We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
randylahey

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by randylahey »

Abortion should be rare but possible. These people are taking this culture war tooo far
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

In today's edition of you can't make this shit up....

I present to you the piece of shit Gregg Abott.

https://twitter.com/cespina1998/status/ ... 8168159233

P.S. Mayor Lightfoot of Chicago sent him a letter begging him to stop sending Migrants to Chicago.
They both suck regarding the issue.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

An attack on Tucker Carlson is an attack on God!

Sportswriter-turned-grifter Jason Whitlock is in utter shambles after finding out that Fox News fired his best friend Tucker Carlson

https://youtu.be/-XpfwqQKpp0
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Feral wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:31 pm An attack on Tucker Carlson is an attack on God!

Sportswriter-turned-grifter Jason Whitlock is in utter shambles after finding out that Fox News fired his best friend Tucker Carlson

https://youtu.be/-XpfwqQKpp0
I posted that video last Tuesday and these were my exact words....
"Seriously, what the fuck happened to Whitlock"?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Good example of a more generalized phenomenon.

Opinion - How DeSantis accidentally handed Disney a potent weapon against him

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... rump-2024/
When the Walt Disney Co. went looking for evidence to feature in its new lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, its lawyers found much of what they needed in DeSantis’s own recently published memoir.

Buried in Disney’s complaint against DeSantis is something surprising. Numerous quotes taken from “The Courage to be Free” appear to support the company’s central allegation: that the Republican governor improperly wielded state power to punish Disney’s speech criticizing his policies, violating the First Amendment.

Memoirs by presidential aspirants often lay out a blueprint for their coming candidacies. DeSantis’s does, too. It boasts extensively about his war on Disney to advertise how he would marshal the powers of the presidency against so-called woke elites.

Disney’s lawsuit cites exactly these passages. DeSantis — who signed a law taking control of Disney’s special self-governing district, and moved to nullify the company’s efforts to work around it — repeatedly flaunts the truth: These were retaliation against Disney for opposing his “don’t say gay” law limiting classroom discussion of sex and gender.

* DeSantis’s book brags about his rapid mobilization of the state legislature to target Disney’s tax district. The same passage declares that this happened because of the company’s “support of indoctrinating young schoolchildren in woke gender identity politics.” That admits to retribution against speech opposing his legislation.

* The book rips Disney for vowing to work to repeal the governor’s law, describing this as “a frontal assault” on it. That, too, is a description of political speech. Yet the book menacingly declares that, after this, “things got worse for Disney,” and that it would “soon find out” the truth about Florida’s war with Disney, i.e., the state would punish that speech.

* The book describes DeSantis’s discussions with Republicans in the Florida legislature about whether they were prepared to tackle the “thorny issue involving the state’s most powerful company.” That confirms Disney was the unique target of legislative action.

* In a companion to the book’s launch, DeSantis wrote a Wall Street Journal op-ed that explicitly discussed governmental actions against Disney as an effort to “fight back” against its “woke ideology,” which is to say, its political speech.

[...]

DeSantis and his advisers had good reason to calculate that boasting about his war on “woke Disney” would be a winner. Only a year ago this did look like formidable politics. But since then, a string of DeSantis’s staged uses of state power against assorted woke and liberal enemies have flopped.

The governor chartered planes to transport unsuspecting migrants from Texas to liberal Martha’s Vineyard. But investigative reporting revealed the scheme as almost a political version of an opera buffa, and he hasn’t chartered another one since.

Meanwhile, as The Post reports, the voter fraud police that DeSantis created to great fanfare have struggled to find anything real. Their targets have suffered serious life consequences, mainly demonstrating arbitrary cruelty.

All of this shows how hollow these right-wing theatrical exercises have become. When you start with the thrills you hope to inspire in the Fox News audience and build policy around that, the results tend to collapse once the lack of a real policy rationale becomes widely understood. If quotes from DeSantis’s own memoir lead to another such implosion, it would represent a spectacular and richly deserved form of political justice.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

DeSantis and his Ivy-League self owning education.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i mean, California alone is the WORLD’s 5th largest econ…

never mind
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:23 pm i mean, California alone is the WORLD’s 5th largest econ…

never mind
This sort of shit (the secessionist and anti- shit, not you)…because what we have going for us IS our diversity. Of people’s backgrounds and ideologies, yes, but also of geography and resources and so on. The notion of separating things out over ideological differences would seem to be the ultimate self-own.

(And yes, the New Confederacy would lose out, MORE, were this to happen. But we’d all lose.)
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

They love them some Putin. And it's been Vlad's wet dream for years.

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/texas ... 25166a730/
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:29 am Good example of a more generalized phenomenon.

When the Walt Disney Co. went looking for evidence to feature in its new lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, its lawyers found much of what they needed in DeSantis’s own recently published memoir...

All of this shows how hollow these right-wing theatrical exercises have become. When you start with the thrills you hope to inspire in the Fox News audience and build policy around that, the results tend to collapse once the lack of a real policy rationale becomes widely understood. If quotes from DeSantis’s own memoir lead to another such implosion, it would represent a spectacular and richly deserved form of political justice.
It's hard to imagine that someone who graduated from Harvard Law school would demonstrate such ignorance, as to spell his personal enmity out for a particular co. like DeFascist did in his book, no matter how insanely driven he is to own the libs in a craven attempt to gain the power to advance his scheme on a nationwide basis as president.

It's truly hard to believe. I find myself shaking my head every time I read or hear yet another update about how lame his effort is.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:01 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:29 am Good example of a more generalized phenomenon.

When the Walt Disney Co. went looking for evidence to feature in its new lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, its lawyers found much of what they needed in DeSantis’s own recently published memoir...

It's hard to imagine that someone who graduated from Harvard Law school would demonstrate such ignorance, as to spell his personal enmity out for a particular co. like DeFascist did in his book, no matter how insanely driven he is to own the libs in a craven attempt to gain the power to advance his scheme on a nationwide basis as president.

It's truly hard to believe. I find myself shaking my head every time I read or hear yet another update about how lame his effort is.
I think it definitely illustrates that there's not necessarily anything magical about the brand name on a degree.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:42 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:23 pm i mean, California alone is the WORLD’s 5th largest econ…

never mind
This sort of shit (the secessionist and anti- shit, not you)…because what we have going for us IS our diversity. Of people’s backgrounds and ideologies, yes, but also of geography and resources and so on. The notion of separating things out over ideological differences would seem to be the ultimate self-own.

(And yes, the New Confederacy would lose out, MORE, were this to happen. But we’d all lose.)
The entire idea of red state and blue state is a bullshit notion to begin with.

It's City vs Rural. In essentially every state, the cities and towns with large universities are blue and rural areas are red.

It's a lot easier to scare someone from a small town into thinking that the groups they don't regularly encounter are a threat to the American way of life.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I posted this in another thread……the GDP ratio of Blue:Red is about 3:1.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2023/4/2 ... l-them-out

To PhD’s point: we use the distance from a major league (Big 4 Leagues) venue as a measure of blue v. red. It’s a good surrogate for urban/rural division. Rate of urbanization drops approximately in inverse proportion to the square of the distance from said venue
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:32 pm I posted this in another thread……the GDP ratio of Blue:Red is about 3:1.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2023/4/2 ... l-them-out

To PhD’s point: we use the distance from a major league (Big 4 Leagues) venue as a measure of blue v. red. It’s a good surrogate for urban/rural division. Rate of urbanization drops approximately in inverse proportion to the square of the distance from said venue
No one told me there was going to be math in the politics forum.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Friend,

I had an incredible time at the NRA Convention on Friday, speaking to a room packed with patriots who want one very simple thing… to be FREE.

The Left wants to take away your guns while throwing open the jailhouse doors and releasing blood-thirsty criminals into your communities.

They want to abolish your borders and impoverish your families while spending your money on endless and very, very stupid foreign wars.

They want to demonize patriots and persecute Christians while pushing the transgender cult on your children.

But with your support, I promise to lead the great rebirth of American freedom.

We will build a future where we are free of violence, free of crime, and free of fear.

When I am back in the White House, rogue federal agencies and Soros-funded DAs will no longer be allowed to treat honest, law-abiding Americans as second-class citizens.

When I am back in the White House, you will remember the glory days when America was a FREE, SAFE, PROSPEROUS, and GREAT NATION!

holy shit…randy IS the donald

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The chaos and death was just Trump being free.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Miami Heat legend Dwayne Wade annoucned in an interview with Rachel Nichols of Showtime Basketball that he and his family no longer live in Florida due to the state's newest discriminatory laws.

https://youtu.be/Q9fQEe164So
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Feral wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:44 pm Miami Heat legend Dwayne Wade annoucned in an interview with Rachel Nichols of Showtime Basketball that he and his family no longer live in Florida due to the state's newest discriminatory laws.

Hes going to have limited options where to move. A lot of states or moving to ban child abuse. Im sure California will always be there tho
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:44 pm Miami Heat legend Dwayne Wade annoucned in an interview with Rachel Nichols of Showtime Basketball that he and his family no longer live in Florida due to the state's newest discriminatory laws.

Colorado is a great place for people who want to be free from the fever wet dreams of the Christofascists. We could use another shooting guard on our church rec league team also.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.