KU's DeSousa SHOULD be ruled eligible but the NCAA blows....

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: KU's DeSousa SHOULD be ruled eligible but the NCAA blows....

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:19 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:49 pm Not sure what that means.
It means the Nike contract would probably $10+ million a year LESS than what Adidas pays us.
Right. I think it's also true that we don't really want to be in the business of pissing Adidas off right now.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Puma would be $15 million less
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:00 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:31 pm Hopefully DeSousa doesn't wear a $480 Gucci t-shirt and a blingy watch to the next game while KU fights to prove he didnt benefit personally from any impermissible benefits. Pretty tone deaf.
I thought i might be splitting hairs if I mentioned that but it was the first thing I noticed as well. Now there is a whole lot that could factor in that...
1. That could be a replica shirt that costs about $20
2. Someone could have bought that for him
3. Do people still get extra money from their scholarship checks? If they do he could have blown it on that shirt.
4. I was scanning his Instagram and he has another photo of him wearing an LV belt and Gucci shoes.

Unrelated story when I was at KU...I remember I was on my way to class (one of the rare times) and happened to walk by Darnell. We started talking and he said something to the affect that I always looked fresh. Now at that time I was probably wearing some Mitchell and Ness throw back jersey but we started talking and he said I wish I could buy those clothes but every dollar I have I send home to support my mom and the family. That is why, whenever you saw DBlock unless it was a dress up occasion he was always in team issued sweats.

Darnell was one the nicest people I have ever met.
Man, I miss D-Block...that dude was the definition of a Jayhawk, and a true Bill Self player.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Always wondered about his diamond ear rings or are they cubic zirconian
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

A few years back a buddy and I drove back to Kansas for a mutual friend’s wedding. We were gonna camp at Woodridge, when a bored impulse driving across western KS prompted us to get a room in Lawrence and party on Mass instead.

Anywho, we were stumbling back to our hotel after last call when we run into none other than Darnell Fucking Jackson.

I shout him a Rock Chalk Darnell what up! Even at 2am he was friendly and engaging. We chat it up, bond over our mutual Class of 2008 status, then exchange a handshake/bro hug.

In hindsight that ended up being even more fun than the wedding.

jk almost LOL #bridesmaids
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

vmlb wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 pm Always wondered about his diamond ear rings or are they cubic zirconian
That could also go a million ways...
1. Real diamonds (highly unlikely)
2. Real diamonds but shitty quality
3. Sapphires
4. CZs
5. Moissanites
6. CVD or synethic diamond

Impossible to tell in photographs.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

could just be costume jewelry too...ya never know lol
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Forde. JFC he has lost it.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Lonestarjayhawk

Showing what a two-bit hack that he really is... hatred for Self and Kansas shows thru.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

At least he managed a Zion reference.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i feel dumber for reading his drivel
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

I didn't see the Forde article on here so I am providing it for others. No doubt harsh but not all the unreasonable.

https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-minutes- ... 14707.html

The one thing I don't understand is that people keep saying KU played a guy we shouldn't have and our Final Four might be/should be vacated.
Are these people that freaking clueless that they don't realize Silvo WAS CLEARED and that's why he played? Ok, I do understand that KU wasn't forthcoming about everything last season but when we did our own internal investigation in to allegations - Silvio never played a minute.
Sure, Self and company knew long ago that the Adidas mafia gave Silvo's pimp cash but he's not the first college guy to have a "guardian" benefit and he won't be the last.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Gutter wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 am I didn't see the Forde article on here so I am providing it for others. No doubt harsh but not all the unreasonable.

The one thing I don't understand is that people keep saying KU played a guy we shouldn't have and our Final Four might be/should be vacated.
Are these people that freaking clueless that they don't realize Silvo WAS CLEARED and that's why he played? Ok, I do understand that KU wasn't forthcoming about everything last season but when we did our own internal investigation in to allegations - Silvio never played a minute.
Sure, Self and company knew long ago that the Adidas mafia gave Silvo's pimp cash but he's not the first college guy to have a "guardian" benefit and he won't be the last.
On a number of levels, it would be illogical and inconsistent to take further enforcement action going backward.

That’s what worries me.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Labeling Gassnola an agent makes me a little worried that they might punish KU for last season a la Marcus Camby. It typically takes either agreements with an agent or benefits from the actual school while playing to get a team punishment. With the alleged benefits coming prior to being at KU, that makes me feel like KU won't get punished.
Lonestarjayhawk

The way Long spoke of labling Gassnola, it was done in a very limited nature. He implied that there was a limited liability from future blowback. He was walking away from it on Saturday. We said it. We didn't mean it. It was said under duress.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

They aren't coming after last year or that banner. If they (the NCAA) did KU would go full 'scorched earth' on the NCAA.

At this rate I would take $10 million less from Nike to avoid the BS that adidas has put us through. Hedge that on Les turning the football program around and bumping up the overall athletic program value the next time an extension comes around.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if we encounter another similar incident, I'm thinking our tone should be "we already held him out once until the NCAA cleared him, and we believe their Certified Amateur status is worth its weight in gold."

in other words, double down on the clearinghouse and dare the NCAA to nullify themselves.

I'd say this is sort of poking the bear, but considering a good-faith self-reported extra-cautious second withholding yielded a TWO YEAR BAN, I don't know how it could get any worse.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:03 am
Gutter wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 am I didn't see the Forde article on here so I am providing it for others. No doubt harsh but not all the unreasonable.

On a number of levels, it would be illogical and inconsistent to take further enforcement action going backward.

That’s what worries me.
Yes. Essentially it's guaranteed to happen.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

was KU really not forthcoming about everything last season?

at least everything we knew about short of an FBI trial. It's not like we have subpoena power.

Maybe I'm being a homer but I just find it difficult to believe we would get shady and cut corners with a guy we wanted on campus precisely because we were so cautiously self-reporting and withholding another guy in the first place.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

LOL stick your head back in the sand.

Self and Gassnola are good friends. Gassnola sat with Self and his family at Self's HOF induction. Gassnola purposely "couldn't remember" numerous things during the trial to protect Self. Gassnola was 1 of Self's lead recruiters and many of us know that and are willing to accept it. I personally don't think it's wrong for these players to get "improper benefits" to attend Kansas.

You know what Self should have done if he was more concerned about SDS than he was himself.....he'd have said "I knew this was going on, but SDS didn't. Punish me and not him."

Even though I'd guess SDS did know what's going on because JFC this shit is widespread and not uncommon at all. It's basketball culture. The NBA players have come out and said plenty to let everyone know this has been happening for decades at nearly every power 5 program.

Seen Self bash Gassnola anywhere and call him a slime ball for doing all this "terrible" stuff? Ya me neither.

Dumb rules. Nobody follows them. Doesn't change the fact that we got caught and now we've got to pay the price.