Joel Embiid

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Joel Embiid

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:00 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:25 am Who gets injured more, Anthony Davis or Joel Embiid?
Didn’t someone point out that AD’s injuries tend to be more minor “knee soreness” type things for which he doesn’t miss more than a handful of games?

Embiid gets hurt and misses 2 years plus an ncaa tournament.
"While the Lakers are yet to emit a statement on his fitness, The Sports on Tap have assembled a list of all of the injuries that he has suffered in his career to date."

Fractured left hand, January 13, 2013
Dislocated finger left hand, January 29, 2014
Sprained ankle, March 28, 2014
Back spasm, 9 April 2014
Chest contusion, December 13, 2014
Sprained left big toe, January 16, 2015
Groin strain, January 30, 2015
Sprained right shoulder, February 7, 2015
Sprained right shoulder, February 21, 2015
Sprained ankle, March 19, 2015
Hip strain, November 11, 2015
Shoulder pain, November 18, 2015
Back injury, January 8, 2016
Concussion, January 25, 2016
Sprained right big toe, 27 February 2016
Knee pain, left knee, 18 May 2016
Sprained ankle, 12 October 2016
Lower back pain, November 12, 2016
Quadriceps, 16 November 2016
Quadriceps, 18 November 2016
Contusion left leg, 17 December 2016
Bruised hip, 11 January 2017
Sprained left thumb, 17 January 2017
Right quadriceps impingement, 23 January 2017
Sickness, 17 October 2017
Inflammation left knee, 25 October 2017
Concussion, 18 November 2017
Groin strain, 1 December 2017
Groin pain, December 11, 2017
Sprained ankle, 8 January 2018
Sprained ankle, 7 March 2018
Elbow impingement, 27 October 2018
Sprained elbow, 1 November 2018
Elbow sprain, November 4, 2018
Sprained hip, 24 November 2018
Illness, 20 December 2018
Sickness, January 1, 2019
Sprained ankle, 12 January 2019
Dislocated index finger, 19 January 2019
Back spasm, 8 March 2019
Right shoulder pain, 13 November 2019
Sprained right ankle, 17 December 2019
Gluteal contusion, January 20, 2020
Right knee pain, March 1, 2020
Calf strain, December 27, 2020
Abductor strain, January 8, 2021
Quadriceps contusion, January 28, 2021
Achilles tendon tendonitis, 8 February 2021
Achilles tendonitis, 16 February 2021
Groin strain, May 30, 2021

https://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/20 ... b45b0.html
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:52 am "but what exactly do you feel Embiid can do that Kareem couldn't"

Shoot from 3.
Another thing embiid is fantastic at is playing pick and roll defense.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:54 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:52 am "but what exactly do you feel Embiid can do that Kareem couldn't"

Shoot from 3.
This is always such a silly argument.

If you pulled Embiid and Kareem from exactly the same age year, and put them on the floor together, Embiid would make Kareem look like a juco backup.

That is not meant to diminish Kareem's greatness in any way - the lens should be how good a guy is compared to his contemporaries.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:00 am

Shoot from 3.

If you pulled Embiid and Kareem from exactly the same age year, and put them on the floor together, Embiid would make Kareem look like a juco backup.

That is not meant to diminish Kareem's greatness in any way - the lens should be how good a guy is compared to his contemporaries.
Yeesh, how quickly people forget just how amazing young Kareem was.

At the same age of 26, Kareem averaged 27 points ( with no 3 pointers available), 14.5 boards, 4.8 assists, 3.5 blocks while playing 43 minutes a game in 81 games. So I don't really see Embiid making him look like a JUCO backup. Embiid has only played 43 or more minutes in a game ONCE in his entire career and it was in a triple OT game.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You make a compelling case for Kareem being even better than Embiid, in comparison to his contemporaries.

You do not make a case at all for Kareem being the superior basketball player, in (hypothetical) comparison to Embiid.

I think you'd have to be a fool to think that if you could just snap your fingers and make them play each other as each was at 25 (or 27, or whatever age), Kareem would even be competitive.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:18 am

At the same age of 26, Kareem averaged 27 points ( with no 3 pointers available), 14.5 boards, 4.8 assists, 3.5 blocks while playing 43 minutes a game in 81 games. So I don't really see Embiid making him look like a JUCO backup. Embiid has only played 43 or more minutes in a game ONCE in his entire career and it was in a triple OT game.
You could also look at that and say Embiid is averaging 28/10/3 while playing a full quarter less a game.

I'll put it this way. Embiid can do everything Kareem could. Kareem can't do everything Embiid can.
Kareem was 1-18 from 3 for his career. Whether he could shoot the 3 or not is irrelevant, but it does show he didn't play out of the paint much. Embiid has an entire skill set that Kareem never even sniffed. Even without shooting the 3, how many times in his career did Kareem catch the ball in the midrange, face up, and take his man off the dribble? I'll admit right now I never got to watch him live, even late in his career, only highlights and replays of a few classic games. So I'm legitimately asking did he have that in his offensive arsenal, because I've never seen it.

Fish was right. It's basically the old beaten argument that players today are just simply better than previous generations and it's not discrediting the greatness of guys that played in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:56 am

You could also look at that and say Embiid is averaging 28/10/3 while playing a full quarter less a game.

I'll put it this way. Embiid can do everything Kareem could. Kareem can't do everything Embiid can.
Kareem was 1-18 from 3 for his career. Whether he could shoot the 3 or not is irrelevant, but it does show he didn't play out of the paint much. Embiid has an entire skill set that Kareem never even sniffed. Even without shooting the 3, how many times in his career did Kareem catch the ball in the midrange, face up, and take his man off the dribble? I'll admit right now I never got to watch him live, even late in his career, only highlights and replays of a few classic games. So I'm legitimately asking did he have that in his offensive arsenal, because I've never seen it.

Fish was right. It's basically the old beaten argument that players today are just simply better than previous generations and it's not discrediting the greatness of guys that played in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Add "play 43 minutes a game" to the list of things that Embiid cannot do that Kareem could. Embiid would be a broken pile of parts if he came even close to playing that much. You can go search youtube videos to get a feel for Kareem's game. His sky hook was almost always started off the dribble so yes, he could catch a ball outside of the paint and take his guy off the dribble.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:21 am You make a compelling case for Kareem being even better than Embiid, in comparison to his contemporaries.

You do not make a case at all for Kareem being the superior basketball player, in (hypothetical) comparison to Embiid.

I think you'd have to be a fool to think that if you could just snap your fingers and make them play each other as each was at 25 (or 27, or whatever age), Kareem would even be competitive.
You'd have to be a fool to think that you could just snap your fingers and make them play each other as each was at 25 (or 27, or whatever age). I don't bother attempting it other than to believe that Kareem would look better than a JUCO scrub as you suggested.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:13 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:56 am

Add "play 43 minutes a game" to the list of things that Embiid cannot do that Kareem could. Embiid would be a broken pile of parts if he came even close to playing that much. You can go search youtube videos to get a feel for Kareem's game. His sky hook was almost always started off the dribble so yes, he could catch a ball outside of the paint and take his guy off the dribble.
If you really want to go down this silly path, then I'd point out that Embiid has something like 60+ pounds on Kareem's playing weight when young. Talk about one of them ending up being a broken pile of parts.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:15 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:21 am You make a compelling case for Kareem being even better than Embiid, in comparison to his contemporaries.

You'd have to be a fool to think that you could just snap your fingers and make them play each other as each was at 25 (or 27, or whatever age). I don't bother attempting it other than to believe that Kareem would look better than a JUCO scrub as you suggested.
Of course. Again, the proper way to compare across generations is to compare how good a player is against his contemporaries. And there are very good reasons to say that Kareem is better on that basis.

But, you just cannot convince me that Kareem, as he existed at 27 years old, would be even competitive with Joel as he exists today (at 27 years old).

The differences in training and development and the game of basketball generally are just too great.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:20 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:15 pm

Of course. Again, the proper way to compare across generations is to compare how good a player is against his contemporaries. And there are very good reasons to say that Kareem is better on that basis.

But, you just cannot convince me that Kareem, as he existed at 27 years old, would be even competitive with Joel as he exists today (at 27 years old).

The differences in training and development and the game of basketball generally are just too great.
Cool. I won't bother trying to, then. You'd think with such advanced "training and development" that Embiid would be in good enough shape to play more...

Hopefully Embiid makes it back from his latest injury in time to help his team chase his first NBA title, moving him closer to Kareem's count of 6 NBA titles.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Kareem would be more than fine in today's NBA from a team game perspective.

The issue here is that he's being compared to Embiid, who looks to be along with Jokic the best 7'0" players since Kevin Garnett(?)

It's different than comparing Kareem to players in the NBA that get 3ish contracts just for being 7'0" tall, which still happens too often. I tend to agree that Kareem would have his way with Bol Bol and Dragan Bender, et al.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

Fish - You're a smart guy. Meanwhile, you're probably 100% wrong about Embiid making Kareem look like a JUCO scrub. To me, that's just plain ignorant.
As I asked Illi - did you ever see Kareem play?
Let me ask you this. Do you know that Kareem and Wilt went up against each other head to head multiple times?
I'm pretty sure Kareem put up 50 against him in one of those games. They both "dominated" each other when they played against each other so please don't try to convince me or anyone else that Embiid would make Kareem look like a JUCO scrub. Unless you feel Kareem would make Embiid look like a JUCO scrub too.
Do you feel Embiid would make Wilt look like a JUCO scrub? Maybe you do. I feel he probably wouldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2U4JSrpO78
Last edited by Deleted User 880 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It says something about Wilt that when talking about all-time great bigs and their competition it is almost always mentioned that Kareem and Russell played against Wilt.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Again, none of it is meant as a knock on the past guys. It's just different types of humans these days.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Kareem might have perfect genetics for basketball.

If he were born in the 90s and playing today, he'd probably be a longer Durant/Giannis hybrid.

He developed the best hook shot in history when they banned the dunk. Pretty sure he'd have had a 3 pt jumper if coaches had encouraged/allowed him to work on it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:41 pm Again, none of it is meant as a knock on the past guys. It's just different types of humans these days.
7 footers often look alike throughout NBA history. Joel just looks different, though. He is an absolute monster. Shaq also looked different.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:41 pm Again, none of it is meant as a knock on the past guys. It's just different types of humans these days.
This particular human seems to be very fragile despite all the modern technology and training tools available. I keep getting told about what great athletes we have today yet few of them seem to actually survive a bump, strain, sprain, etc... I hate to be a grumpy old guy but being a really good athlete playing in a game is better in my eyes than being a great athlete sitting on a training table during the game.

A sports car that is constantly in the shop is of little value to its driver. They are only awesome when you can actually drive them.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:44 pm Kareem might have perfect genetics for basketball.

If he were born in the 90s and playing today, he'd probably be a longer Durant/Giannis hybrid.

He developed the best hook shot in history when they banned the dunk. Pretty sure he'd have had a 3 pt jumper if coaches had encouraged/allowed him to work on it.
3 pointers weren't even a thing until Kareem's last half of his NBA career. That was after being outrageously successful in HS, college, and a decade in NBA.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In the vacuum of a hypo matchup, how would Kareem respond for the first time in his career to having to guard a big man draining 3s against him?