Ugh.
twocoach

Re: 2024

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:14 pm
japhy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 pm
Tell me why he will do "better" given a second chance? I am all ears.
He won't. He's an asshole.

But that's not to say that he'll be able to overcome the institutional barriers that prevent him from becoming the tyrant he wants to be. Moreover, even if he were somehow able to impose his will, that doesn't mean the system will be unable to rehabilitate itself. We survived Wilson, for example, who was far more driven, far more dictatorial, and far smarter than Trump -- and had the support of most of the "right" sorts of people, which Trump will not.

The hyperbolists on both the Left and the Right have to decide if their opponent is a dithering, incompetent old man or the greatest, most profound threat to liberty in the history of ever.

I suspect that both are somewhere in between but come closer to the former than the latter.
I think you chalk up far too much of Donald Trump's incompetence to his age. He can't speak or remember anything mostly because he is ill-prepared, uninformed and incompetent, not just because he is old.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:39 am
If trumpty leaves NATO and Putin takes Ukraine, parts of Poland and other insignificant parts of Europe in his mission to reclaim the "Ancient Russian State" how long do you think it might take to rehabilitate that?
I dunno. I think it was 44 years to rehab that part of the world after the greatest president in the history of ever sold it out at Yalta.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:52 am

But that's not to say that he'll be able to overcome the institutional barriers that prevent him from becoming the tyrant he wants to be. Moreover, even if he were somehow able to impose his will, that doesn't mean the system will be unable to rehabilitate itself. We survived Wilson, for example, who was far more driven, far more dictatorial, and far smarter than Trump -- and had the support of most of the "right" sorts of people, which Trump will not.

The hyperbolists on both the Left and the Right have to decide if their opponent is a dithering, incompetent old man or the greatest, most profound threat to liberty in the history of ever.

I suspect that both are somewhere in between but come closer to the former than the latter.
I think you chalk up far too much of Donald Trump's incompetence to his age. He can't speak or remember anything mostly because he is ill-prepared, uninformed and incompetent, not just because he is old.
I don't necessarily disagree, but then, since that's mostly beside the point, I didn't worry about it.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:11 am
If trumpty leaves NATO and Putin takes Ukraine, parts of Poland and other insignificant parts of Europe in his mission to reclaim the "Ancient Russian State" how long do you think it might take to rehabilitate that?
I dunno. I think it was 44 years to rehab that part of the world after the greatest president in the history of ever sold it out at Yalta.
i always thought Roosevelt played second fiddle to Churchill (and even stalin) during all of those meetings
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Bye bye nikki
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:52 am

Among, it would seem from reporting anyway, other things.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

So you're thinking four decades to rehabilitate after a trumpty second term.

To put that in some perspective; not in our lifetime and probably not in our children's lifetime. Two generations from now.

I think that sounds about right even when viewed from my less learned historical perspective.

I did not realize that the gap between "hyperbolic" and "realistic" was so small. Months, maybe even weeks.

good job good post
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

4 decades and 2 generations of this face of the new generation of the Republican Party? God help us all.
The sick thing is people actually love this woman.

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/ ... 5309579285
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: Politics is a game of addition, not subtraction.

As Nikki Haley touted a recent boost in fundraising, Donald Trump appeared to threaten her donors Wednesday, saying anyone who gives to her campaign will be "permanently barred from the MAGA camp."

Kaitlan Collins
@kaitlancollins

President Biden: "Donald Trump made it clear he doesn’t want Nikki Haley’s supporters. I want to be clear: There is a place for them in my campaign. I know there is a lot we won’t agree on. But on the fundamental issues of preserving American democracy, on standing up for the rule of law, on treating each other with decency and dignity and respect, on preserving NATO and standing up to America’s adversaries, I hope and believe we can find common ground."
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:53 pm Today In: Politics is a game of addition, not subtraction.

As Nikki Haley touted a recent boost in fundraising, Donald Trump appeared to threaten her donors Wednesday, saying anyone who gives to her campaign will be "permanently barred from the MAGA camp."

Kaitlan Collins
@kaitlancollins

President Biden: "Donald Trump made it clear he doesn’t want Nikki Haley’s supporters. I want to be clear: There is a place for them in my campaign. I know there is a lot we won’t agree on. But on the fundamental issues of preserving American democracy, on standing up for the rule of law, on treating each other with decency and dignity and respect, on preserving NATO and standing up to America’s adversaries, I hope and believe we can find common ground."
Cliff Notes, for the lazy (randy, mich) - Trump = bully; Uncle Joe = guy who punches bully in the mouth
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i sort of love kaitlin collins sometimes.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:04 am

To put that in some perspective; not in our lifetime and probably not in our children's lifetime. Two generations from now.

I think that sounds about right even when viewed from my less learned historical perspective.

I did not realize that the gap between "hyperbolic" and "realistic" was so small. Months, maybe even weeks.

good job good post
Sure. Fine.

But it's not gonna happen. None of it.

So...there's that.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:53 pm Today In: Politics is a game of addition, not subtraction.

Kaitlan Collins
@kaitlancollins

LOL

Her donors were always going to vote Biden.

Even if she won.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:12 pm

Kaitlan Collins
@kaitlancollins

LOL

Her donors were always going to vote Biden.

Even if she won.
Yeah, I have wondered what percentage of her donors were Dems who want to be done with Trump and what percentage were Republicans who want to be done with Trump.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:11 pm

good job good post
Sure. Fine.

So...there's that.
But THIS part has already happened.
I didn't think a political figure would ever lose an election in the US and foment a violent insurrection and direct the crowd to take over the US Capital and stop the peaceful transfer of power, but it happened. We still haven't rehabilitated that. Until the majority of rubepublican voters admit it was a coup attempt and admit their cult god-king trumpty is lying about losing the election I will not consider that "rehabilitated". Four years later he is still repeating the lie and sane conservatives are leaving office to distance themselves from the mess because they think things get worse in November and they want no culpability. How long before the conservative party is rehabilitated from being the conspiracy party?

I didn't think a politician could lose an election, attempt a coup and then run for office again and stand a realistic chance of getting elected with the support of a "conservative law and order party". How long do you figure for that rehabilitation to take?

I never thought I would see a political party turn conspiratorial and undermine our healthcare system and medical care. And here we are four years later and Floriduh is telling the folks they can git vaccinated if you want, but if you want to restart measles as a national health menace that is your right. A serious blow to the nation health and healthcare is being dealt by the rubepublican party, how long you figure to rehabilitate that?
But the rest is not gonna happen. Got it.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

19 percent of Minnesota primary democrats vote “uncommitted”

Up from 13 percent last week in Michigan
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Despite my decision to vote NO before I received this, I felt this was kind of shady to tell residents how they should vote.

Email from my landlord.....

Dear Resident,

As you may have heard, Mayor Johnson’s Bring Chicago Home referendum question was approved to appear on the ballot for the March 19, 2024 election. Otherwise referred to as the Real Estate Transfer Tax or Mansion Tax, if passed, this would increase tax on the sale of properties valued at $1 million and above. This follows a similar attempt at disguising burdensome taxes by the City of Los Angeles, which has failed.

While politicians would like you to believe this Tax will solely affect wealthy property owners, the TRUTH IS, it will negatively impact Chicago’s economy by:
Significantly decreasing real estate transaction and development activity, including that of affordable housing
Reducing economic investment and financing opportunities that drive growth
Further dissuading private investment from out-of-state investors
Decreasing construction and permanent jobs, devastating Chicago’s middle class
Significantly increasing rents as landlords pass on the cost via their rental rates
Furthermore, while this initiative is suggesting to yield $100 million a year to fund affordable housing and homelessness services, despite having nearly $40 million in unspent federal housing dollars, the specific usage of the money will not be determined until the City Council rules. This will not occur until after results of the primary are in. So essentially, this Transfer Tax would provide the City a blank check with no accountability for spending. Look at the fine job Mayor Johnson has done housing the migrants this winter!

How can you help? That’s simple – vote NO on the Real Estate Transfer Tax question. Don’t be fooled, beware of the hidden rent hike!

We appreciate your cooperation as we strive to maintain competitive rental rates for you, our residents.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:02 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:11 pm

good job good post
Sure. Fine.

So...there's that.
But THIS part has already happened.
I didn't think a political figure would ever lose an election in the US and foment a violent insurrection and direct the crowd to take over the US Capital and stop the peaceful transfer of power, but it happened. We still haven't rehabilitated that. Until the majority of rubepublican voters admit it was a coup attempt and admit their cult god-king trumpty is lying about losing the election I will not consider that "rehabilitated". Four years later he is still repeating the lie and sane conservatives are leaving office to distance themselves from the mess because they think things get worse in November and they want no culpability. How long before the conservative party is rehabilitated from being the conspiracy party?

I didn't think a politician could lose an election, attempt a coup and then run for office again and stand a realistic chance of getting elected with the support of a "conservative law and order party". How long do you figure for that rehabilitation to take?

I never thought I would see a political party turn conspiratorial and undermine our healthcare system and medical care. And here we are four years later and Floriduh is telling the folks they can git vaccinated if you want, but if you want to restart measles as a national health menace that is your right. A serious blow to the nation health and healthcare is being dealt by the rubepublican party, how long you figure to rehabilitate that?
But the rest is not gonna happen. Got it.
I do not think it makes sense to look at, you know, what happened and conclude that somehow it will improve with fewer restraints and greater moral hazard.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Mitchell Minute: Mitch McConnell's endorsement of Donald Trump was completely unsurprising...

Because Donald Trump is just another Republican.
Anand Giridharadas