Another mass shooting

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:15 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:59 pm
randylahey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:52 pm There are no excuses for it. A bad person did a bad thing. Their "identities" are irrelevant.

Bad people continue to do bad things. Always have always will. There is no reason to spin the "lets make guns less accessible for everyone" narrative
I mean, you’re not wrong. If this shooter had instead tried to audibly assault his victims with pots and pans, then that would have been just as bad. Duh.
God damn you're ignorant. If murder laws dont prevent murder, gun possession laws won't stop gun possession

Someone that doesn't abide the law is not going to give a fuck about your little gun laws (that will never pass)
Take this to its logical end, rube.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Lol. He saw The Purge and thought "Why only 12 hours a year?"
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:52 pm There are no excuses for it. A bad person did a bad thing. Their "identities" are irrelevant.

Bad people continue to do bad things. Always have always will. There is no reason to spin the "lets make guns less accessible for everyone" narrative
Ok but then the Pubs have to stop playing all the other "profile" narratives too. Deal?
How's that working out and what the fuck will that continue to get us?
So far it's gotten me and literally 100s of thousands of other Americans dead friends and family members.
You and many other people are cool with it. I and many others are not.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

God damn you're ignorant. If murder laws dont prevent murder, gun possession laws won't stop gun possession

Someone that doesn't abide the law is not going to give a fuck about your little gun laws (that will never pass)

Ain't no seats
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:24 pm Lol. He saw The Purge and thought "Why only 12 hours a year?"
It's insane. Literally.

And this is why (merging threads here) pure libertarianism isn't viable. I feel a lot of affinity for some - maybe even lots of - libertarian principles. But, taken to their absolute ends, those principles do not and cannot work as a basic, structural frame for a functional, specialized, modern society.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I mean, you’re not wrong. If this shooter had instead tried to audibly assault his victims with pots and pans, then that would have been just as bad. Duh.

This has been proven out many times over to be an incorrect assumption.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:31 pm

This has been proven out many times over to be an incorrect assumption.
Clearly, the status quo isn't working (and, clearly, the US is an outlier in some things, but not in incidence of mental health issues).

No reasonable person would think that the answer is maintaining the status quo (let alone loosening gun laws).
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Speaking of being God damn ignorant....

Seems by some accounts Connor (the Louisville shooter) wasn't such a bad person.
Until he had a gun and killed people.
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:49 pm
randylahey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:35 pm Can't beleive that "gun free zone" sticker didn't stop this one either
Do we know enough yet about the shooter (of the gun(s)), the people shot (by the shooter of the gun(s), with the gun(s)), or the shooting (of the people shot (by the shooter of the gun(s), with the gun(s)) to identify which particular “it was the shooter, not the gun(s)” excuse applies here?
It appears that the shooter was a 23-year old employee of the bank he shot up. So, if you're looking at your "it was the shooter, not the gun(s)" excuse BINGO card, you might soon be able to darken your Spoiled Gen Z'er square, or even your Vax Made the Guy Do It square.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

One square that is not in play is the But It Wasn't An AR This Time square.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“If the problem you’re trying to solve is kids defecating in the pool, the solution isn’t adding more kids.”
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Feral wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:20 pm “If the problem you’re trying to solve is kids defecating in the pool, the solution isn’t adding more kids.”
If a kid knew that someone else would shit on them if they shit in the pool, they probably wouldn't shit in the pool

There i fixed your awful analogy
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:26 pm
Feral wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:20 pm “If the problem you’re trying to solve is kids defecating in the pool, the solution isn’t adding more kids.”
If a kid knew that someone else would shit on them if they shit in the pool, they probably wouldn't shit in the pool

It blows my mind that someone at least intelligent enough to, you know, figure out typing and stuff could look at what's happening and conclude that, if anything, gun laws should be loosened.

Because:

It's right the fuck there.

Gun. Laws. Work.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Guns ain't going anywhere
Stop whining
Its sad when bad things happen
I know you mean well but

If a gun free zone is a target for mass shootings, what logic is there in making the whole country a gun free zone
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Stop projecting.

And, Ted Nugent?

wtf? Have some self-respect.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:26 pm

Let's play the analogy game all day and night long. How's this one?

The kid at the pool sees another kid eating a corn dog and fries. The kid eating the corn dog and fries has explosive diarrhea and shits all over the chair he's sitting on. The kid in the pool sees the kid who has explosive diarrhea start to climb in to the pool. The kid in the pool should just sit back and say oh well, it's inevitable the kid is going to have explosive diarrhea in the pool and there is nothing I can do about it so I might as well sit in the pool and get shit on.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:52 pm Guns ain't going anywhere
Stop whining
I know you mean well but

If a gun free zone is a target for mass shootings, what logic is there in making the whole country a gun free zone
I agree with you that "guns ain't going anywhere". Now answer this, why are so many people stupid and scared in thinking that they are?

I am not going to speak for Fish but who the heck are you to tell me or anyone else who has lost a loved one to gun violence to "stop whining"?

Yes, it's sad when bad things happen. Like when a kid eating an ice cone drops their ice cream cone. Good thing is they can and will hopefully get another ice cream cone.
It's really fucking sad when a kid eating an ice cream cone gets their head blown off by someone with a gun because pretty much anyone in this country can obtain and use one pretty fricking easily.

As far as "gun free zones" - You and I are ALMOST on the same page.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:52 pm Guns ain't going anywhere
Stop whining
I know you mean well but

As usual, you're retreating into all the stupid bad-faith crutches (because your position is indefensible on its merits).

No one serious is calling for "making the whole country a gun free zone."

No one.

NO ONE.

So put that straw man argument back in the barn, and engage on the substantive issues like an adult.

Your position is that the present rate at which innocent people (children included) are being shot into hamburger meat by AR-15s is acceptable. Indeed, you seem to think it's desirable: that the body count is some sort of emblem of freedom.

I think that's a pretty gross and indefensible position!

My position is that whatever purposes are served by civilians having access to AR-15s, are NOT worth the body count.

I think this is a pretty human and highly defensible position!

I do not believe that banning civilian access to AR-15s would be infringing on the Second Amendment. I also do not believe that banning civilian access to AR-15s would end gun violence.

How can I think those two things at the same time? And how do I square my personal values (including as a gun owner, for sport and recreation and home protection) with my policy views (including as someone who thinks gun laws should be much stricter)?

Because I am a rational fucking adult who does not breathe culture war horseshit like oxygen.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Feral wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:09 pm
Stop projecting.

And, Ted Nugent?

wtf? Have some self-respect.
The meme is spot on tho