F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:27 am
pdub wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:31 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:25 am Are these kids not attending class or being involved in the University? Those things haven't changed at all.
Wait for it.
One of the weirdest hangups people have over the "going to class" thing is the bizarre expectation that athletes' KU experiences are supposed to be exactly like theirs. And it's especially icky when olds (like most of us) do it.

It is time - it is beyond time - for athletes' educational experience and plans to be much MORE like those of other students. Meaning, other than some core classes, athletes should be spending the bulk of their learning time doing things that are specific to their anticipated career path.

Guys like Sasha, god bless 'em and mazel tov. But by and large, we absolutely should not expect, or even want, athletes to have to pursue majors that are fig leaves.

If you want the education to be real - if you want it to make a difference in the athletes' lives and prepare them for a career in athletics (should that be their goal) - then you should encourage and welcome athletes having college experiences that look fundamentally different from the experience of a student who truly chooses a Communications or African American Studies major.
Wait I thought your big arguing point was "same opportunities" as other students....guess that doesnt extend to smae responsibilities or some academics.

Why don't you just focus on watching the NBA instead of cheering on the NBA lite with a Jayhawk tshirt?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Racist.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

This go here or somewhere else? I think it fits with this conversation even though it is talking about football players.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... g-benefits
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So a players union.
How is college going to be different than pro now?
Just younger players?
But with a cool logo from a college?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Right, but the problem is......Who's money, how much money, and why?
Networks? NCAA? Union? University? Players? Fans?

Seems most of us agree the NCAA sucks but I feel college athletics need/s some form of a governing body and I don't think there is a simple solution on how to replace the NCAA.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Are we close to a decision by the IARP/NCAA?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -drags-on/
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Self-imposed according to KC Star.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Yeah, I realize it's self-imposed, just thought being a preemptive measure, it might be a sign that a ruling was on the horizon.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:51 am Yeah, I realize it's self-imposed, just thought being a preemptive measure, it might be a sign that a ruling was on the horizon.
The most potent weapon KU/Self has had in this fight is a very credible posture that they would go to the bitter end here. There's no way you'd pop a hole in that balloon for free.

My guess is that things are working toward a negotiated resolution and, at a minimum, the harshest penalties have been taken off the table.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:51 am Yeah, I realize it's self-imposed, just thought being a preemptive measure, it might be a sign that a ruling was on the horizon.
It's been "on the horizon" for months now. The NCAA announced in late April 2021 that decisions in all 6 IARP cases were expected in "the next 12 months".

https://www2.kusports.com/news/2021/apr ... fractions/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The one guardrail on my optimism, though, is the possibility of new, yet-to-be-revealed allegations. If there is something new out there that is now causing us to change course like this...that would be very very bad news.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:03 am The one guardrail on my optimism, though, is the possibility of new, yet-to-be-revealed allegations. If there is something new out there that is now causing us to change course like this...that would be very very bad news.
I don't think KU would be pulling coaches off of the recruiting trail as a response to new allegations. It just feels like they are starting to dole out some self-imposed punishments that they feel they can deal with. Self and Townsend off the recruiting trail for a bit is not much of a big deal being that coaches can still contact recruits in a variety of ways. I don't think this is very complicated at all.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And if there's a time to where you can afford to sit for a period, it's right after a National Championship. If you just say Kansas is interested, it'll perk lots of kids ears up even more than it did before.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:28 am And if there's a time to where you can afford to sit for a period, it's right after a National Championship. If you just say Kansas is interested, it'll perk lots of kids ears up even more than it did before.
100% agree on the timing.

Self was very aware of the national title drought like the rest of us. You could hear it in so many of his comments since winning it in April.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:26 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:03 am The one guardrail on my optimism, though, is the possibility of new, yet-to-be-revealed allegations. If there is something new out there that is now causing us to change course like this...that would be very very bad news.
I don't think KU would be pulling coaches off of the recruiting trail as a response to new allegations. It just feels like they are starting to dole out some self-imposed punishments that they feel they can deal with. Self and Townsend off the recruiting trail for a bit is not much of a big deal being that coaches can still contact recruits in a variety of ways. I don't think this is very complicated at all.
The complicated is the “why,” not the “what.”

There is no way we would do this just because. There’s a reason, and the reason matters a lot.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:29 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:26 am
The complicated is the “why,” not the “what.”

There is no way we would do this just because. There’s a reason, and the reason matters a lot.
Sorry. The "why" would be a proactive step as a result of our case just like dozens of other schools have done in the past in hoped of lessening their punishment. I didn't think I needed to add that. We obviously wouldn't do it "just because".
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:34 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:28 am And if there's a time to where you can afford to sit for a period, it's right after a National Championship. If you just say Kansas is interested, it'll perk lots of kids ears up even more than it did before.

Self was very aware of the national title drought like the rest of us. You could hear it in so many of his comments since winning it in April.
Yep. I fully agree that the national title has put KU and Self in a different spot and makes it easier for them to take a "hit" with a self imposed punishment of some sort. That natty recruits itself right now.

And frankly, I don't see the lack of Self and Townsend in person at a few events over one summer as a major hit. Coaches have ample means of staying in contact with kids, most of whom are addicted to their phones and probably prefer dealing with people electronically vs in person.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Likely new tax invasion stuff.

But given this news, let's get this over with. Self sitting out a couple of busy recruiting periods while we bask in the Natty honeymoon is a deal you take, even if you hate the optics.

Always felt the priorities were: keep the 2018 banner, no postseason ban, no show-cause for Self and/or a multi-year suspension.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:38 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:34 am

Yep. I fully agree that the national title has put KU and Self in a different spot and makes it easier for them to take a "hit" with a self imposed punishment of some sort. That natty recruits itself right now.

And frankly, I don't see the lack of Self and Townsend in person at a few events over one summer as a major hit. Coaches have ample means of staying in contact with kids, most of whom are addicted to their phones and probably prefer dealing with people electronically vs in person.
We posted at the same time and basically said the same thing.

Given the NCAA seemingly becoming weaker by the day, I can't imagine that they are going to get anything close to what they want, here, so likely not a bad deal for them either.