Uncle Joe

Ugh.
DeletedUser

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by DeletedUser »

The endless fight to prove/point out Rs are worse than Ds seems pointless to me. You're wasting your time spending so much effort trying to earn gotcha points from people who won't acknowledge you even if you're right anyway.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Now that Randi's back, why doesn't someone start a thread where we can place bets on which reality-based poster will leave next, once they've had enough of his shit, like PhD did?

(nothing personal)
Last edited by Shirley on Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Shirley wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:18 pm Now that Randi's back, why doesn't someone should start a thread where we can place bets on which reality-based poster will leave next, once they've had enough of his shit, like PhD did?

(nothing personal)
Hopefully nobody leaves.

Hopefully people also resist turning every thread into gotcha game Randy Bingo. Some things aren't worth debating with some people.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

shirley is kind of a snowflake. so my money is on shirley.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:44 pm shirley is kind of a snowflake. so my money is on shirley.
I'm flattered to learn you're thinking about me!
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

We know Mich isn’t going anywhere…this is the summit in terms of his life.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:21 pm We know Mich isn’t going anywhere…this is the summit in terms of his life.
Mich's "super bowl", if you will?
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

not that I'm important enough to register in any lists....but I'm too stubborn to leave, I wouldn't want anyone to think they "won", that, and I don't care enough I guess
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you’re important to me
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:43 am you’re important to me
^^^
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Shirley wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:18 pm Now that Randi's back, why doesn't someone start a thread where we can place bets on which reality-based poster will leave next, once they've had enough of his shit, like PhD did?

(nothing personal)
How soft do you have to be to leave a message board because someone else has different opinions?

Also PhD left because after talking down to anyone he disagreed with for a year, he ended up being wrong about a lot of shit. And he couldn't stomach that. Which is silly, everyone is wrong about things. And even academic opinions of things are constantly changing
Last edited by randylahey on Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Also isn't the main purpose of this board basketball? If you genuinely can't handle someone else having different political opinions, maybe just stick to the basketball board
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Like riding a bike…..
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this board is (predominately) about basketball, but where did dipshit run for his first posts post-ban?

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:49 am
Shirley wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:18 pm Now that Randi's back, why doesn't someone start a thread where we can place bets on which reality-based poster will leave next, once they've had enough of his shit, like PhD did?

(nothing personal)
How soft do you have to be to leave a message board because someone else has different opinions?

Also PhD left because after talking down to anyone he disagreed with for a year, he ended up being wrong about a lot of shit. And he couldn't stomach that. Which is silly, everyone is wrong about this. And even academic opinions of things are constantly changing
In the context of your post, that last sentence (and its “well actually, lukewarmly-edgy tone) does a very good job summing up your entire deal.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

(nothing personal)

Also PhD left because after talking down to anyone he disagreed with for a year, he ended up being wrong about a lot of shit. And he couldn't stomach that. Which is silly, everyone is wrong about this. And even academic opinions of things are constantly changing
I can't speak for PhD, (Truth is, we never spoke...), but I think I can say with ~ 99.9% confidence that he didn't leave simply because you two had "different opinions". My guess would be he left because it got so old for him, an expert on infectious diseases who has spent his life doing research and training the next generation of infectious disease experts on the staff at one of the ultimate academic institutions in the world, to have to deal with someone with so little personal insight, a Dunning-Kruger* sufferer on steroids, you, whose ignorance is so vast and weaponized so aggressively, it eventually wasn't worth it anymore.**

If I'm wrong, which I'd be surprised to learn, I hope he returns and corrects me. Today would be my preference, or the sooner, the better, because he was one of the best contributors here.

*The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with limited competence in a particular domain overestimate their abilities. Some researchers also include the opposite effect for high performers: their tendency to underestimate their skills...

**nothing personal
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:21 pm

(nothing personal)

I can't speak for PhD, (Truth is, we never spoke...), but I think I can say with ~ 99.9% confidence that he didn't leave simply because you two had "different opinions". My guess would be he left because it got so old for him, an expert on infectious diseases who has spent his life doing research and training the next generation of infectious disease experts on the staff at one of the ultimate academic institutions in the world, to have to deal with someone with so little personal insight, a Dunning-Kruger* sufferer on steroids, you, whose ignorance is so vast and weaponized so aggressively, it eventually wasn't worth it anymore.**

If I'm wrong, which I'd be surprised to learn, I hope he returns and corrects me. Today would be my preference, or the sooner, the better, because he was one of the best contributors here.

*The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with limited competence in a particular domain overestimate their abilities. Some researchers also include the opposite effect for high performers: their tendency to underestimate their skills...

**nothing personal
Crazy what a miserable job "the experts" did handling the covid situation

Took a soft sensitive unrealistic approach to it. But then again PhD was clearly soft and sensitive, if he truly tucked tailed and ran away because of me
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

miserable pos
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

(nothing personal)

**nothing personal
I’m probably just restating what you said, but I think a lot of it comes down to asymmetry.

A scientist will almost never use unqualified absolutes. A bad-faith bomb-thrower makes that learned, professional discretion seem like a weakness.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:49 pm

**nothing personal
I’m probably just restating what you said, but I think a lot of it comes down to asymmetry.

A scientist will almost never use unqualified absolutes. A bad-faith bomb-thrower makes that learned, professional discretion seem like a weakness.
^^^ x 1,000,000,000,000,000

The more you know, the more you become aware of, become knowledgeable about, what you don't know.

Which likely accounts for:

Anand Giridharadas