F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by AlOerter »

Latest article says IARP might make us vacate 15 wins Silvio played in which would put us behind Kentucky in all time wins. If that's the case they should vacate about 200 because of World Wide Wes.
https://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/henry ... rp-ruling/
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

do we lose a final four too then?
Just Ledoux it
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I would guess so if Silvio played in those games. I remember the NCAA forced us to say Adidas was a booster to make him eligible. Now they want to hold it against us. He wasn't worth the trouble we went through to get him eligible.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol

the ncaa said he was eligible, otherwise he woulda gotten the Billy Preston treatment
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno…Silvio WAS prob the difference between another final four, and watching Mitch get abused by dook’s nba farm team front court

And, about it all, it’s just ridiculous that we never played Silvio until the NCAA declared him a Certified Amateur…twice.

And yes, using “booster” language conditionally for the sake of a gotcha moment is pretty kangaroo court.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If the NCAA was impartial and fair and wasn't rolling in money and now looking at their own demise, i'd agree with the loss of wins and the loss of the Final Four.

They fucked up so bad with the UNC case.
They don't put any leg work into what was clearly going on at Kentucky and then later, Duke.
In principle, we deserve a harsh punishment - we were clearly cheating ( yes, we knew, we really did ) - but when judge and jury decides things based on popularity and whims, it's tough not to say, F the NCAA.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder if we could like counter sue the NCAA, arguing we justifiably relied on their own “certified amateur” status, and were materially harmed when it was not, in their allegations, an accurate status

I guess their argument is we knew or should have known Silvio wasn’t amateur anyway. But, again, the shoe perps testified in court that they were doing this behind our back

At some point can’t the burden be on the NCAA to make some case otherwise that’s a little stronger than, “we good?”

Or heck, maybe even some bigger picture case of fraud that the NCAA themselves knew or should have known amateurism itself is and has always been a joke, even tho amateurism is some material part of their business model that rakes in cash
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:42 pm Or heck, maybe even some bigger picture case of fraud that the NCAA themselves knew or should have known amateurism itself is and has always been a joke, even tho amateurism is some material part of their business model that rakes in cash
It hasn't always been.
Amateur sports is still something that can and does exist.
Like, it exists in reality far more than it doesn't.

But yes, the NCAA got fat and greedy.
Tends to happen.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:42 pm I wonder if we could like counter sue the NCAA, arguing we justifiably relied on their own “certified amateur” status, and were materially harmed when it was not, in their allegations, an accurate status
I was wondering about suing for damage done to the program (i.e. recruiting) during their 6 year long investigation. Maybe they should take that into consideration as far as we have been indirectly punished by them already.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:45 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:42 pm Or heck, maybe even some bigger picture case of fraud that the NCAA themselves knew or should have known amateurism itself is and has always been a joke, even tho amateurism is some material part of their business model that rakes in cash
It hasn't always been.
Amateur sports is still something that can and does exist.
Like, it exists in reality far more than it doesn't.

But yes, the NCAA got fat and greedy.
Tends to happen.
Yea.

But in most amateur sports, if the coach takes the players out for ice cream after the game, nobody makes them forfeit the game 6 years later.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You can buy a lot of ice cream for 60k.

Not to mention room, board, education, tutors, training, coaching, publicity, equipment etc.

Hell you can get as much ice cream as you want at Mrs. E’s.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

AlOerter wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:57 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:42 pm I wonder if we could like counter sue the NCAA, arguing we justifiably relied on their own “certified amateur” status, and were materially harmed when it was not, in their allegations, an accurate status
I was wondering about suing for damage done to the program (i.e. recruiting) during their 6 year long investigation. Maybe they should take that into consideration as far as we have been indirectly punished by them already.
I think part of this deferring to the IARP means that their say is final and we can't continue appeals or litigation any further
Just Ledoux it
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:31 pm
AlOerter wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:57 pm
I think part of this deferring to the IARP means that their say is final and we can't continue appeals or litigation any further
Decision can't be appealed but I don't think they are immuned to a civil suit.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, that's along the lines of what I was thinking, too.

try to claim damages resulting from the kangaroo court investigation itself, rather than just try to appeal whatever the specific ruling may be.

or, try to claim damages from reasonably relying on the NCAA's amateur certification even tho that certification was no good.

If their own clearinghouse wasn't able to uncover that Silvio got dirty money from a shoe goon, why did they expect us to? Especially when said goon testified he was doing this behind our backs.

much of the NCAA's case hinges on the idea that we knew or should have known this goon was doing this behind our backs anyway, right? And their smoking gun is a couple text messages so ambiguous that they weren't even allowed as evidence in court.

and (trying to go back to what it was like in like 2018ish) the NCAA was already on our asses, upping the heat in the wake of Cliff's mom and Diallo's 6th grade report card and shit. With that kind of scrutiny already subjected, how did Silvio get certified despite that?

I googled "Silvio De Sousa Certified Amateur" and got this gem:

https://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/jan ... oday-vs-k/

so he graduated HS in December 2017, got on campus on the 26, and still had to wait around til the middle of January and miss 4 games til he was allowed to play. the article reports he was meeting with "compliance" for 2 hours a day. I wonder if that was our own internal compliance, or the NCAA compliance.

Either way, the fact a college freshman has to do something like meet with "compliance" for 2 hours a day is in itself a testament to just how ridiculous this whole situation is.

(BTW one of the NCAA's allegations is that our coach did not "sufficiently encourage compliance"...how many more hours a day did we need?)

not to mention, the whole reason we get Silvio on campus a semester early, is cuz we already voluntarily Billy for the season after the sinister act of *checks notes* curb checking his step mom's Camaro.
Last edited by ousdahl on Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I also wonder what leverage we might get from the Zion mess. That latest article doesn't mention him.

Considering so much of the allegations against us hinge on text messages about him, and he played at Duke anyway, and subsequently his agent took him to court alleging "here's the luxury cars and mansions Zion got to play at Duke," it just seems like a clever legal team might be able to run with it.

Not me, tho. I dropped out of law school.

Maybe, like. CnB.

(RIP)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Back to Johnny Manziel documentary

another thought I had was, why does he get to keep his Heisman but Reggie Bush lost his for similar offenses?

He's on TV admitting it all and laughing about it. But not a peep from.tje Heisman people? Give Reggies back or take Manziels. Some sort of consistency or rhyme and reason would be nice.
Just Ledoux it
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

TDub wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:10 am Back to Johnny Manziel documentary

another thought I had was, why does he get to keep his Heisman but Reggie Bush lost his for similar offenses?

He's on TV admitting it all and laughing about it. But not a peep from.tje Heisman people? Give Reggies back or take Manziels. Some sort of consistency or rhyme and reason would be nice.
Watched it last night. Dude has a lot of unresolved issues that are going to continue to haunt him moving forward. Very sad.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hes a mess. such a wasted talent. He could've been damn good. All that natural talent, never worked out, studies the playbook, or trained. Nothing. He basically played football as a side gig on the weekends. Natural talent alone took him to the NFL and he threw it all away.
Just Ledoux it
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Shades of Brett Favre, only without the luck.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:04 pm You can buy a lot of ice cream for 60k.

Not to mention room, board, education, tutors, training, coaching, publicity, equipment etc.

Hell you can get as much ice cream as you want at Mrs. E’s.
Diallo was also declared eligible for his KU tenure in November 2015 following a protracted saga concerning impermissible benefits totaling $165