NFL Offseason 2022

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: NFL Offseason 2022

Post by pdub »

“… this isn’t about whether the Chiefs wanted to keep Hill. They did. They just weren’t going to guarantee him $72 million over the next four seasons to do it — Hill received that from the Dolphins as part of the trade agreement — because guaranteeing that kind of money to a 28-year-old receiver whose best attribute is speed is how franchises become handcuffed in the future.”

“ The Chiefs did not trade Hill for five draft picks Wednesday. They traded one year of Hill for five draft picks and a whole lot of cap space.”
shindig

Post by shindig »

I like the Hill trade, no wide receiver is worth $30m/year on a 4 year contract. Chiefs will be fine. As long as Mahomes is behind center, he can make plays with just about anyone you throw out there.

Plus defenses had figured out how to play Hill, he wasn't getting open nearly as much in the last few years. The Chiefs will just revamp.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

The Chiefs reportedly made an offer to Hill that would make him among the highest-paid receivers in the league, though it appears the offer did not satisfy Hill's camp. So they made the trade.

Every DC in the NFL is loving the Adams and Hill trades. LOL
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

shindig wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:58 am I like the Hill trade, no wide receiver is worth $30m/year on a 4 year contract. Chiefs will be fine. As long as Mahomes is behind center, he can make plays with just about anyone you throw out there.

Plus defenses had figured out how to play Hill, he wasn't getting open nearly as much in the last few years. The Chiefs will just revamp.
I really don't know. Defenses figured out how to play Chiefs with Hill. The Chiefs did not adapt.
Look at second half of Bengals game. Bengals dropped eight and rushed three. The Chiefs just keep on dropping back and throwing into coverage. That is on the coaches. What we need is a Christian Okoye type running back. Got to keep defenses honest.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They're hosting former Tampa RB Ronald Jones soon. He would be a fantastic addition at RB. He's a stud.

I do think the Chiefs are going to run the ball a lot more in the future. They have the OL for it. And then Mahomes will beat you if you load up to stop the run.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I like the idea of adding another RB like Ronald Jones and running the ball more like the Bengals dared KC to in that second half. There's plenty of money left to sign a Jarvis Landry or Marquez Valdez-Scantling too. The Chiefs have also been rumored to have called the Seahawks and checked on what kind of package it would take to get Tyler Lockett. They'll find WR help. Use those draft picks to load up on pass rushers and defensive backs. Then mix in a skill player here or there if you're going to use 7 or 8 of those 11 picks. Just guessing because with that many picks, I'd assume Veach makes another trade over going to the podium 11 times.
Last edited by UnholyLivingDead on Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:31 am They're hosting former Tampa RB Ronald Jones soon. He would be a fantastic addition at RB. He's a stud.

I do think the Chiefs are going to run the ball a lot more in the future. They have the OL for it. And then Mahomes will beat you if you load up to stop the run.
We can cross our fingers that happens.
Though, without Tyreek to worry about, you don't as much of the field stretch/multiple defenders back off the line.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Looks like I had my numbers wrong! Chiefs had 9 picks in the 2022 draft and collected 3 more yesterday for a total of 12. That's insane. Two picks each in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:50 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:31 am They're hosting former Tampa RB Ronald Jones soon. He would be a fantastic addition at RB. He's a stud.

We can cross our fingers that happens.
Though, without Tyreek to worry about, you don't as much of the field stretch/multiple defenders back off the line.
I go back to the 5 games Hill has completely missed, Chiefs are 4-1. Mahomes has 8 TDs to 1 INT and something like 350 yards per game. They'll get another 2 or so WRs in that room between draft and FA and they'll be a dynamite offense and will use some of the picks they acquired for defense.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

If the Chiefs draft well, they just traded Hill for 4 rookie contract starters and $20 M in cap space

That’s the smart thing to do
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:17 am If the Chiefs draft well, they just traded Hill for 4 rookie contract starters and $20 M in cap space

And deep down, I think the majority of smart Chiefs fans, so all like 500 of us, think this is the smart move. Free up space, you have a lot of misc holes (depth and some starters) to fill, this will help that.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hill makes KC a noticeably better team in 2022 if the Chiefs could keep him. The Chiefs can't keep him with that price and those offers on the table. This move makes the Chiefs worse in the short term, but they still can be and are contenders.

One of those a lot of things are true scenarios.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

Ronald Jones is fine, but there's no reason to spend any real money on a RB. If you can get him for 1-2 years for $2.5m AAV, cool. Otherwise, just use that money for WR and Edge. Priority for the offense, between free agency and the draft, should be getting two more starting-caliber WRs and another solid tackle.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:39 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:17 am If the Chiefs draft well, they just traded Hill for 4 rookie contract starters and $20 M in cap space

And deep down, I think the majority of smart Chiefs fans, so all like 500 of us, think this is the smart move. Free up space, you have a lot of misc holes (depth and some starters) to fill, this will help that.
Yeah, and if you follow football, you knew this was coming. I was hopeful that KC would keep Hill for the 2022 season but knew he would be gone by 2023.

This is an issue that fanboi's and jersey chaser's struggle with. You have to build a 53-man roster under the salary cap in order to win championships. You can't just have 7-8 super stars and bunch of marginal players. This isn't Madden. You can't just change the settings and force trades to get better.

Hill's great, loved watching him play and of course it sucks he's moving on. But KC has bigger issues and already has a bunch of money tied up with Mahomes, Jones, Brown, Thuney, Clark*, Kelce, Reid.

*despite one of ours having personal issues with him, he's fine. Maybe slightly overpaid, but not a roster altering issue.

Lastly, let's be honest here. WR and RB are the easiest positions to fill in the NFL.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:55 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:39 am

Yeah, and if you follow football, you knew this was coming. I was hopeful that KC would keep Hill for the 2022 season but knew he would be gone by 2023.

This is an issue that fanboi's and jersey chaser's struggle with. You have to build a 53-man roster under the salary cap in order to win championships. You can't just have 7-8 super stars and bunch of marginal players. This isn't Madden. You can't just change the settings and force trades to get better.

Hill's great, loved watching him play and of course it sucks he's moving on. But KC has bigger issues and already has a bunch of money tied up with Mahomes, Jones, Brown, Thuney, Clark*, Kelce, Reid.

*despite one of ours having personal issues with him, he's fine. Maybe slightly overpaid, but not a roster altering issue.

Lastly, let's be honest here. WR and RB are the easiest positions to fill in the NFL.
And it's not particularly close either. Especially when you have Patrick Mahomes. He helped Byron Pringle get a multi-million dollar deal with the Bears.

Their current WR room of Juju, Josh Gordon, Mecole, Fountain and Cornell Powell aren't going to cut it. But if you add a WR in the first couple of rounds and pick up a second-tier WR in FA, then you'll be fine.

One thing is for certain, the Chiefs are going to run the ball a lot more in the next few years. Now, they won't turn into the Patriots when Brady was winding down and run it down your throats and then hope Tom can throw a good pass here and there, but it's going to be a nice balance.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

WR's are plentiful, but you can only replace the impact of a top-end WR with another top-end WR. It's possible, but not likely, that one of those are in the draft.

There's no point in paying RB's, though, even the top flight guys.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:09 am WR's are plentiful, but you can only replace the impact of a top-end WR with another top-end WR. It's possible, but not likely, that one of those are in the draft.

100% agree on the RB point.

But we disagree on other. It's all about how you build the roster and the specific units. Again, this isn't Madden, so you can't structure contracts and force trades to end up with Adams, Chase, Hill, Cupp, Samuel and Jefferson as your WR unit, which is what the fanboi's want. (not accusing you of being a fanboi)

Again, loved Hill, sucks he's gone but you can rebuild the WR unit to be just as good as last years. Will KC actually accomplish that? We'll see, but it's definitely doable.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:18 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:09 am WR's are plentiful, but you can only replace the impact of a top-end WR with another top-end WR. It's possible, but not likely, that one of those are in the draft.

But we disagree on other. It's all about how you build the roster and the specific units. Again, this isn't Madden, so you can't structure contracts and force trades to end up with Adams, Chase, Hill, Cupp, Samuel and Jefferson as your WR unit, which is what the fanboi's want. (not accusing you of being a fanboi)

Again, loved Hill, sucks he's gone but you can rebuild the WR unit to be just as good as last years. Will KC actually accomplish that? We'll see, but it's definitely doable.
I don't think you can replace the talent of Adams, Chase, HIll, Kupp, Samuel, Jefferson on the field, so I was deliberate with the term "impact on the field." You can go out and (possibly) replace the overall production, but big game when you need that big play/burner, etc., only the top end guys can give you that, and they change the entire gameplan for both units on the field. That's why I do think losing Hill makes the Chiefs offense less dangerous in the short term.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Maybe slightly overpaid"

Lol.
Understatement right here.*
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 3#slide_17

*Frank Clark is 7th in defensive ends in the NFL against the cap this season.
I'm not even sure Frank Clark is a top 20 defensive end in the NFL.

Next season he is 1st in defensive ends against the cap with a whopping 30 million dollars. 1st.

Do we think Frank Clark is the best defensive end in football?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:30 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:18 am

I don't think you can replace the talent of Adams, Chase, Hill, Kupp, Samuel, Jefferson on the field, so I was deliberate with the term "impact on the field." You can go out and (possibly) replace the overall production, but big game when you need that big play/burner, etc., only the top end guys can give you that, and they change the entire gameplan for both units on the field. That's why I do think losing Hill makes the Chiefs offense less dangerous in the short term.
Eh, fair enough. Still disagree. You make teams change gameplans in a variety of ways. Have an Elite WR is just one of them