COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jhawks99 »

There wasn't anything stigmatizing the J&J shot. It's the fact that it's one shot and they don't need to track down the recipient for the 2nd shot.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i would take whichever one is available first (except for astrazeneca)

“fortunately”, it’s looking/sounding like it’s gonna be pfizer
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:21 am There wasn't anything stigmatizing the J&J shot. It's the fact that it's one shot and they don't need to track down the recipient for the 2nd shot.
They are doing that for homeless in NY too, but for prisons, I don't think there's much of an issue of tracking down the recipient for the second shot.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

vega wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:45 am
jhawks99 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:21 am There wasn't anything stigmatizing the J&J shot. It's the fact that it's one shot and they don't need to track down the recipient for the 2nd shot.
They are doing that for homeless in NY too, but for prisons, I don't think there's much of an issue of tracking down the recipient for the second shot.
Lots of transfers of prisoners, though.
Deleted User 865

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 am
But we know where they are, right? A Pfizer shot in Illinois I assume is the same as a Pfizer shot in Florida. It's only a two-shot administration, and three weeks is the preferred length of time, but there's a three-week window given for best efficiency. Homeless/Housing Insecure folks absolutely J&J makes the most sense.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

vega wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:58 am

But we know where they are, right? A Pfizer shot in Illinois I assume is the same as a Pfizer shot in Florida. It's only a two-shot administration, and three weeks is the preferred length of time, but there's a three-week window given for best efficiency. Homeless/Housing Insecure folks absolutely J&J makes the most sense.
Theoretically, yes. But, perhaps the facility that the prisoner is being transferred to cannot get access to a vax for the second dose. Something that also happens too often is that a prisoner will be lost on paper/in the system for a week or two during a transfer. Even that short timeframe can be critical.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "you" - I didn't mean to imply that 99 was stigmatizing anything.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Multiple countries halting the use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 865

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:04 am
vega wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:58 am

Theoretically, yes. But, perhaps the facility that the prisoner is being transferred to cannot get access to a vax for the second dose. Something that also happens too often is that a prisoner will be lost on paper/in the system for a week or two during a transfer. Even that short timeframe can be critical.
Prisons are not my expertise, but I assume you are mostly referring to Federal Prisons. Wouldn't they all have their own supply? (I assume they get a different allotment than the state supply). And if we are talking about states, wouldn't they all have their own supply? I know for NY at least, to get a first dose, there has to be a second dose earmarked for recipient. I assume that would be true about the prison system. I mean, they all have their own health care regiment now. I don't think there would be a large burden on the system for such an easy vaccine schedule (two shots, three to four weeks apart). Also, since prisoners inherently are in such a risky environment for COVID spread, I would assume we would want the best efficiency of vaccine to go to them (95% instead of the 60-70% J&J is)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I didn’t know prisons are administratively loosing their inmates so frequently, but go figure.

Also didn’t know inmates are being moved around so frequently either but of course they are.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I think the NPR article re KY referred to county lockups rather than Fed.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:33 am I didn’t know prisons are administratively loosing their inmates so frequently, but go figure.

Also didn’t know inmates are being moved around so frequently either but of course they are.
People arent in prison forever
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. Prison sentences also tend to be for longer than 3 weeks though, too.

On the spectrum of who should be easier vs. more difficult to administer vaccinations, you’d think that a population literally locked in a cell not allowed to go anywhere would be among the easier populations to administer, but apparently not.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

And the timing of them ia such that none fall between the 1st and 2nd shots? Convenient
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Like I said, I didn’t realize so many inmates are moved so frequently, and unaccounted for in the system when they are
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Anyone know why Andy Dufresne isn’t in his cell this morning, you guys?

Oh well nbd, these things happen all the time. Must have been scheduled for his second dose or something.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Im talking about release dates.

Also, the most dangerous times for guards is during prisoner movement. Everytime you move them to the infirmary for a shot its a risk. The kess opportunity for trouble the better for all involved.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

on my list of populations that I am not all that concerned about, the prison variety is pretty near the top.
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:22 am Multiple countries halting the use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine
don’t tell lobs, but there is some evidence of severe side effects (blood clots, i think)

still no deaths tho
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:04 pm Yeah. Prison sentences also tend to be for longer than 3 weeks though, too.

On the spectrum of who should be easier vs. more difficult to administer vaccinations, you’d think that a population literally locked in a cell not allowed to go anywhere would be among the easier populations to administer, but apparently not.
buncha andy dufrains up in there