F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: F the NCAA

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:38 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:43 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:21 pm

The problem is exactly that it is symbolic; the one threat you had was that you would fight for every inch of ground on this. Voluntarily taking an appeasement/collaboration path cuts directly against credibility on that.
I don't think this changes that at all. If this IARP committee drops the hammer on KU, this will go to court just as it would have if KU hadn't held Self and KT out of Peach Jam.
I think what jfish is trying to say is that there is no longer a hammer to drop if KU and the NCAA broker a deal. From a legal strategy point, it just makes little sense for KU to give an inch if the big hammer is still on the table after fighting every single thing thus far. Big hammer being: show-cause, multiyear Self suspension, Final Four banner removal, postseason bans.

Whatever it ends up being or meaning, this is by far the most significant development in the case since the charges were announced and KU filed its blistering Answer.
We just have no idea if this is part of the NCAA and KU brokering that deal or if it was done unprompted. We're just left to speculate and wait.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:02 am
I don't think this changes that at all. If this IARP committee drops the hammer on KU, this will go to court just as it would have if KU hadn't held Self and KT out of Peach Jam.
I think what jfish is trying to say is that there is no longer a hammer to drop if KU and the NCAA broker a deal. From a legal strategy point, it just makes little sense for KU to give an inch if the big hammer is still on the table after fighting every single thing thus far. Big hammer being: show-cause, multiyear Self suspension, Final Four banner removal, postseason bans.

Whatever it ends up being or meaning, this is by far the most significant development in the case since the charges were announced and KU filed its blistering Answer.
We just have no idea if this is part of the NCAA and KU brokering that deal or if it was done unprompted. We're just left to speculate and wait.
You are correct that we don't know that for sure but the tea leaves tend to suggest a situation that is more likely than the alternatives. In no way am I pulling a I'm-a-litigator-I-know-what-is-happening-here, it just that when most of these type of legal proceedings go this way, it suggests a certain path: give nothing until a deal is struck and/or right there in front of you. From a strategy standpoint, KU seemingly gains nothing by doing this unilaterally.

Again, we don't know for sure, but what we do know is that this is the first extreme departure from KU legal's public comments on the matter/procedure to date. Everything points to it being far more likely that a deal is complete or close than it is that KU is doing this unprompted. This is a very noteworthy development.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If only there were a forum, perhaps styled as a "board" where one could post "messages," where one could speculate about these things while one waits!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

For some real speculation: I wonder if the NCAA is past ready to move on from this given all of the charged conduct is no longer against the rules, they have stated their role in governance should decrease, and their unpopularity, but, this being Emmert's last baby, they are working to get the smallest pound of flesh from Self before sending Emmert packing.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:09 am

You are correct that we don't know that for sure but the tea leaves tend to suggest a situation that is more likely than the alternatives. In no way am I pulling a I'm-a-litigator-I-know-what-is-happening-here, it just that when most of these type of legal proceedings go this way, it suggests a certain path: give nothing until a deal is struck and/or right there in front of you. From a strategy standpoint, KU seemingly gains nothing by doing this unilaterally.

Again, we don't know for sure, but what we do know is that this is the first extreme departure from KU legal's public comments on the matter/procedure to date. Everything points to it being far more likely that a deal is complete or close than it is that KU is doing this unprompted. This is a very noteworthy development.
Oh, I fully agree with you that this action is most likely taken in coordination with the IARP/NCAA. There is nothing gained by this as an unprompted "out of the blue" proactive measure.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:26 am

If only there were a forum, perhaps styled as a "board" where one could post "messages," where one could speculate about these things while one waits!
You're in luck! We do "speculation" great here.

I hope this means that there has been some sort of movement on KU's case and that some sort of formal announcement is coming sooner rather than later. I'd love it if all the KSU/ISU/Mizzou honks could get their spazzing out over what they will inevitably see as a slap on the wrist with during the summer.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:35 am For some real speculation: I wonder if the NCAA is past ready to move on from this given all of the charged conduct is no longer against the rules, they have stated their role in governance should decrease, and their unpopularity, but, this being Emmert's last baby, they are working to get the smallest pound of flesh from Self before sending Emmert packing.
Especially knowing that the majority of members on the IARP are 3rd party professional sports mediators.

Does the ncaa have to "sign off" on any agreement that is reached or is it out of the hands of the NCAA office at this point?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:11 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:35 am For some real speculation: I wonder if the NCAA is past ready to move on from this given all of the charged conduct is no longer against the rules, they have stated their role in governance should decrease, and their unpopularity, but, this being Emmert's last baby, they are working to get the smallest pound of flesh from Self before sending Emmert packing.
Especially knowing that the majority of members on the IARP are 3rd party professional sports mediators.

Does the ncaa have to "sign off" on any agreement that is reached or is it out of the hands of the NCAA office at this point?
No one, KU and the NCAA included, knows dick about shit when it comes to the IARP; one of the principal tenets was supposed to be that there WAS no informal resolution process, and yet we have seen that there is.

Everyone is making stuff up as they go (which is exactly why our long game has been a good strategy).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:11 am

Yeah, the caveat is that the rules are essentially being made up as we go. It has kind of resembled a combination of an admin law and civil law proceeding. If we can assume based on the docket, you would think that it would be the NCAA and KU coming to an agreement on resolution and sanctions with the IARP having the sign off power (and as jfish said, even though this type of informal resolution wasn't supposed to be possible).

Who knows if that is 100% accurate, and of course, I have my suspicions that one of the problems here with that system and partly why it is taking so long is that the NCAA is not truly independent of the IARP. Which would mean they have a lot more control over, at least, the timing.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Someone must have traduced KU, for without having done anything wrong it was arrested one fine morning.

From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:25 pm Someone must have traduced KU, for without having done anything wrong it was arrested one fine morning.

From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached.
And what I'm saying is KU's actions say they've felt that point was reached a long time ago. Which is what makes the course correction quite notable!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Josef K was taken away and stabbed after the sham trial. I am hoping at least KU gets something akin to real justice outside of backrooms and tenement buildings.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... rs-respond

"Nearly 80% of respondents believe schools will pay athletes directly within the next decade. Nearly 75% think the sport will eventually follow some sort of professional model, perhaps with schools forming conferences based on their willingness to pay players."

"Nearly 80% of respondents said NIL represents a black-market pay-for-play system that is being used to secure recruits and transfers. Meanwhile, nearly 60% of respondents said the transfer portal has created what amounts to free agency in college football, and they believe that will ultimately hurt the sport with fans."
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it is not college sports anymore. I know this.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:48 am it is not college sports anymore. I know this.
It's still college sports. It just doesn't utilize the antiquated "amateur" model it used to.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“NIL represents a black-market pay-for-play system” is one of the better gaslights I’ve heard in a long while
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Maybe this is harsh, and I know they aren't solely responsible, but the coaching staffs are as responsible for this situation as anyone. They have allowed, for a long time, shoe companies and boosters to help with recruiting by offering improper benefits. Allowing that culture to develop over decades is what forced us into this mess.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i can say "i remember when they had college sports."
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:03 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:48 am it is not college sports anymore. I know this.
It's still college sports. It just doesn't utilize the antiquated "amateur" model it used to.
Some people are just never going to get it. The old model was unethical, immoral and borderline illegal.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's still Subway sandwiches. It just doesn't utilize the antiquated "actual bread" model it used to.