F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Deleted User 75 »

In all those potential solutions the school pays nothing. Which is what most people want. I don't want the school paying the players. But I also don't think the rules should forbid players from being paid by unrelated entities.
Deleted User 75

...but I will say, shifting the money to the NBA won't make brands stop wanting those players to go to schools under that brand. That's going to continue regardless of NCAA rules. Nike Adidas etc are still going to get money to these kids to build goodwill with them so that when those kids blow up they've got the inside track to signing them (officially) to their brand.

Based on how much shoe contracts are for the top guys, these brands clearly see value in having the best players wear their stuff. So throwing $50k @ HS aged kids is pennies to them.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

The NBA day doesn’t want to pay 16 and 18 year olds. The shoe companies do.
Deleted User 75

Great minds think alike.

;-)
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I should have added that under my scenario kids could also get endorsement deals and play college ball.

Another spin to my scenario could be a situation where if Wiseman is owed $2M by the Suns but wanted to play college ball, the college could be on the hook for half of that money. So Memphis pays him $1M and the Suns pay him $1M.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And you can see why the schools are digging in on the rules and selling the feel-good bullshit of amateurism. They want all the shoe money to themselves. Letting the players have individual contracts with the apparel companies would kill the schools’ deals. “You’ve had enough!”
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

But if the Shoe companies can pay the top player above the table as they skip college and go directly to the NBA will they still want to pay the ranked #20 and above players below the table? Letting the top kids go pro will eliminate 80%, or more, of the cheating.

I am sure there were players named in the Adidas trial that were ranked outside the top 20 but not many.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 75

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:25 pm But if the Shoe companies can pay the top player above the table as they skip college and go directly to the NBA will they still want to pay the ranked #20 and above players below the table? Letting the top kids go pro will eliminate 80%, or more, of the cheating.

I am sure there were players named in the Adidas trial that were ranked outside the top 20 but not many.
8 HS players drafted last year it was allowed. It'll only make a small dent. The NBA rule isn't going to fix or change the motivation of the brands. Plenty of multi year college players go on to the pros and sign shoe deals....it's not just the top 30 or 40 players in the NBA with big shoe contracts. Regular starters and some bench players, not just the super stars, are on shoe deals too. Shoe companies paying players didn't start in the last 10 years or whatever since the OAD rule was implemented.
Deleted User 75

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

surprised these tidbits haven't been posted, but heard on 810 earlier today that

1) nba is lowering the age limit to 18

and

2) sean miller (and another name i forget) has been subpoenaed
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:54 pm surprised these tidbits haven't been posted, but heard on 810 earlier today that

and

Is #1 confirmed? I heard it was going to be proposed, but don't think they've voted about it yet.

#2 is Will Wade. HC at LSU.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:57 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:54 pm surprised these tidbits haven't been posted, but heard on 810 earlier today that

and

Is #1 confirmed? I heard it was going to be proposed, but don't think they've voted about it yet.

#2 is Will Wade. HC at LSU.
the talking heads sure made it sound like a done deal...i think they were talking with gary parrish about it

edit: looks like you are correct, that it has only been proposed at this point. but, it has the backing of the commissioner which at least at face-value seems to look like he's trying to do the "right" thing from a philosophical perspective
Deleted User 75

Curious to see how the Miller and Ward subpoenas play out. Wonder if Self is nervous he's next?...seems like it'd have happened already for self if it was coming
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm sure the subpoenas caught Self's attention.

The thing is, I'm not sure if Self's testimony helps the defense here at all given that these are assistant coaches on trial. It would seem that it would have helped in the last set of trials, and Self wasn't subpoenaed.
Deleted User 75

All the Adidas stuff is finished right ?

The only stuff left is about financial advisors the assistant coaches were funneling players to?

Hard to keep it all straight.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Whoa.
Doubling down on innocence.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Someone else would know better than I would - very possible that insurance requires KU to try to recover these amounts. Otherwise, I can't imagine why they'd stay in the spotlight any longer than necessary.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm guessing playing the victim card plays better legally. Maybe even with NCAA as far as infractions go.

But, those attorneys' fees though. Never met a client/adjuster that didn't want those back.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Dan Wetzel. What a loser.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦