Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:58 am
JKLivin wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:54 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:49 am

Ok. You’re choosing to believe what you want to believe. But there is lots and lots and lots of objective data to the contrary.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... -102384028

It simply IS misleading to say people got $700 checks and the government walked away.

It simply IS misleading to say the government is going to be gobbling up land by eminent domain.

This is the problem: when your worldview STARTS with latching on to conspiracy memes, you are anchored by falsehoods. And you are clearly smart enough to see through it.
I don't dispute that the government MIGHT be forthcoming with more at some point in the future. My quarrel is with expediency and timing. Why keep funneling billions overseas rather than immediately providing for the poorest of the poor in our own country?
Because Republicans keep shutting down funding to programs that support the poorest of the poor? Or did I miss the GOP getting behind things like welfare, SNAP, etc...
^^^^^^^

handouts
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:02 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:57 am
JKLivin wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:54 am

I don't dispute that the government MIGHT be forthcoming with more at some point in the future. My quarrel is with expediency and timing. Why keep funneling billions overseas rather than immediately providing for the poorest of the poor in our own country?
We’re doing both! That’s what being in the big chair, globally, means!

Just because we’re not sending smallpox blankets to refugees before they cross the border, and then lining the entire border with electric fences and Africanized killer beehives atop them, doesn’t mean we’re putting Ukraine above America.
I don't care about being in the big chair globally. I care about taking care of Americans, which those in power have decided is no longer of primary importance. Hence, the popularity of the Trumps, Viveks, and RFKs.

The rest of your post is reductio ad absurdum.
Feel like I’m in bizarroland. None of the three you mentioned has done ANYTHING to suggest they give one single, solitary fuck - not even a partial fuck or a conditional promise of a hint of a fuck - about actual, ordinary Americans.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:09 am

Just because we’re not sending smallpox blankets to refugees before they cross the border, and then lining the entire border with electric fences and Africanized killer beehives atop them, doesn’t mean we’re putting Ukraine above America.
I don't care about being in the big chair globally. I care about taking care of Americans, which those in power have decided is no longer of primary importance. Hence, the popularity of the Trumps, Viveks, and RFKs.

Feel like I’m in bizarroland. None of the three you mentioned has done ANYTHING to suggest they give one single, solitary fuck - not even a partial fuck or a conditional promise of a hint of a fuck - about actual, ordinary Americans.
Psych needs someone to blame, and that's what matters.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

I feel the same way. Everything they talk about is for the benefit of actual, ordinary Americans.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:15 am

I feel the same way. Everything they talk about is for the benefit of actual, ordinary Americans.
Yes, they talk about it. But one is, charitably, a wayward scion of a moneyed political dynasty who clearly drinks from poisoned wells. And the other two are frauds, so what’s their word even mean?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:18 am

Yes, they talk about it. But one is, charitably, a wayward scion of a moneyed political dynasty who clearly drinks from poisoned wells. And the other two are frauds, so what’s their word even mean?
I would say the same of Brandon and Giggles. I'm interested in outcomes.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

there’s that psych maturity

quality stuff

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:19 am

You should lecture us more on how childish name calling diverts the conversation...
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:28 am
JKLivin wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:19 am

You should lecture us more on how childish name calling diverts the conversation...
I missed the part where they are here on the boreds, I guess.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It seems to me that you're fairly close to a two-issue voter: close the border and slow-walk transitioning toward alternative energy.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it seems to me that the current situation is a slow-walk

given his “jokes” about what a decarbonized world might look like, it’s more likely that he has zero desire for such a transition (due largely to ignorance), regardless of the pace
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:15 pm It seems to me that you're fairly close to a two-issue voter: close the border and slow-walk transitioning toward alternative energy.
The economy
The border
Everything else important falls under those two umbrellas.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:12 am

Psych needs someone to blame, and that's what matters.
Says the guy who blames Trumpers and rubes for all of the world's ills . . .
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-go ... 552a94cbb4

Could have gone in any number of threads, sadly.

"A man illegally brought a loaded handgun into the Wisconsin Capitol, demanding to see Gov. Tony Evers, and returned at night with an assault rifle after posting bail, a spokesperson for the state said Thursday."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:40 pm https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-go ... 552a94cbb4

Could have gone in any number of threads, sadly.

"A man illegally brought a loaded handgun into the Wisconsin Capitol, demanding to see Gov. Tony Evers, and returned at night with an assault rifle after posting bail, a spokesperson for the state said Thursday."
I’d ask “what’s it gonna take?”, but I am not sure there’s a plausible answer.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

free-dumb
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:44 pmfree-dumb
It’s almost like we’re seeing, in the news every day, exactly what’s meant by The Great Filter.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:46 pm
It’s almost like we’re seeing, in the news every day, exactly what’s meant by The Great Filter.

Fascinating read, thanks!

It feels like our planet is in the infantile stage of development where all we've really learned is that we can get what we need by screaming really loud.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:01 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:46 pm

Fascinating read, thanks!

It feels like our planet is in the infantile stage of development where all we've really learned is that we can get what we need by screaming really loud.
Yeah I love it. Read it top to bottom once a year or so.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

making america great again

https://www.krqe.com/news/crime/documen ... h-fbi/amp/

it’s not often that Espa is in the news at the national level. low-riders and green chili is usually what the area is known for