F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: F the NCAA

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, cuz before NIL, “pay for play” never created a single issue for our coaches, not once, not even in this thread…we good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The speed limit on my street is 25. It doesn't need to be 25, to me it's more a 35 mph street, it's open enough and not congested. I go over the speed limit on the street. Some people go way over the speed limit. I wouldn't want them to just say, well, fuck it, people are going over the speed limit, let's make this road 80 mph.

They made the road 80 mph.
Coaches ( and fans ) are seeing the issues as a result.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i remember when collegiate athletics was awesome.

if you were born after a certain date you have no experience with awesome collegiate athletics.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:08 pm i remember when collegiate athletics was awesome.

if you were born after a certain date you have no experience with awesome collegiate athletics.
The only time they aren't awesome is during the offseason when all the grumpy old farts whine about the good old days.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:57 pm The speed limit on my street is 25. It doesn't need to be 25, to me it's more a 35 mph street, it's open enough and not congested. I go over the speed limit on the street. Some people go way over the speed limit. I wouldn't want them to just say, well, fuck it, people are going over the speed limit, let's make this road 80 mph.

They made the road 80 mph.
Coaches ( and fans ) are seeing the issues as a result.
For this analogy to work, it would have to be something more like, people go all sorts of speeds on a street but the NCAA says no one should be driving on the street at all even tho they know everyone drives on streets anyway, and selectively enforcing a directional state school going 35 while looking the other way when dook goes 80.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No.
You just failed to grasp the analogy.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I think they stopped patrolling the street, for the most part. Doesn’t matter if there is a posted limit of 25, 35,80, or no posted limit at all.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sure.
That works too.
But they put up a sign that said 80 ( i.e. hey this is how NIL is supposed to work! ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:00 pm No.
You just failed to grasp the analogy.
No.

You analogy was just never good in the first place, since it supposes an established limit to a certain activity, rather than a complete prohibition, which was the case pre-NIL.

It’s never been like ncaa says “oh student athletes can be compensated to a certain amount but no more than that,” so let’s not pretend the issue was going 35 (or 80) in a 25
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes the NCAA had rules about what a student athlete could and not get along with a scholarship before NIL.

The speed limit represents maximum benefits.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh yea.

LOL.

I forgot how dumb this argument is.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Many of us predicted years ago that we would get to today's NCAA. Which is a fucking disaster and I feel beyond repair. Between getting players becoming even scummier and the conference changes/realignments, it's JUNK! Football more so than Basketball but definitely Basketball as well.
Meanwhile, of course the NCAA is PARTIALLY to blame but I don't feel is totally to blame.
The U.S. legal system and the individual conferences and the "institutions" in them helped get us where we are today.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:15 am Many of us predicted years ago that we would get to today's NCAA. Which is a fucking disaster and I feel beyond repair. Between getting players becoming even scummier and the conference changes/realignments, it's JUNK! Football more so than Basketball but definitely Basketball as well.
Meanwhile, of course the NCAA is PARTIALLY to blame but I don't feel is totally to blame.
The U.S. legal system and the individual conferences and the "institutions" in them helped get us where we are today.
From my perspective, more than anything else it's an object example of why it's better to be proactive than reactive.

College sports has been on notice for a very long time, that massive change (in all aspects) was coming, inevitably. The various fiefdoms all put short term priorities over long term goals, so that massive change eventually, inevitably, just happened.

And here we are.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

it all sucks.
Just Ledoux it
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

Whoa, Congress is involved, hope is right around the corner. lol
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hoopla wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:45 am
Whoa, Congress is involved, hope is right around the corner. lol
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Yesterday I had a nice conversation with a female college golfer (said she's on scholarship?).
Yes, she is "good chicken" and had a great personality. Anyways.....
I asked her if/how NIL affects her.
I can't figure out what she meant when she said she could make $200 posting on social media.
Could that possibly mean PER Instagram/Tweet/whatever? Or did she mean $200 total? (for whatever period of time).
Is the moral of the story - Momma's don't let your children grow up to be Cowboys if they can be student athletes?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

watching the Johnny Manziel doc in Netflix had me wondering....for those that hold fast to the idea that most players were getting paid large sums under the table anyway etc...

if that were totally accurate....would Johnny football have risked his eligibility for $30k autograph signings?
Just Ledoux it