Sparko
Contributor

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by Sparko »

Dunning and Kruger over-achieved.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

This has not been a “basketball” board for some time now.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:46 pm This has not been a “basketball” board for some time now.
And?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:46 pm This has not been a “basketball” board for some time now.
Let me help.

Under “Quick links” above, there is a link to “Board index”. There’s cute little house next to that link, look for that house.

The basketball board can then be found at the link that says “Basketball”. You will know you are in the right place because people are talking about basketball there.

This is the Politics (ugh) board.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

(There are some stunning charts included in this WSJ, Apple News article, that are reason for hope.)

Costs for renewables has plummeted and growth has exceeded expectations.

There is no shortage of bad green-energy news. Automakers are fretting about electric-vehicle growth, higher interest rates are smashing financial plans, permitting for big projects still takes forever and offshore wind is a mess.

But for every setback, there is a Sun Streams. This cluster of solar farms will cover more than 13 square miles of desert west of Phoenix. By 2025, it will provide enough electricity for roughly 300,000 homes, bringing Arizona’s largest utility closer to its goal of a zero-carbon grid.

The scale of the development, mostly owned by renewables company Longroad Energy, is part of a staggering surge in renewable energy. Driven by falling costs and better technology, growth in renewables has consistently exceeded expectations.

The big annual United Nations climate summit starts later this week in Dubai. What has become clear after years of talking is that few countries or businesses or people are willing to sacrifice much to limit climate change. The explosion of clean energy offers hope for cutting fossil-fuel use.

“We are coming short on many dimensions, and we have an enormous amount of work to do,” said Rich Lesser, global chair of Boston Consulting Group. “But, equally important, our ability to make progress on the technology side has dramatically exceeded our expectations.”

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

This my friends and enemies is one major reason why Uncle Joey is doomed.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/26/business ... index.html
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://x.com/carlbeijer/status/1728930 ... 8ZiR9WCcTg

If leftists say that they won't vote for Biden unless he wears a stupid top hat during his second term, he should just do it for the sake of beating Trump.

Leftists don't need to justify the ask - liberals need to explain why it'd be better for Trump to win than wear the hat.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:51 am This my friends and enemies is one major reason why Uncle Joey is doomed.

"Some experts think"... meanwhile, people just spent a metric fuck ton over the weekend. I am trying to find a report here at work that breaks out the totals of exactly what we processed but it was massive. Spending sure as shit hasn't slowed down yet.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Feel free to add more content to the basketball board if there are unique conversations that you wish to have. It's always nice to have a different angle to chat over regarding KU hoops and college hoops in general. The issue there is that when everyone agrees with a point, it tends to lead to the conversation coming to an end rather quickly as really, what more is there to say... But hey, if you've got something you'd rather talk about then fire up a new thread.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

twocoach wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:07 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:51 am This my friends and enemies is one major reason why Uncle Joey is doomed.

"Some experts think"... meanwhile, people just spent a metric fuck ton over the weekend. I am trying to find a report here at work that breaks out the totals of exactly what we processed but it was massive. Spending sure as shit hasn't slowed down yet.
Yep, I am seeing several reports that say Black Friday spending was up considerably from last year.
The big question is, in the long run is that a good or bad thing? Of course I am hoping good (for my sake and the good of the country) but time will tell.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:07 am

It's really not so different, in my opinion, from the age stuff. It's nearly impossible to find major media outlets reporting on economic news WITHOUT negative side-swipes. Of course it's not the media's job to sugar-coat things...but is it any wonder why popular perception of economic news lags the substance of the news itself?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The pessimism isn't limited only to the low and middle-income:

Bob Pisani, one of the talking heads at CNBC was on a little bit ago lamenting the negative attitudes at the expen$ive resort he and his wife went to in Antigua over the holiday. It was packed with wealthy Europeans, Canadians, and Americans, all in their "woe is me" state of mind.

"I have never seen such a disparity between what people were doing, spending ridiculous amounts of money, the place was packed, and what they were saying, while spending ridiculous amounts of money." He pointed out to them that, interest rates are going down which is good for consumers, and:

For the S&P 500:

-Year go date up 19%
-Month to date up 8.5%
-Biggest monthly gain since July 2022
-Fourth best month of the last 12 years

And, historically, for reference, being broadly invested in the S&P 500:

-Up 20% or more 36% of the time
-Up 10%-20% 21% of the time
-Up 0%-10% 15% of the time
Down 0%-10% 15% of the time
Down 10%+ 12% of the time

So, 73% of the time the S&P is up, and down only 27% of the time.

Your results may differ...
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:11 am The pessimism isn't limited only to the low and middle-income:

Bob Pisani, one of the talking heads at CNBC was on a little bit ago lamenting the negative attitudes at the expen$ive resort he and his wife went to in Antigua over the holiday. It was packed with wealthy Europeans, Canadians, and Americans, all in their "woe is me" state of mind.

"I have never seen such a disparity between what people were doing, spending ridiculous amounts of money, the place was packed, and what they were saying, while spending ridiculous amounts of money." He pointed out to them that, interest rates are going down which is good for consumers, and:

For the S&P 500:

-Year go date up 19%
-Month to date up 8.5%
-Biggest monthly gain since July 2022
-Fourth best month of the last 12 years

And, historically, for reference, being broadly invested in the S&P 500:

-Up 20% or more 36% of the time
-Up 10%-20% 21% of the time
-Up 0%-10% 15% of the time
Down 0%-10% 15% of the time
Down 10%+ 12% of the time

So, 73% of the time the S&P is up, and down only 27% of the time.

Your results may differ...
There's quite a menu to choose from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The military wants the soldiers back that Biden kicked out for refusing the covid vaccine. The military no longer requires the vaccine (never should have for obvious reasons)

And the biden administration is being sued for billions for lost wages by those soldiers that were wrongfully dismissed

Looks like randy was right again
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

"Only" a million US citizens died of/with Covid and randy is back on here with his victory lap, self praising, I told you Covid was really no big deal, bullshit. Good for him.
Bad for us.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:42 am "Only" a million US citizens died of/with Covid and randy is back on here with his victory lap, self praising, I told you Covid was really no big deal, bullshit. Good for him.
Bad for us.
Some people say Randy doesn't know what he's talking about, and embarrasses himself nearly every time he opens his mouth.

It's painful to watch.
Last edited by Shirley on Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

randylahey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:21 am The military wants the soldiers back that Biden kicked out for refusing the covid vaccine. The military no longer requires the vaccine (never should have for obvious reasons)

And the biden administration is being sued for billions for lost wages by those soldiers that were wrongfully dismissed

Looks like randy was right again
ignorantnarcissistsayswhat?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:42 am "Only" a million US citizens died of/with Covid and randy is back on here with his victory lap, self praising, I told you Covid was really no big deal, bullshit. Good for him.
Bad for us.
For the last time, show me the average age and body fat % of these million deaths. We all know these were not healthy people

Not to mention whatever preexisting conditions MOST of them had

It's pretty conclusive that it was a mistake to try to force a "one size fits all" approach to handling covid
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:18 am
Bad for us.
For the last time, show me the average age and body fat % of these million deaths. We all know these were not healthy people

Not to mention whatever preexisting conditions MOST of them had

It's pretty conclusive that it was a mistake to try to force a "one size fits all" approach to handling covid
A. For the last time. It wasn't only old and fat people who died. Even if it was, you come off as a complete asshole by having an oh well, they were old and fat so they should have or were going to die anyways attitude.

B. I would guess that close to half of adult Americans have KNOWN "pre-existing" conditions and more than half have UNKNOWN conditions.
As I have said too many times, those people who had "pre-existing" conditions weren't dead before they contracted Covid. Therefore, Covid most likely played a significant role in their death.

C. One thing I will agree with you on is that is was a mistake to force a one size fits all approach but I also feel it was better to be overly cautious than overly negligent - in regards to people's health.
Of course there were massive extenuating consequences but I feel a person's health and well being should always be the number 1 priority.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the world could not have phucqued up the response to the china fungus any worse than it did. one of the greatest clusterphucques of all time.