F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:32 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:36 am “Corruption cases?”
Whoever signed Zion was going to be put under an intense microscope for corrupt practices given what the NCAA learned. And then there is KU.
Right. Calling them “corruption cases,” though, annihilates even the appearance of objectivity.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Corrupt media gonna corrupt.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Eh.
I hate Forde but i'll put on my Illy hat and say, it kinda is a corruption case, if looking at the NCAA in a vacuum.

"dishonest or illegal behavior especially by powerful people"
"dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:38 pm Eh.
I hate Forde but i'll put on my Illy hat and say, it kinda is a corruption case, if looking at the NCAA in a vacuum.

"dishonest or illegal behavior especially by powerful people"
"dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery."
But this is the point. There was (is) “corruption,” no doubt. But the way it’s presented here, it would be like (if you’re a Sopranos fan), saying that Ramsey Sports and Outdoors was the subject of a “corruption case.” It’s not WRONG, but it’s also not 100% RIGHT.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The NCAA claims that KU operating under the shoe deal oligarchs who controlled the NCAA made an impermissible monerary offer thru their controlling oligarchs that was bested by an even better oligarch deal held harmless by the NCAA.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Billy Preston speaks (behind the KC Star paywall)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:09 pm Billy Preston speaks (behind the KC Star paywall)
Former KU forward Billy Preston alleges Jayhawk coaches knew about payments from Adidas

April 20, 2023 09:21 AM

Former Kansas men’s basketball forward Billy Preston, who never played in a regular-season game with the Jayhawks due to an ongoing NCAA investigation into his eligibility, said he believes KU staff had knowledge of payments made by Adidas representatives to Preston’s mother, Nicole Player.

Preston’s comments came on an ESPN 30 for 30 podcast titled Bag Game. It delves into Preston’s story as a top high school basketball player, his commitment to KU and the discovery of payments made by Adidas representatives to Player that ultimately kept Preston from playing for the Jayhawks.

The Star contacted Kansas Athletics on Wednesday evening regarding several topics that Preston discussed with ESPN. KU Athletics declined to comment, citing the ongoing NCAA investigation. KU coach Bill Self also declined comment.
Preston’s comments date to his recruitment to KU, which coincided with the FBI’s investigation into college basketball corruption. During a 2018 trial surrounding that investigation, former Adidas associate T.J. Gassnola testified he paid Preston’s family $89,000. Preston’s mother disputed that number on the podcast, saying she was only paid around half that.

Gassnola also testified those payments were made without knowledge of the KU coaches, and that he aimed to conceal them from the coaches.

The trial concluded in 2018, finding Adidas executive James Gatto, former Adidas consultant Merl Code and former sports agent Christian Dawkins guilty of seven counts of wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

“The jury determined beyond a reasonable doubt that Gassnola’s and Gatto’s payments and promised payments were concealed from the University and that the University was a victim of Gassnola’s and Gatto’s crimes,” read part of KU’s response to the amended notice of allegations it received from the NCAA, released on March 5, 2020.

Preston and Player disagreed with that language, specifically taking exception to the word “victim.”

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

We all knew the truth about how all this stuff went down, but I don't understand why Billy Preston has an axe to grind with KU.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:04 am We all knew the truth about how all this stuff went down, but I don't understand why Billy Preston has an axe to grind with KU.
because we held him out.

he watched Ayton and Zion..and everyone else play and then get drafted...he got held out and never got his (in his eyes) opportunity to get drafted and make his money
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

If the coaches already knew, why did they hold him out?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Mjl wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:25 am If the coaches already knew, why did they hold him out?
My guess is because between the coaches, our compliance department, and Gassnola, there were 3 separate facets that managed to try and cover up - and fucked up - and didn't know what to do and not do.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

So, ah, what about those coaches, who are making multiples of what the players are getting?

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/statu ... q_-8Yt1KMA
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:45 pm So, ah, what about those coaches, who are making multiples of what the players are getting?
that's your takeaway from that? hm.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and the way he insinuates that "bad actors out there always trying to make a dollar" is somehow some argument against legitimizing the market
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and the "life changing money," holy shit.

and...holy shit, there's just a lot of shit to unpack there!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

So - what are the arguments against this? Injury, I guess? But these guys are playing basketball regardless, would seem to be better for it to be overseen and structured?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the majority of men and women bballers are in favor, so i doubt injury risk is all that legit of a reason
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:12 pm So - what are the arguments against this? Injury, I guess? But these guys are playing basketball regardless, would seem to be better for it to be overseen and structured?
The arguments from coaches? Making the season too long and having guys burnt out by the time the tourney gets here, injuries and then guys realizing they are behind others in the depth chart and transferring right before the season starts.