Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by jhawks99 »

What are the chances it causes cancer?
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:22 pm i’m curious to see how this pans out

https://wxyz.com/news/detroit-getting-1 ... ted-states
Very cool idea.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:47 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:22 pm i’m curious to see how this pans out

Very cool idea.
agreed

i also thought the windows-as-solar panels was a good idea too, but it doesn’t seem to have taken off
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

shopping for a new car now is an absolute joke

avg. $6-8K over msrp, and that’s if you can even find what you want

looked into getting a RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid…impossible to get in Utah (or really anywhere outside of a half dozen or so states)

fuckin brandon
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:11 pm shopping for a new car now is an absolute joke

looked into getting a RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid…impossible to get in Utah (or really anywhere outside of a half dozen or so states)

fuckin brandon
Is this because of the crazy used car market?

My wife bought a new car last year. We initially were going to go the certified pre-owned route, but at the time it was cheaper to buy new than to get a 2 year old in the same model. Which was insane to me.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:11 pm shopping for a new car now is an absolute joke

fuckin brandon
Yep. I’m holding out until at least 2023. I also really want the Rivian truck so waiting on them to have a couple years of manufacturing is also a benefit
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:09 pm

Very cool idea.
agreed

i also thought the windows-as-solar panels was a good idea too, but it doesn’t seem to have taken off
I presume someday soon the the entire exterior of vehicles will be made of solar panels
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:40 pm

fuckin brandon

My wife bought a new car last year. We initially were going to go the certified pre-owned route, but at the time it was cheaper to buy new than to get a 2 year old in the same model. Which was insane to me.
Assuming you werent paying cash..it was like that before the used car market exploded. Much better financing options available for new vs used.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:50 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:09 pm

Very cool idea.
agreed

I presume someday soon the the entire exterior of vehicles will be made of solar panels
they better find a way to reduce the glare off those things then or its gonna be a disaster. Also not sure they'd be the best at taking rocks thrown at them by tires consistently
Just Ledoux it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Yes, technology will improve.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

A lot of this is a result of financial Guru Trumps stupid fucking beef with China.

Cue the village idiots answering their alarms and blaming world market shifts on Bidens 1st year
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

fuckin brandon

with the RAV4 Prime specifically, toyota vastly underestimated demand and were only producing them at a single plant in canada. they have since expanded to a plant in kentucky (?), but are still way behind

from what i’ve been reading, gm and ford are in the same boat re not producing enough to satisfy ev/hybrid demand

the markup issue seems to be industry-wide. there’s a story in wsj (i think) about ford/gm threatening dealers to stop the price gouging

used car prices are on average up something like 30%

fuckin brandon
shindig

Post by shindig »

I've put probably 2k miles on my car in the last two years WFH. Crazy. It's a 2015 Audi A4 and only has 36k miles. I bought it used in March 2019 with 29k, so in almost 4 years I've put 7k miles on it. That will change soon as we start to transition back to the office a few days a week starting in March. It's paid for, so I'm keeping it for a while, although I will be dropping a grand on it this Spring for new tires...sigh.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:03 am

fuckin brandon

with the RAV4 Prime specifically, toyota vastly underestimated demand and were only producing them at a single plant in canada. they have since expanded to a plant in kentucky (?), but are still way behind

from what i’ve been reading, gm and ford are in the same boat re not producing enough to satisfy ev/hybrid demand

the markup issue seems to be industry-wide. there’s a story in wsj (i think) about ford/gm threatening dealers to stop the price gouging

fuckin brandon
I was thinking about getting a Bronco when Ford re-released them, but the waiting period for specific versions was very long.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:52 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:03 am

fuckin brandon
I was thinking about getting a Bronco when Ford re-released them, but the waiting period for specific versions was very long.
they’re so sexy…there’s three of them parked in my lot at work, 2 soft-tops and a hard top. apparently there’s a major design flaw with the soft-tops, where moisture gets in around the door windows during heavy rains

not a fan of fords generally, and i promised myself after getting our truck that any new vehicle we get will be fuel-conscious

but damn they’re good looking 4WDs
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

I wish the Bronco came with more manual transmission options, and also some naturally aspirated motor rather than a bunch of turbos.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:27 am re: Rivian

https://stories.rivian.com/tnc-tallgrass
Nice story, really want one these eventually
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:17 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:27 am re: Rivian

https://stories.rivian.com/tnc-tallgrass
Nice story, really want one these eventually
it’s a two-year wait if you order right now. i just looked, and they are predicting upgrades to 400-mile range for next year’s models

trucks starting at $67,500…a little insane
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Yeah, I was originally hopeful that 2023 would be feasible but it's looking more like 2024 or later. I also want to run my current vehicle into the ground so I have plenty of time. Only 115k on it and I mostly fly and rent cars for work. It could probably last another 6-8 years if I really wanted it to.

The other benefit to waiting until my current car dies is that I could probably pay off the house in that same 6-8 year window.

But, damnit, I WANT that fucking truck. :)