.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Bill really does deserve a ton of flack for that call.

You go to Remy and Och in the previous two offensive possessions and score on both of them. You can work on Dave's confidence the next game.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:53 pm Bill really does deserve a ton of flack for that call.

You go to Remy and Och in the previous two offensive possessions and score on both of them. You can work on Dave's confidence the next game.
I'm in the "that wasn't the call" camp.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:55 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:53 pm Bill really does deserve a ton of flack for that call.

Remy and Och clearing out to the weakside makes me wonder.

I don't think CB makes that pass without having something in his ear. They had stopped feeding Dave.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:56 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:55 pm

Remy and Och clearing out to the weakside makes me wonder.

I don't think CB makes that pass without having something in his ear. They had stopped feeding Dave.
It was absolutely a clearout and a designed play. They looked to him early, then swung it to CB and he got it to Dave.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ugh, and Dave didn’t even have position or anytbing. Just kinda came out to mid range no-man’s land.

If it wasn’t a Self designed play, it was Dave just getting it cuz everybody else was yet again just standing around, and I dunno which is worse.