2023/2024 NCAA Season

Kansas Basketball.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: 2023/2024 NCAA Season

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Psychhawk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:46 pm Kentucky lost at home tonight. Purdue taken to overtime at home by Northwestern.
Speaking of Purdue/Northwestern, this belongs on the Refs thread.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... iscrepancy

This was a foul on NU.
https://twitter.com/burner_craig/status ... 6382188984

@OptaSTATS
·
7h
Northwestern is the only Division I team in the last 25 seasons to...

- score 95+ points
- shoot 55.0% or better
- dish out 20+ assists
- have fewer than 10 turnovers

...and yet still lose. Division I teams had been 763-0 over that span when putting up those numbers in a game.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That shouldn’t have been a foul on the defender - nor on Edey. I’d let that basket stand as is.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and we thought last month had a lot of upsets…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:49 am and we thought last month had a lot of upsets…
parity!

Orrr....teams aren't as good when we have entire roster turnovers year to year.

I've seen lots of individual talent this year, but there aren't any good "teams". There is a real and obvious lack of cohesiveness throughout and that's what makes teams really very good.

It sucks, this whole fucking trend towards professionalism and individualism sucks. You want to be an individual? play golf. this is a damn team sport, be part of a team. great teams aren't made in 1 season, lightning in a bottle occasionally but jot conistent good teams, ask Calipari.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:00 am
I've seen lots of individual talent this year, but there aren't any good "teams". There is a real and obvious lack of cohesiveness throughout and that's what makes teams really very good.
I've watched UConn 3 times - they look like a good team.
I've watched also watched Houston 3 times this season - I think they are a good team.
We'll see this Saturday.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I think we're a good team.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I do too.
I don't think we are in the elite teams this year ( elite is graded on a curve, elite within the teams competing ).
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:49 am and we thought last month had a lot of upsets…
parity!

It sucks, this whole fucking trend towards professionalism and individualism sucks. You want to be an individual? play golf. this is a damn team sport, be part of a team. great teams aren't made in 1 season, lightning in a bottle occasionally but jot conistent good teams, ask Calipari.
i’m with you
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:31 am I do too.
I don't think we are in the elite teams this year ( elite is graded on a curve, elite within the teams competing ).
Fair enough.

Houston and UConn in the elite group?

Purdue doesn't impress me much. At least not enough to put them way ahead of KU.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

parity!

Which makes it all the more amazing that Self's team is still filled with a group of totally unselfish players who willingly give up the ball to let another teammate take advantage of an edge they could otherwise try to create for themselves.

Except, they don't.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:54 am
parity!

Which makes it all the more amazing that Self's team is still filled with a group of totally unselfish players who willingly give up the ball to let another teammate take advantage of an edge they could otherwise try to create for themselves.

Except, they don't.
This KU team leads the entire NCAA in assists per game. They seem to be doing just fine offensively. KU loses games when their defensive intensity isn't up to par.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

yes
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Nebraska beat #6 Wisconsin last night by 8 in OT after being down by as much as 19. Hoiberg has Nebraska playing pretty good finally. They beat the shit out of Purdue earlier in the year. If they can avoid any really bad losses then I think Nebraska might make the tourney, which is pretty remarkable. Right now they are in Lunardi's Last Four In as a 10 seed.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:19 am
Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:54 am

parity!

Except, they don't.
This KU team leads the entire NCAA in assists per game. They seem to be doing just fine offensively. KU loses games when their defensive intensity isn't up to par.
That's a little misleading.

We lead the country in assists because we are a system offense. Really only KM can get his own shot consistently, and when he does his shooting % drops significantly.

Our defense is better than our offense according to kenpom.

Edit: only slightly. We are now 24adjO and 22adjD
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And our offense is struggling because we still turn the ball over more than we should, we are terrible offensive rebounders and aren't getting to the FT line enough.

Our FG%/shooting is excellent.
Our assists per game is excellent.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:54 am Nebraska beat #6 Wisconsin last night by 8 in OT after being down by as much as 19. Hoiberg has Nebraska playing pretty good finally. They beat the shit out of Purdue earlier in the year. If they can avoid any really bad losses then I think Nebraska might make the tourney, which is pretty remarkable. Right now they are in Lunardi's Last Four In as a 10 seed.
Nebraska is, historically, a career-killing dead-end job.

Glad to see Hoiberg turn it around.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:15 am And our offense is struggling because we still turn the ball over more than we should, we are terrible offensive rebounders and aren't getting to the FT line enough.

I am surprised how quickly we've jumped into top 25 AdjO.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We've jumped 15 spots after the UCF debacle.
It's been boosted by a good showing v OU ( where we had TWO turnovers all game! ), 2 beatdowns vs OSU and a high scoring affair v WVU where we still lost. I also think in most of those we kept our turnovers down.

We play two very good defenses in our next two.
Let's see how we fare.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:15 am And our offense is struggling because we still turn the ball over more than we should, we are terrible offensive rebounders and aren't getting to the FT line enough.

Terrible offensive rebounders is right. Drives me crazy to see a shot go up and everyone immediately head the other way. I can't remember how many times I've see 3 or 4 of the other team under the basket and not a KU jersey to be seen. You're definitely not going to get it if you don't even try.
Psychhawk

Post by Psychhawk »

AlOerter wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:55 pm

Terrible offensive rebounders is right. Drives me crazy to see a shot go up and everyone immediately head the other way. I can't remember how many times I've see 3 or 4 of the other team under the basket and not a KU jersey to be seen. You're definitely not going to get it if you don't even try.
Risk management of over the back fouls due to limited bench?