2023/2024 NCAA Season

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2023/2024 NCAA Season

Post by KUTradition »

KU with the worst loss (huggy-less wvu) of the bunch
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:25 am KU with the worst loss (huggy-less wvu) of the bunch

WVU kenpom #135
Georgia Tech #125

Edit: actually Oregon State is kenpom #160
Last edited by DeletedUser on Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Zona beat Michigan State, Alabama and Colorado.
If you include Oklahoma as a good win you should include Colorado.

Houston beat Texas Tech and Texas.
Same deal w Oklahoma.

UNC beat Wake Forest.
Same deal w Oklahoma.

Tennessee beat Florida.
Same deal w Oklahoma.

Bama beat Indiana State and Mississippi State.
Same deal w Oklahoma.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:30 am Zona beat Michigan State, Alabama and Colorado.
If you include Oklahoma as a good win you should include Colorado.

Houston beat Texas Tech and Texas.
Same deal w Oklahoma.

UNC beat Wake Forest.
Same deal w Oklahoma.

Tennessee beat Florida.
Same deal w Oklahoma.

Bama beat Indiana State and Mississippi State.
Same deal w Oklahoma.
Thanks. I did that as fast as I could. Figured I missed a few.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

My thoughts based on the top "contenders" results so far with good wins and bad losses....

UConn and Purdue are the two best teams. Then there is a gap. Between 3 through 7-10

Of the next gap, Houston seems the best suited to avoid an early round upset because of their defensive ability and consistency....but they also seem the least capable (of the top 5 or so) of beating the other top teams.

UConn Purdue and Kansas are the most suited to be able to beat multiple really good teams in a row (in my opinion). Kansas gets a boost from having Bill Self coaching.

Kansas Arizona and UNC are the most prone of the top handful of teams to bad upsets it appears, championship experience (DH/Kj), and highest scoring duo (KM/HD).

Auburn would be at the bottom of the list for me, but Bruce Pearl is an experienced coach and they "look" like they are capable of a Final Four run with the right draws/breaks. Tennessee has played an insane schedule so they are game tested for sure.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Purdue, on paper, has the best resume and odds.
Not sure if I'm sold on Painter in the tournament.
It's why I like UConn as the favorite. I think Dan Hurley is a solid coach and their numbers are down bc they've have multiple key injuries this season.

UNC has one of the better defensive teams they've had in a while and I think Elliot Cadeau is their wild card freshman who, like our Furphy, is fairly key. They also have roster consistency.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:43 am Purdue, on paper, has the best resume and odds.
It's why I like UConn as the favorite. I think Dan Hurley is a solid coach and their numbers are down bc they've have multiple key injuries this season.

UNC has one of the better defensive teams they've had in a while and I think Elliot Cadeau is their wild card freshman who, like our Furphy, is fairly key. They also have roster consistency.
Agree.

I wonder how the pressure of repeating will impact UConn once they get in the spotlight come tournament time. Hurley is a really good coach, and their roster is really good, but back to back is so rare.

I think these regions are going to be mass chaos. I think the breaks in the region with upsets will play as big or maybe even bigger a role than the actual seeds themselves for seeds 1-4. You can get some squirrelly scenarios where suddenly a 4 seed has a much easier path than 2s and 3s.

If it's not us I am not sure who I will pull for. My gut says Houston to boost our conference or maybe UNC because I like Hubert Davis.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

If Kansas makes it to the elite eight we have as good a chance as any to bring it home.

Problem being, I feel like this team stumbles, plays down to the competition and has a wtf game against St. John's or Mississipi St or something stupid in round 2.

This teams seems to get up for important games though, the struggle seems to be in the slog of the conference, where there isn't an immediate penalty for a loss. That gives me hope.

MoneyBags played better last night than he has in these dont care games...that also gives me some glimmer of hope.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

DH also played really well last night. Especially in the 2nd half.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Harris did play well.
I wouldn't say really well as I don't know if any of our players did that ( not even Hunter who had 21 and 12 but took ill advised threes and got lost on help defense several times in the last minutes ).

Look to Kevin 1st ( sorry Kevin it's unfair but you're our leader - shitty shooting from everywhere, chance to tie the game but missed the FT, unforced turnover in the last 2 minutes of the game ), our bench a close 2nd ( 2 fucking points ) and Furphy 3rd ( 0-4 from 3, burnt like setting 10 toast on box outs and defense often ) for the reasons we lost.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Harris qas probably.our best player last night
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i said early in the game thread that it looked like KM was pressing, and trying too hard

one can be aggressive while still working within the flow of the game and letting it come to you
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:12 am If Kansas makes it to the elite eight we have as good a chance as any to bring it home.

Problem being, I feel like this team stumbles, plays down to the competition and has a wtf game against St. John's or Mississipi St or something stupid in round 2.

This teams seems to get up for important games though, the struggle seems to be in the slog of the conference, where there isn't an immediate penalty for a loss. That gives me hope.

MoneyBags played better last night than he has in these dont care games...that also gives me some glimmer of hope.
It's yet another season where I feel that if they advance out of the first weekend, I'll be happy and anything more than that is a bonus. This roster has issues and isn't dominant to the point where anyone should expect a Final Four run.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

told my wife this morning that the inconsistency has me preparing for a first weekend “upset”

hope for the best, plan for the worst
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:52 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:43 am Purdue, on paper, has the best resume and odds.

Agree.

I wonder how the pressure of repeating will impact UConn once they get in the spotlight come tournament time. Hurley is a really good coach, and their roster is really good, but back to back is so rare.

I think these regions are going to be mass chaos. I think the breaks in the region with upsets will play as big or maybe even bigger a role than the actual seeds themselves for seeds 1-4. You can get some squirrelly scenarios where suddenly a 4 seed has a much easier path than 2s and 3s.

If it's not us I am not sure who I will pull for. My gut says Houston to boost our conference or maybe UNC because I like Hubert Davis.
Yeah, feels like a 4th straight season where at least 6 of the teams seeded 1-4 fail to make the Sweet Sixteen.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if KU isn’t winning it all, i’ll always root against other blue bloods or programs with multiple titles
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

UNC in trouble late at home against Clemson.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

UNC about to go down to Clemson at home.

It's a weird, wide open year.

If Gonzaga didn't suck I'd say this year was built for them to finally do it. Thankfully, they're terrible and might jot male the tourney.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:02 pm UNC about to go down to Clemson at home.

If Gonzaga didn't suck I'd say this year was built for them to finally do it. Thankfully, they're terrible and might jot male the tourney.
Feels very UConny this year. They seem to get them in bunches despite having some really down years historically.

Hurley will have them a yearly contender for the foreseeable future it appears.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:05 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:02 pm UNC about to go down to Clemson at home.

Feels very UConny this year. They seem to get them in bunches despite having some really down years historically.

Hurley will have them a yearly contender for the foreseeable future it appears.
ugh I certainly hope not. I can't stomach another round of "are they a blue blood now?"
Just Ledoux it