We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:27 pm Youre arguing 2 different things at the same time. Are we talking about the 2 sides getting farther from the middle? Or are we talking about your personal views
Both. I think my personal views are pretty centrist. I also think your diet of what you are told are “mainstream” views (even of the left), is not remotely close to reality.

There’s a reason you are fed that diet, and it has to do with the profit margin on nonsense like MAGA koozies.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And, that diet has consequences. Over a large enough sample size, crazy people fed crazy diets will do crazy things.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/20/business ... index.html
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:17 pm Some of the leftist things lately that actually bother me:

4. Not wanting to require voter ID, but labeling states/politicians that want it as "banning voting rights" - the list of things you need ID for is pretty massive, no reason voting shouldn't be on it
So let me get this straight (while 1-3 are batsh!t crazy, 4 is the worst)

Asking someone to go through background checks and registration for buying a gun is infringement of their rights but asking someone to get a government issued identification for voting is not an infringement of their rights?

Voting is a Constitutionally protected right, in case you and your fellow fascists haven’t noticed. Constitution has qualifications around the right to keep and bear arms (“well-regulated militia”, anyone?) but limitations put in by the founding fathers have been removed (such as the need to be a white man). A requirement for an identification for voting is unconstitutional, both figuratively and literally.

You have just lost any credibility to speak about “rights”
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Voting and guns are constitutional rights, and you should need ID for both

Have you ever bought a gun? You get ID'ed. At least at any reputable dealer
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:18 am Is that parody? I can't tell.
This has gotta be one of the most obvious money grabs in recent history

https://youtu.be/3jlagjfJ1XU
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:11 pm Voting and guns are constitutional rights, and you should need ID for both

I’ll grant that getting an ID is not an infringement on my rights until obtaining one is free of charge and does not require taking time off work. Until you can guarantee that anyone who needs one can get one under those terms requiring an ID to vote will be an infringement of one’s rights
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

zsn wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:22 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:11 pm Voting and guns are constitutional rights, and you should need ID for both

I’ll grant that getting an ID is not an infringement on my rights until obtaining one is free of charge and does not require taking time off work. Until you can guarantee that anyone who needs one can get one under those terms requiring an ID to vote will be an infringement of one’s rights
I'm 100 percent for a free ID. People should be able to apply for one. Of all the trillions of dollars the government wastes, we can easily do this
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Also I don't know how a grown adult or even an 18 year old doesn't have a fucking ID but that is besides the point lol

If you dont have your life together enough to have an ID im not expecting to get the most informed vote from that person. Lol.

But. Everyone has the right to vote. Shouldn't be hard to set up a program to get a free ID if that is the only hurdle for voter ID
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

is this a real post?
Just Ledoux it
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

There is no viable treatment for a pedophile.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

dolomite wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:08 pm There is no viable treatment for a pedophile.
Yeah, but you probably ate the Snickers bar anyway
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:07 pm

is this a real post?
I take it then that you support a poll tax.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:44 pm Also I don't know how a grown adult or even an 18 year old doesn't have a fucking ID but that is besides the point lol

If you dont have your life together enough to have an ID im not expecting to get the most informed vote from that person. Lol.

But. Everyone has the right to vote. Shouldn't be hard to set up a program to get a free ID if that is the only hurdle for voter ID
…….and *I am* the elitist!

When I worked for a large pharmaceutical company headquartered in NYC I knew several colleagues who were close to retirement who never had a driver’s license in their entire lives!! I don’t know if they got a State ID.

Regardless, shouldn’t everyone have the right to NOT have an ID? You know who required EVERYONE to have an ID? Do the words “Papers, please” mean anything to you?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

No ID. No vote.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:11 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:07 pm

is this a real post?
I take it then that you support a poll tax.
is this a real post?
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:44 pm Also I don't know how a grown adult or even an 18 year old doesn't have a fucking ID but that is besides the point lol

You should probably not complain about ill-informed voters.

The ID thing is sort of like a flat tax, or a work requirement for SNAP benefits. Sounds right at a 30,000 foot level, but ends up being inequitable on the ground.

There are thoughtful, researched pro/con voter ID arguments here:

https://ballotpedia.org/Arguments_for_a ... ation_laws

My view is that actual voter fraud is so rare that the cons outweigh the pros.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Overlander wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:32 pm
dolomite wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:08 pm There is no viable treatment for a pedophile.
Yeah, but you probably ate the Snickers bar anyway
So my mother was wrong when she told me to take candy from strangers?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Cocaine is a helluva drug.
Defense. Rebounds.