F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ament/amp/

Big 12, Big Ten, Big East in talks to participate in new postseason event for teams not in NCAA Tournament
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Goff made a good point on the Phog podcast. Basically NIL allows families to see games and kids to concentrate more on classes. Considering the crap show the NCAA pulled on kids like BMac, much better.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... g-unionize

here comes the "college" players association.....
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:15 am https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... g-unionize

here comes the "college" players association.....
And if so...who cares?

I'm still lost by how any of this really affects me or any of us in real life, except in that it will obviously boost the talent pool in college basketball. Which affects me, in real life, positively!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Go reread this thread and search for posts from me, PhD and TDub.
You'll see how we think it will affect us in terms of how we enjoy the sport.
Obviously it doesn't affect you -- but you included "any of us" which, well, it does affect us -- go back and review.

I don't have time at the moment to do your homework for you and just start bumping endless reasons already described in this thread.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think the biggest mis-step in why you continually stumble down hard into condescending asshole territory here is completely disregarding the point that, in a very subjective matter, some people wanted college sports to remain on the amateur level, even if it didn't mean the growth of the sport as a business.

Saying something like, "that's not a big deal for me. I don't see how it will affect how I enjoy the sport. It's going to boost the talent level and that's mostly what I care about", that's fine.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:28 pm Go reread this thread and search for posts from me, PhD and TDub.

[...]

I don't have time at the moment to do your homework for you and just start bumping endless reasons already described in this thread.
I mean, you called me a condescending asshole one post below this one.

In any case - the thread speaks for itself, and I don't need to go back and read it.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

In this case, the kids love it. So es macht nichts unsere wunschen.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:02 pm In this case, the kids love it. So es macht nichts unsere wunschen.
^^^

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we decide a long time ago that DC is the board's mayor gilipolla, y ni siquiera esta' cerca?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Sine qua non
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

re: completely disregarding things

I struggle to understand how the "purity of amateurism" crowd can still disregard all there is, and always has been, to indicate college sports has been flooded with dirty money since pretty much ever.

and re: even if it didn't mean the growth of the sport as a business - as generally as possible, I just struggle to understand how one can so vocally single out college sports as if it's thee big defining thing being ruined by money, yet remain overwhelmingly silent about the monetization of literally every single thing else in life.

I guess the key term there is, subjective. who cares about all that, as long as one can still subjectively preserve some pretense of amateurism in a ball game.

but, fuck it, I'm here for it!

while we're at it, let's also do away with the TV commercials, and the on-court corporate graphics, and the shoe brand logos on the jerseys, and the video ad banners where the players used to sit, yada yada yada, seize the means of production and establish that moneyless classless stateless society most of us are otherwise too drunk off Cold War propaganda to even consider considering!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Literal 4 year starters at Kansas said they didn’t get any money.
This has been repeated like 5 times on this thread—that I understand college has had quiet money deals under the table but it wasn’t as rampant as advocates for professional sports with their school mascot what it to be to support their “It was always happening”.

If the speed limit is 25, but arguably should be 35, and some people are going 40, you don’t say fuck it, people are already speeding, no speed limit.

So round and round and round we go.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And yes, do away with a lot of that stuff ( “while we’re at it” ) in college athletics. I’m all for it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Welcome abored, comrade.

Now, if you understand college has had quiet money deals under the table, then please understand why of course literal 4 year starters at Kansas said they didn’t get any money. That kinda comes with the territory of “quiet money deals under the table.”

Otherwise, it’d be like if you walked into the police station to admit you were one of the drivers going 40 in a 25 so please go ahead and give you that ticket now.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Guys like Scot Pollard have no reason to lie.

Id also argue guys like Mitch Lightfoot have no reason either.

Zions? Sure.
98 percent of players? Nah.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:47 pm
Sparko wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:02 pm In this case, the kids love it. So es macht nichts unsere wunschen.
^^^

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we decide a long time ago that DC is the board's mayor gilipolla, y ni siquiera esta' cerca?
Well...duh.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:55 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:47 pm
^^^

Well...duh.
I trust trashing you in Espanyol softened the blow?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:26 am Guys like Scot Pollard have no reason to lie.

Zions? Sure.
No reason? at all?

If they DID come out and say, “yea of course we were getting paid,” how would that make KU look?

What would the ncaa think?

What would you think?

How would admitting receipt of quiet money under the table make that money quiet, or under the table?

If Mitch WASN’T getting paid prior to NIL, boy did he sure jump at the chance to get paid to pimp chicken tenders like literally thee moment the Supreme Court of all entities said he was allowed to.

And for every anecdote from guys like Mitch and Scot, there are anecdotes like I’ve shared from my friend’s cousin, who played women’s ball at a directional school in the 80s, and says, “yea even we were getting paid.” Compared to that chick, Mitch might as well be Zion.

As for the Zions, he’s denied any impermissible anything. Guess we can just take his word for it too huh.

But, what ever became of that case? Didn’t a judge like 3 years ago say he was gonna have to answer questions under oath about just that?

Cuz, among other things, I’m pretty sure it’s getting to be that time when Scheyer’s finally expected to jump on that grenade, right as K retreats for his daytime slumber deep in the Carpathian Mountains.

Never mind all that tho, comrade, cuz we’ve got an even bigger revolution to instigate!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:26 am Guys like Scot Pollard have no reason to lie.

Zions? Sure.
Pollard absolutely has reasons to lie. Right Doug Compton & company - and others?
While I don't have actual proof, and he says, "Kansas is one of the few that didn’t offer me money",
I am extremely skeptical that Pollard didn't get "paid" in some manner.

I admit my ignorance, I assume he has specifically said why he chose KU over other schools that did offer him "money". I am curious as to what those reasons are. Anyone have any links?

He related the story of his sister being offered an inducement to steer him to an unnamed college during his senior year (1992-93) at Kamiakin High in Kennewick, Wash. “My sister didn’t tell me until I retired from the NBA," Pollard said. "They (unnamed representative of an unnamed school) said, ‘You’ve got a $2 million shopping limit in La Jolla (Calif.) for a house, and we’ll get you a job,’’’ Pollard related.

Pollard said his sister dismissed that offer quickly. He said he dismissed other offers as well. “Yes,” he said if he was offered incentives in recruiting. “From a different school. Kansas is one of the few that didn’t offer me money. Everybody was talking to me. Some of the offers I knew about, some I didn’t. I stayed away from them. I didn’t want to break any rules and knew I didn’t want to get any of my records stripped away as far as team records. I’m not talking personal records. I stayed away from the people who said, ‘Hey, what’s it going to take?’’’

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... rylink=cpy
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.