Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
DeletedUser

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:45 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:59 pm Welp.

In this week’s episode of, “Sorry you guys I know you hate me for doing this but SERIOUSLY HOW AM I THE ONLY ONE CONCERNED ABOUT US GIVING WEAPONS TO RIGHT-WING NATIONALISTS WHO END UP ON TRIAL AT THE HAGUE FOR GENOCIDE?!?!”
The top court of the United Nations ruled on Friday that it would take up the question of whether Ukraine committed genocide in its Donetsk and Luhansk regions, an accusation at the heart of Russia’s argument for its 2022 full-scale invasion.

The ruling came in a case brought by Ukraine to the International Court of Justice. The court said that Ukraine’s claim that there was no credible evidence that Kyiv was “responsible for committing genocide” in its Donetsk and Luhansk regions was admissible and that it would examine that claim on its merits.

The case, which will likely take many months to complete, will give a legal answer to one of the central allegations made by Russia against Ukraine — that Kyiv has been committing genocide against Russian speakers in the country’s east.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/worl ... ussia.html
No one hates you.

But this is a great example of what you are doing, over and over, that people hate.

It is clear from just the portion of the article you quoted that what is happening here is that Ukraine ASKED the UN court to consider whether Putin’s justification for his war on Ukraine has any basis in fact.

You will be familiar with Putin’s pretext here, because it is right there in his war-opening speech that you have cribbed from. But here is some additional information in the article you posted:
In his February 2022 speech that announced the invasion of Ukraine, President Vladimir V. Putin said that the purpose of the “special military operation,” as Russia has called the war, was to “protect people who, for eight years now, have been facing humiliation and genocide perpetrated by the Kyiv regime.”

Ukraine denounced Russia’s genocide allegations at the time, calling them “manipulative.” Shortly after the invasion Ukraine’s foreign affairs ministry said they served as an excuse for Russia’s “unlawful aggression.”

Two days after the Russian attack, Ukraine brought its case to the court, which is based in The Hague, in the Netherlands, arguing that the genocide allegation was false and therefore Russia’s use of force against it was a violation of the Genocide Convention.

[…]

[Should] the court rule in Ukraine’s favor, that would dismiss Russia’s claim that Kyiv had committed genocide against Russian speakers in the country’s east, which has been at the heart of Moscow’s argument for invasion and overall hostility toward the Ukrainian government.
In other words, you are SO freaking eager to adopt Putin’s talking points that you see (and bring us!), as evidence of Ukraine’s apparent arson, a proceeding brought by Ukraine to establish that Russia manufactured smoke.
You actually think he read that entire article?

LOL
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

you guys. I just...I can't even.

moving right along...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/welcome-to ... m-a99dba38
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Again, it is the WSJ.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

what?!?! the US isn’t a monolithic entity when it comes to feelings about war and military assistance?!?!?

holy.

fucking.

shit.

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

no, the U.S. is indeed not a monolithic entity when it comes to feelings about war and military assistance.

The thing is, if anyone even attempts to express feelings about war and military assistance that deviate from the monolithic entity that is the prescribed narratives…well, just look how this thread has treated Qusdahl.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

That's not what has happened to you or why it has happened to you.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:44 pm That's not what has happened to you or why it has happened to you.
Agent of Change!
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Always great to fight the power. That saves your ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

U.S. war plans for Ukraine don’t foresee retaking lost territory

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... n-defense/

- 10-year plan (but I thought it was no matter how long)

- “access to the financial sector”

- “future-proofing Ukraine against Trump”

- ‘“There is still going to be swapping of territory” in small cities and villages with minimal strategic value’ so much for not one inch

- “U.S. policymakers say they expect the war will eventually end through negotiations”

- but also that they don’t think Putin will be serious about talks this (so much for those “Putin hints at being open to ceasefire” headlines western media published a few weeks ago, but were more Putin propaganda cuz it would have involved conceding the Russian-occupied areas that didn’t even wanna be part of Ukraine but now the west is apparently conceding anyway)

“You cannot win a war by pursuing an incremental step-by-step approach,” As we continue to pursue an incremental step-by-step approach

Like, seriously…wut
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:41 pm no, the U.S. is indeed not a monolithic entity when it comes to feelings about war and military assistance.

The thing is, if anyone even attempts to express feelings about war and military assistance that deviate from the monolithic entity that is the prescribed narratives…well, just look how this thread has treated Qusdahl.
Your own absurd comments have resulted in the majority of treatment you have received.

I doubt anyone here would prefer the US be at war vs not be at war. But there are simply some moments where it is the best shitty option that you have. Has the current path been the best possible path? Who knows, it is nearly impossible to move down the perfect path especially when so many people define what that path is differently.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

You don't need to know any more than this. Here is real justification for the Putin invading Ukraine and killing civilians and committing war crimes.

He had to; he is saving Japan from Ukrainian beauty queen aggression!
Karolina Shiino, a Ukraine-born model with Japanese citizenship, has relinquished her title as the 2024 Miss Japan Grand Prix winner after a magazine report revealed her affair with a married influencer.

Exposed: On Wednesday, Shukan Bunshun reported that Shiino, 26, was in a relationship with a married doctor. However, the Miss Japan organizer rejected the claim on Thursday, asserting that the doctor had represented himself as single, and Shiino was unaware of his marital status. But on Monday, the association admitted that Shiino had known about the doctor's marriage and apologized for initially denying it.

Stepping down from the crown: Consequently, Shiino offered to step down as Miss Japan. Despite contest organizers initially supporting her, she decided to give up her title following the revelation. She apologized for causing trouble and betraying her supporters.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:20 am U.S. war plans for Ukraine don’t foresee retaking lost territory

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... n-defense/

- 10-year plan (but I thought it was no matter how long)

- “access to the financial sector”

- “future-proofing Ukraine against Trump”

- ‘“There is still going to be swapping of territory” in small cities and villages with minimal strategic value’ so much for not one inch

- “U.S. policymakers say they expect the war will eventually end through negotiations”

- but also that they don’t think Putin will be serious about talks this (so much for those “Putin hints at being open to ceasefire” headlines western media published a few weeks ago, but were more Putin propaganda cuz it would have involved conceding the Russian-occupied areas that didn’t even wanna be part of Ukraine but now the west is apparently conceding anyway)

“You cannot win a war by pursuing an incremental step-by-step approach,” As we continue to pursue an incremental step-by-step approach

Like, seriously…wut
The other day, you tried to sell us Ukraine's request for a UN court hearing on genocide allegations as evidence of Ukraine's complicity in the war brought on Ukraine.

Today, you are trying to sell us the practical reality that Ukraine's relative weakness, and our flagging support, will result in losing territory as a condition for "peace"...as evidence that maybe Ukraine should have just capitulated in the first place, or something?

Again, whether you like it or not, you are taking Putin's side, over and over.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For real, fish. Where do you draw this line?

The New York Times reports that the UN court will rule on whether Ukraine committed genocide.

So is the NYT a Putin parrot too?

Is the UN too?

The Washington Post reports Ukraine and the west’s strategy, decades long tho it is, is no longer to retaking territory lost to Russia.

So is the Washington Post a Russian spambot too?

Is the Biden Administration too?

Again, where do you draw this line?

Cuz it almost sounds like you’re, once again, knee-jerk dismissing anything and everything that doesn’t fit in with your narrow world views as Russian propaganda.

Heck, how about Palestinian protestors? Are they Kremlin mouthpieces as well? You gonna go full Pelosi about that one too?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:00 pm
Cuz it almost sounds like you’re, once again, knee-jerk dismissing anything and everything that doesn’t fit in with your narrow world views as Russian propaganda.
No, that's not what it sounds like he's doing/saying.

My goodness. You either somehow don't understand his position/what he is saying, after ALL this time, or you are intentionally misrepresenting things to argue against that nobody has said/is doing.

It's one of those two. And either way, it's embarrassing to watch. This has been going on for several years now. Literally.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

When Illy calls you our for Illy-ing...
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:00 pm For real, fish. Where do you draw this line?

The New York Times reports that the UN court will rule on whether Ukraine committed genocide.

So is the NYT a Putin parrot too?

Is the UN too?
I think you should read the NYT article. Because you are, without regard for the context of the investigation, using the fact of the existence of the investigation as support for your general position that Ukraine has unclean hands or something.

And, in my opinion, the fact of the existence of the investigation does not support your position.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I did read the NYT article.

I asked you about the context of the investigation. Do you think the UN investigating Ukraine for genocide is Russian propaganda?

For that matter, if the UN court finds Ukraine did or is committing genocide, would that change your stance about supporting them?*

And, you should read the wapo article. Do you think the Biden administration’s new strategy of effectively conceding Russia-controlled Ukrainian territory is a concern?

*and then realize this isn’t even the only imperial ally we’re providing weapons to that is currently on trial for genocide! But I guess I should take that to the nothing cares cuz no one matters thread
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:30 pm When Illy calls you our for Illy-ing...
Sorry I’m so annoying, 99.

I’m just really, really, really, reeeeeeeaaaaallly, REALLY fucking tired of like half a dozen or so posters keep calling me a Putin parrot, instead of just like actually acknowledging the changing narratives and such.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:58 pm I did read the NYT article.

I asked you about the context of the investigation. Do you think the UN investigating Ukraine for genocide is Russian propaganda?
…the NYT article makes it very clear that this investigation was openly sought by Ukraine.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dude. Fish. For real. You’re avoiding inconvenient facts like you’re lobster in the Covid thread.

YES, I know, the investigation was openly sought by Ukraine, in the ICJ. And rather than just end the investigation right there by taking Ukraine’s word for it that they weren’t and aren’t committing genocide, the ICJ said actually let’s examine this claim on its merits.

In other words, the ICJ is putting the Russian propaganda itself on trial!

If the ICJ finds Ukraine has not done anything genocidal, and those right-wing swastika-wearing Hitler-heiling ethno-nationalists really were just a bunch of democracy-loving choir boys all along, boy is that your chance to feed me that crauw! Just shove it right down my throat!

But, if the ICJ finds there IS some objective credibility to the Russian propaganda, and Ukraine HAS and IS doing something genocidal…well, I’d ask what then, but I know you won’t respond, just like you didn’t respond to any of the other facts that conflict with your world view.