KU's DeSousa SHOULD be ruled eligible but the NCAA blows....

Kansas Basketball.
Geezer

Re: KU's DeSousa SHOULD be ruled eligible but the NCAA blows....

Post by Geezer »

Gassnola was 1 of Self's lead recruiters and many of us know that and are willing to accept it.

JFC
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's illy!
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Like I said. Stick your heads back in the sand.

"It's Kansas and then everybody else."
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I prefer sand to up my ass.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 am was KU really not forthcoming about everything last season?

at least everything we knew about short of an FBI trial. It's not like we have subpoena power.

Maybe I'm being a homer but I just find it difficult to believe we would get shady and cut corners with a guy we wanted on campus precisely because we were so cautiously self-reporting and withholding another guy in the first place.
Me too, but all bets are off right now on how the NCAA will act. They've shredded the playbook and publicly stated that no amount of self-reporting or good faith or lack of knowledge matters.

I think it would be outrageous for the NCAA to punish KU for playing Silvio last year - after he was cleared! - absent some wrongdoing by KU in the eligibility process.

But what the NCAA did to Mizzou and Silvio last week was perhaps even worse than that, so who the hell knows.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If precedent says anything, this is the Darnell Jackson situation again. Suspension but no sanctions. Jackson's impermissibles also came from a "KU Booster."

But, again, NCAA.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I have maybe a stupid question ( fire away PhD ), that I wonder if it has been answered, if DeSousa hypothetically practices with us and stays on scholly for the next 1.5 years, how many years left of eligibility would he have remaining?

And if Udoka and Dedric don't come back, are our bigs down to McCormack and Lightfoot?
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

illy you have missed the point, again...Kansas isn't paying price has much as SDS. The NCAA doesn't have the balls to go after Kansas or Self so they are picking on a 19-year old. If you want to throw Self under the bus, go ahead...but quit apologizing for the NCAA. This isn't the price of doing business. Ruining a 19-year's career because they can makes the NCAA evil. The NCAA need to be called out for doing it.
Last edited by Lonestarjayhawk on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 am I have maybe a stupid question ( fire away PhD ), that I wonder if it has been answered, if DeSousa hypothetically practices with us and stays on scholly for the next 1.5 years, how many years left of eligibility would he have remaining?

And if Udoka and Dedric don't come back, are our bigs down to McCormack and Lightfoot?
My understanding is the suspension uses up eligibility, so he'd only have 1 year left. Which makes the suspension that much more severe.

This is why the Hurt recruitment is soooo important.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:12 am But that is the point...Kansas isn't paying price has much as SDS. The NCAA doesn't have the balls to go after Kansas or Self so they are picking on a 19-year old. If you want to throw Self under the bus, go ahead...but quit apologizing for the NCAA. This isn't the price of doing business. Ruining a 19-year's career because they can makes the NCAA evil. The NCAA need to be called out for doing it.
It's also stupid of the ncaa to do because it was a self-reported violation. No one's going to self-report a goddam thing ever again...so more cover ups, more denials, etc.

It's like telling your child you won't get in trouble if you tell me the truth...you'll get in more trouble if you're caught lying. Then the kid confesses and you beat the shit out of him. No incentive to self report anything.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:12 am But that is the point...Kansas isn't paying price has much as SDS. The NCAA doesn't have the balls to go after Kansas or Self so they are picking on a 19-year old. If you want to throw Self under the bus, go ahead...but quit apologizing for the NCAA. This isn't the price of doing business. Ruining a 19-year's career because they can makes the NCAA evil. The NCAA need to be called out for doing it.
And they have been.

But remember that you're also seeing a lot of crocodile tears. All the NCAA is is a trade organization comprising its member institutions. All of this could be changed by the very schools that "the NCAA" regulates.

We also shouldn't give Bill a pass. This bothers me:
I certainly heard of a lot worse things [than Silvio's case] that have transpired — not just in our sport — but in college athletics in general. To punish this kid in this way is 100 percent wrong. Of course, my opinion doesn’t matter obviously, but it’s time for me to start stating it, because I’ve been told I couldn’t up until this point.
This is weapons-grade horseshit. Bill's opinion is one of about five that actually do matter (with K, Cal, Wright and Izzo).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 am I have maybe a stupid question ( fire away PhD ), that I wonder if it has been answered, if DeSousa hypothetically practices with us and stays on scholly for the next 1.5 years, how many years left of eligibility would he have remaining?

My understanding is the suspension uses up eligibility, so he'd only have 1 year left. Which makes the suspension that much more severe.

He can't use a redshirt? Gawd, those NCAA lawyers are Genieyusses.

What mission are we serving again? At least with Ben/Traylor, the RS was rightfully available.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:19 am

What mission are we serving again? At least with Ben/Traylor, the RS was rightfully available.
I read that in one of the articles I read when this happened. It's entirely possible that they're totally full of shit, or weren't considering a RS...but that's how I interpreted it.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:23 am

I read that in one of the articles I read when this happened. It's entirely possible that they're totally full of shit, or weren't considering a RS...but that's how I interpreted it.
I mean, I get that it's interesting to talk about, but does it matter? I don't think it would play into Silvio's math.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:25 am

I mean, I get that it's interesting to talk about, but does it matter? I don't think it would play into Silvio's math.
Well, for sure it wasn't in his math when he arrived in Lawrence.

But unless he wants to play in Europe...which is honestly probably his best option...this setback could make him change his math.

It wouldn't be the first time a guy expecting to leave school after a year or two ended up playing as a senior...it would probably be the first time that happened because of a two-year suspension though.

At his age, I think it's really unlikely he'd benefit, in terms of a pro career, from playing as a RS Sr.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:30 am

But unless he wants to play in Europe...which is honestly probably his best option...this setback could make him change his math.

It wouldn't be the first time a guy expecting to leave school after a year or two ended up playing as a senior...it would probably be the first time that happened because of a two-year suspension though.

At his age, I think it's really unlikely he'd benefit, in terms of a pro career, from playing as a RS Sr.
It's in his best interest to go play somewhere - anywhere - as soon as possible. Maybe he'd have stuck around to play next year, but certainly not 2020-21.

Because also: what if there's a McDonald's receipt he didn't turn in?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yep, agree with PhD. I think Silvio is very talented, talented enough for the NBA. For sure wouldn't think that he'd stay here 5 years and still don't. But, the situation is just so dramatically different now. It would be nice for him to at least have that option of playing two more seasons at KU. Especially if the NCAA somehow pulled yet another wacko move and reduced his suspension to 1 season or 1.5 seasons. Or if he blows his ACL tomorrow.

I just hate that he rushed over here from Angola to make the NBA and because of a lot of fucked up parties, he's jumping right back on a plane across the Atlantic.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:32 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:30 am

It's in his best interest to go play somewhere - anywhere - as soon as possible. Maybe he'd have stuck around to play next year, but certainly not 2020-21.

Because also: what if there's a McDonald's receipt he didn't turn in?
My advice to him would be to leave today.

If he decided to stay around hoping for an appeal, and then ended up sticking out the suspension for some strange reason. Which I don't think would happen and would hope for his sake he doesn't do.

But under that <1% chance thing happening...his playing here in 2020-21...it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted that extra year of eligibility if his 20-21 campaign was less than stellar.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 am Yep, agree with PhD. I think Silvio is very talented, talented enough for the NBA. For sure wouldn't think that he'd stay here 5 years and still don't. But, the situation is just so dramatically different now. It would be nice for him to at least have that option of playing two more seasons at KU. Especially if the NCAA somehow pulled yet another wacko move and reduced his suspension to 1 season or 1.5 seasons. Or if he blows his ACL tomorrow.

I just hate that he rushed over here from Angola to make the NBA and because of a lot of fucked up parties, he's jumping right back on a plane across the Atlantic.
Not to mention the very uncomfortable thought of what if we hadn't pressed his case because of Billy?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Right. Silvio would have played 0 minutes for an NCAA team if KU did not have the Billy drama.

Also, I was speaking more to the principle of the rule, rather than how it personally affects Silvio. It's saying one thing and doing the opposite.