Shoe money trial

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by pdub »

I would be fine with this as well as long as the player wasn't getting paid ( or immediately paid ) and wasn't working with an agent during the school year.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm
Geezer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:31 pm The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)[a] is a non-profit organization which regulates athletes of 1,281 North American institutions and conferences. It also organizes the athletic programs of many colleges and universities in the United States and Canada, and helps more than 480,000 college student-athletes who compete annually in college sports. The organization is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana.

In its 2016–17 fiscal year the NCAA took in $1.06 billion in revenue, over 82% of which was generated by the Division I Men's Basketball Tournament.
What we should do is boycott the Champions Classic. Empty arena. Zero television ratings.
If anyone has Champions Classic tickets and wants to boycott, I will happily buy your tickets.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:55 am But seriously, those guys are just setting the stage for what's to come. They must know they're not going to pop up on a stupid text message string. Nike probably just does this better than Adidas (like everything else). So they're just preemptively setting the narrative that they didn't know because they must know some of their players are going to inevitably be mentioned in the next few trials.
Eh, I wouldn’t bet TJ Gassnola’s rent money that there aren’t five of him at Nike.
No doubt. There definitely are.

I just mean that K and Roy wouldn't be coming out making these bold statements if they thought there was a chance they'd have a text message out there like Selfs or KTs....otherwise they're going to look foolish if they're saying this and there is evidence that they are lying.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:13 am I would be fine with this as well as long as the player wasn't getting paid ( or immediately paid ) and wasn't working with an agent during the school year.
In your opinion, should Kyler Murray not be allowed to play football for Oklahoma this year?

Should the player allowed to have received a draft bonus held in trust, so long as the player is not getting cash while playing ball?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:23 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:55 am But seriously, those guys are just setting the stage for what's to come. They must know they're not going to pop up on a stupid text message string. Nike probably just does this better than Adidas (like everything else). So they're just preemptively setting the narrative that they didn't know because they must know some of their players are going to inevitably be mentioned in the next few trials.
Eh, I wouldn’t bet TJ Gassnola’s rent money that there aren’t five of him at Nike.

I just mean that K and Roy wouldn't be coming out making these bold statements if they thought there was a chance they'd have a text message out there like Selfs or KTs....otherwise they're going to look foolish if they're saying this and there is evidence that they are lying.
I think they’re going to end up looking foolish. You think Kansas offered Zion something, and he went to Duke for free? I do not.

Same way I do not think Maryland offered Silvio something, and he went to Kansas for free.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 am
pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:13 am I would be fine with this as well as long as the player wasn't getting paid ( or immediately paid ) and wasn't working with an agent during the school year.
In your opinion, should Kyler Murray not be allowed to play football for Oklahoma this year?

Should the player allowed to have received a draft bonus held in trust, so long as the player is not getting cash while playing ball?
Something along these lines.
I would prefer players who want to be paid to go get paid and players who want to go to school and play college ball, to do so.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 am

I think they’re going to end up looking foolish. You think Kansas offered Zion something, and he went to Duke for free? I do not.

Same way I do not think Maryland offered Silvio something, and he went to Kansas for free.
No absolutely not....but I also think Duke may not have a coach talking about it explicitly in a text like dumbass KT.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

There is a reason HCBS was so circumspect and cautious with his words when the story broke.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 am

There is a reason HCBS was so circumspect and cautious with his words when the story broke.
No one believes me, but I really do think there's a real chance we lose Bill over this. Not because he will get fired, but because he's really done almost everything there is to do at this level, and I could see him packing his shit and leaving before making KT a fall guy.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:31 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 am

No one believes me, but I really do think there's a real chance we lose Bill over this. Not because he will get fired, but because he's really done almost everything there is to do at this level, and I could see him packing his shit and leaving before making KT a fall guy.
Agreed. He's not going to fire KT for something he knew was going on and was also involved in. Same reason he won't make SDS leave school even if he doesn't play him. I'm sure Self is sick over the fact SDS is going to have his future chances at the NBA greatly hurt over this because he's not going to have the chance to develop his game in college over the next few years, and we are partly responsible for it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 am

Something along these lines.
I would prefer players who want to be paid to go get paid and players who want to go to school and play college ball, to do so.
I just struggle with this. If the guy lives in the dorm with the rest of the guys, and travels and practices and eats and goes to The Cave with the rest of the guys, who gives a shit?

This isn't the priesthood; there's no vow of poverty. Why should a kid who got a signing bonus in another sport, or the same sport, but chooses to play college ball instead of starting a pro career, not be allowed to play college ball? What is the meaningful difference between that money and, like, Brady Morningstar's money?

Why in the world should we want to turn away kids that want to play college ball?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 am

No absolutely not....but I also think Duke may not have a coach talking about it explicitly in a text like dumbass KT.
Maybe, maybe not. Certainly were I a defendant in one of these cases, I'd fight like hell to introduce evidence of a bidding war (in that, if there's a bidding war, then there's no fucking way a school could be said to have been defrauded).
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:48 am

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly were I a defendant in one of these cases, I'd fight like hell to introduce evidence of a bidding war (in that, if there's a bidding war, then there's no fucking way a school could be said to have been defrauded).
Then can't they just say the coaches defrauded the school too?

This is so weird. What's even weirder is that I believe the ncaa has known about this stuff for decades, but hasn't been able to prove it very often because they don't have the same powers that the fbi have.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I know you struggle with it.
We just don't see things the same way.
I prefer to keep money out of college basketball as best we can and you don't care.

Again, you'd prefer KC Phogushers and i'd prefer Western Hutchinson's CC Birds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:51 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:48 am

Then can't they just say the coaches defrauded the school too?

This is so weird. What's even weirder is that I believe the ncaa has known about this stuff for decades, but hasn't been able to prove it very often because they don't have the same powers that the fbi have.
Eh, the coaches are, legally speaking, agents of the schools. I don't think it would be difficult to impute a coach's knowledge of something to the school (such that, if a coach knows something, you can't really say the school didn't know about it).

I'm not sure the NCAA has had a real interest in proving this stuff; it's not hard to find if you start looking just a little. I think the NCAA has liked, or at the very least lived with, the status quo.

Which, of course, speaks to the utter amorality (at best) of the entire enterprise - leaving these kids to navigate this shady-ass world is certainly not in their best interest.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 am I know you struggle with it.
I prefer to keep money out of college basketball as best we can and you don't care.

Again, you'd prefer KC Phogushers and i'd prefer Western Hutchinson's CC Birds.
Ok. So college basketball should be more accessible for rich kids than poor kids. Got it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That doesn't make sense.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Like most things im so damn in tbe middle of the road on this shit. Its be easier ifni had a strong stance that i could staunchily defend like fish or pwhitte. I find myself nodding along reading both sides of the issue. The whole thing is frustrating.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:03 am That doesn't make sense.
Sure it does. You take the position that there's something fundamentally different about a kid with a $4 million trust fund from his parents than a kid with $4 million in the bank as a draft bonus.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 am I know you struggle with it.
I'm fine with keeping the money out of college basketball too....but I'm not fine with the players being the only people not getting rich while everyone else gets rich off of the players contributions on the court.