We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:55 am
Cocaine is a helluva drug.
Yeah, it seems Donny might have celebrated 4/20 by doing 4/20ths (a 1/5th) of an ounce of cocaine before he decided to go on his rant.
I wonder if he truly believes all of what he says.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I feel Jr.!

Because, it would take a wholelotta medicine to make it possible for me to wake up next to Kimberly Guilfoyle more than once, too.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I do not know if this is behind a pay wall. If it is, then you cannot see that each and every point is supported by linked stories/research.

This is a good, one-stop shop of many of the pieces presently moving on the board.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... il-20-2023
Josh Dawsey and Amy Gardner of the Washington Post reported that lawyer Cleta Mitchell, who was deeply involved in Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 presidential election, this weekend told Republican donors that the party must restrict access to the vote for young voters. Gen Z voters were the key element in providing the extraordinary 11-point victory for pro-choice Wisconsin supreme court candidate Janet Protasiewicz, and they are central to the movement to enact gun safety legislation.

Far from being ostracized for her attempt to overthrow our democratic system, Mitchell is advising the Republican National Committee. In her presentation she declared: “Our constitutional republic’s survival is at stake.”

Dawsey and Gardner appear to have gotten their information from someone who was there.

In Georgia, the fake electors who prepared a false set of electoral votes for Donald Trump in 2020 have begun to turn on each other while also accusing the lawyer who represented ten of them of failing to inform them of immunity offers.

An arbitration panel ordered My Pillow chief executive officer Mike Lindell, who was also deeply involved in Trump’s crusade to overturn the election, to hand over a $5 million payment to an expert who took him up on his challenge to prove that his data did not reflect the 2020 election. According to Lindell’s deposition in the case, he offered the money simply to draw attention to his accusations, and he did not expect anyone to meet his criteria.

Robert Zeidman, a software developer, did. He sued for the money and won, saying that he is a “conservative Republican” but wanted to call out election lies.

The vice-chair of the Republican caucus in the Tennessee House of Representatives resigned today, “effective immediately,” after a NewsChannel 5 investigation confronted him with the story that a secret ethics subcommittee had found him guilty of sexually harassing at least one intern, and likely two. Thirty-nine year old Scotty Campbell, who voted to expel Justin Jones and Justin J. Pearson for protesting the body’s refusal to take up gun safety legislation, had not previously borne any penalties for his actions, although taxpayers have: they funded the relocation of one of the interns to put distance between her and Campbell.

For his part, Campbell said: “I had consensual, adult conversations with two adults off property.”

Meanwhile, Judd Legum’s discovery that Tennessee House speaker Cameron Sexton appears to live in Nashville although he represents a district two hours away has raised questions about whether Sexton is legally in office.

News has also broken that federal judge Matthew Kacsmaryk, who recently tried to unwind the approval by the Food and Drug Administration of the drug mifepristone, which is used for medical abortions among other things, misled senators during his confirmation process. He did not disclose that he had removed his own name from a law journal article criticizing protections for abortion and transgender people, and he did not disclose that he had given at least two interviews with Christian talk radio about his right-wing opinions about abortion, gay rights, divorce, and the sexual revolution, although he was required to.

Kacsmaryk said he did not recall the recordings, but Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) said: “You want to talk about the ultimate bait and switch? I feel like I got duped. I feel like I voted for somebody based on what had been presented to me. And you do this? That is totally, totally wrong.”

On Tuesday, David French of the New York Times reports, Dominion Voting Systems won a substantial victory over the Fox Corporation that supports the Fox News Channel. Dominion sued Fox for defamation after its hosts lied about Dominion as part of their support for Trump’s attempt to overthrow the results of the 2020 presidential election. In the runup to the settlement, Dominion appeared already to have proven that Fox News Channel hosts had lied, but Dominion’s claims for more than $1 billion in damages in future earnings were weak, French argued, since Dominion had earned just $118.3 million between 2017 and 2019. A $787.5 settlement was a major victory.

Meanwhile, the process of discovery badly damaged any credibility the Fox News Channel claimed, as its hosts privately disparaged the claims they made on air. And Fox is still on the hook for that discrepancy. Another voting machine company, Smartmatic, is suing Fox News, Fox hosts Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro, former Fox host Lou Dobbs, and Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani, for $2.7 billion.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:47 am I do not know if this is behind a pay wall. If it is, then you cannot see that each and every point is supported by linked stories/research.

This is a good, one-stop shop of many of the pieces presently moving on the board.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... il-20-2023
Josh Dawsey and Amy Gardner of the Washington Post reported that lawyer Cleta Mitchell, who was deeply involved in Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 presidential election, this weekend told Republican donors that the party must restrict access to the vote for young voters. Gen Z voters were the key element in providing the extraordinary 11-point victory for pro-choice Wisconsin supreme court candidate Janet Protasiewicz, and they are central to the movement to enact gun safety legislation.

Far from being ostracized for her attempt to overthrow our democratic system, Mitchell is advising the Republican National Committee. In her presentation she declared: “Our constitutional republic’s survival is at stake.”

Dawsey and Gardner appear to have gotten their information from someone who was there.

In Georgia, the fake electors who prepared a false set of electoral votes for Donald Trump in 2020 have begun to turn on each other while also accusing the lawyer who represented ten of them of failing to inform them of immunity offers.

An arbitration panel ordered My Pillow chief executive officer Mike Lindell, who was also deeply involved in Trump’s crusade to overturn the election, to hand over a $5 million payment to an expert who took him up on his challenge to prove that his data did not reflect the 2020 election. According to Lindell’s deposition in the case, he offered the money simply to draw attention to his accusations, and he did not expect anyone to meet his criteria.

Robert Zeidman, a software developer, did. He sued for the money and won, saying that he is a “conservative Republican” but wanted to call out election lies.

The vice-chair of the Republican caucus in the Tennessee House of Representatives resigned today, “effective immediately,” after a NewsChannel 5 investigation confronted him with the story that a secret ethics subcommittee had found him guilty of sexually harassing at least one intern, and likely two. Thirty-nine year old Scotty Campbell, who voted to expel Justin Jones and Justin J. Pearson for protesting the body’s refusal to take up gun safety legislation, had not previously borne any penalties for his actions, although taxpayers have: they funded the relocation of one of the interns to put distance between her and Campbell.

For his part, Campbell said: “I had consensual, adult conversations with two adults off property.”

Meanwhile, Judd Legum’s discovery that Tennessee House speaker Cameron Sexton appears to live in Nashville although he represents a district two hours away has raised questions about whether Sexton is legally in office.

News has also broken that federal judge Matthew Kacsmaryk, who recently tried to unwind the approval by the Food and Drug Administration of the drug mifepristone, which is used for medical abortions among other things, misled senators during his confirmation process. He did not disclose that he had removed his own name from a law journal article criticizing protections for abortion and transgender people, and he did not disclose that he had given at least two interviews with Christian talk radio about his right-wing opinions about abortion, gay rights, divorce, and the sexual revolution, although he was required to.

Kacsmaryk said he did not recall the recordings, but Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) said: “You want to talk about the ultimate bait and switch? I feel like I got duped. I feel like I voted for somebody based on what had been presented to me. And you do this? That is totally, totally wrong.”

On Tuesday, David French of the New York Times reports, Dominion Voting Systems won a substantial victory over the Fox Corporation that supports the Fox News Channel. Dominion sued Fox for defamation after its hosts lied about Dominion as part of their support for Trump’s attempt to overthrow the results of the 2020 presidential election. In the runup to the settlement, Dominion appeared already to have proven that Fox News Channel hosts had lied, but Dominion’s claims for more than $1 billion in damages in future earnings were weak, French argued, since Dominion had earned just $118.3 million between 2017 and 2019. A $787.5 settlement was a major victory.

Meanwhile, the process of discovery badly damaged any credibility the Fox News Channel claimed, as its hosts privately disparaged the claims they made on air. And Fox is still on the hook for that discrepancy. Another voting machine company, Smartmatic, is suing Fox News, Fox hosts Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro, former Fox host Lou Dobbs, and Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani, for $2.7 billion.
but dude, didn’t you hear?

Biden talked to a trans tiktok star
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Not sure which thread this belongs in...
Texas legislature passed bill forcing ten commandments to be posted in every public school and to set aside time for Bible study and prayer.

This was struck down by the Supreme Court in the 80s when Kentucky tried to do it because there was no secular reason to justify this.

Texas is going to probably argue that it's for safety in schools. Could get interesting. And infuriating.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:35 pm Not sure which thread this belongs in...
Texas legislature passed bill forcing ten commandments to be posted in every public school and to set aside time for Bible study and prayer.

This was struck down by the Supreme Court in the 80s when Kentucky tried to do it because there was no secular reason to justify this.

Texas is going to probably argue that it's for safety in schools. Could get interesting. And infuriating.
If I understand correctly, it hasn't yet passed through the House (or governor's office). So there's nothing to litigate yet.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

shouldn't pass. First its ridiculous.....Second it doesn't really fit with our whole freedom of religion thing...
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:00 pm shouldn't pass. First its ridiculous.....Second it doesn't really fit with our whole freedom of religion thing...
Freedom from is very much a part of freedom of.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:05 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:00 pm shouldn't pass. First its ridiculous.....Second it doesn't really fit with our whole freedom of religion thing...
well sure...that, and it sure would feel weird walking past that everyday as a Buddhist and then reading in your school book about how we are open to all.....
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:09 pm
well sure...that, and it sure would feel weird walking past that everyday as a Buddhist and then reading in your school book about how we are open to all.....
it is texas after all…you sure they haven’t removed that from their school books?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:22 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:09 pm

it is texas after all…you sure they haven’t removed that from their school books?
Wait, hang on. Here's a picture of a typical Texas schoolbook:

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Is everyone else as excited as I am about Senator Hawley's new book?

Manhood: The Masculine Virtues America Needs
Signed by: Josh Hawley

https://www.flickr.com/photos/197810955 ... ed-friend/
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:36 pm Is everyone else as excited as I am about Senator Hawley's new book?

Manhood: The Masculine Virtues America Needs
Signed by: Josh Hawley

https://www.flickr.com/photos/197810955 ... ed-friend/
Can't wait for Jason Whitlock's review, or Kietzman's.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the part of hawley played by marilyn manson?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I was wondering how Sherrod Brown could keep his seat in reddening Ohio.

Welp, there's the answer.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:44 pm wait, what?

https://www.alternet.org/amp/ohio-senat ... 2659894375
I had to check to make sure that wasn't the Onion.

I kept suppressing the thought that it was a parody as I read the article.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:55 am
Cocaine is a helluva drug.
My money is that he is on Meth
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:20 pm the part of hawley played by marilyn manson?
To the tune of the Chariots of Fire score.