Video Games

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: Video Games

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:20 pm I love me some Skyrim.

Very excited to see what story they came up for Joel and Ellie in this next Last of Us.
Reviews are a good sign.
Let us know how it is. Maybe I use it to close the gap between the end of this run of Skyrim and PS5.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Two hours in.
Graphics are incredible—lighting, water, movement of trees and grass, snow.
Soundtrack by Gustavo Santaollala is haunting just like the first game.
Ellie is back and she’s as badass as ever and has a budding romance with another girl—ie HD would HATE this game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well...plot turn I’m not a fan of...and unless they go back in time and let us play moments before this plot turn...in kinda disappointed.

A lot of users too.
95/100 by critics.
33/100 by users.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Metacritic shuts down user reviews for the Last of Us 2.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Ouch, not good. That's frustrating in a movie-like game such as that. It turns those long cut-scenes into "yell at the TV" time.

Maybe I finish my replay of RDR2 instead. Trying to finish out a 100% run.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Someone PM me what exactly happened. I'm never going to play the game, so I'm curious as to what could be pissing people off so much. I didn't play the first one.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

COD Warzone anyone?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Occasionally. Probably should play more because I do enjoy it.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I just don't have the time to build the skillset anymore needed to play FPS online at a non-frustrating level.
Offline games on normal mode are now my wheelhouse.

I put Last of Us 2 on hold.
Just wasn't amped to finish it which is super disappointing - maybe one colder weekend i'll spark it back up.
Back to Diablo 3 runs.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

COD Warzone has made Covid-19 a lot easier to handle. I quit playing video games 4-5 years ago, but playing COD has been a great way to still ‘hang’ with a lot of my friends. There’s usually somewhere between 4-8 people online most nights. Drop in for an hour and play some multiplayer or do a couple drops.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I’m thinking about getting a few Arcade1Up games for when we can’t go outside anymore. Anyone have experience?

I like the idea of being able to have multiple cabinets for $1500 or whatever, rather than (for example) spending that (or more) on one newer Golden Tee.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:37 am I’m thinking about getting a few Arcade1Up games for when we can’t go outside anymore. Anyone have experience?

I like the idea of being able to have multiple cabinets for $1500 or whatever, rather than (for example) spending that (or more) on one newer Golden Tee.
Do you just care about the games, or do you want physical cabinets. You can emulate arcade games, so you basically have any and unlimited games you want in a single stand up cabinet. It's very cheap for the electronics ($40 for CPU, probably $100 for the sticks, and $100-200 for the monitor, depending on quality) and then you just make or have someone make the cabinet, which is cheap and easy ($50 for stand up materials, plus labor). Then you buy an arcade wrap, probably $50-100.

So you can have unlimited free games for $350-500 plus labor to build. You can also do countertop machines for cheaper (probably $200).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:31 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:37 am I’m thinking about getting a few Arcade1Up games for when we can’t go outside anymore. Anyone have experience?

Do you just care about the games, or do you want physical cabinets. You can emulate arcade games, so you basically have any and unlimited games you want in a single stand up cabinet. It's very cheap for the electronics ($40 for CPU, probably $100 for the sticks, and $100-200 for the monitor, depending on quality) and then you just make or have someone make the cabinet, which is cheap and easy ($50 for stand up materials, plus labor). Then you buy an arcade wrap, probably $50-100.

So you can have unlimited free games for $350-500 plus labor to build. You can also do countertop machines for cheaper (probably $200).
I know. But part of it is the aesthetic also, as well as the number of "stations," as it were. I still (mostly) believe there's a future in which, for example, there might be ten kids over.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Yup, that's why I was asking. Some people want to just putter around on both Space Invaders and Pac Man and care less about style, and some want the arcade feel with some dedicated machines. Sounds like you want the latter. I just wanted to make sure you have the option. Another option to add to the arcade is get a few dedicated machines, then getting a Raspberry Pi and a few retro controllers for 8BitDo. Also fun to just load up every NES/SNES/Genesis game, as well as any other range of games below the PS2 era at your fingertips. $40 for the Pi, and about $40-50 for each controller based on what you are looking for.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Still on the hint for a PS5, no luck yet. Hopefully I can get my hands on one by the end of the year. Really hoping to get one before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, which looks huge and amazing and will probably be a complete system hog that runs better on a PS5.

Anyone else shopping for next gen consoles right now?
shindig

Post by shindig »

twocoach wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:16 pm Still on the hint for a PS5, no luck yet. Hopefully I can get my hands on one by the end of the year. Really hoping to get one before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, which looks huge and amazing and will probably be a complete system hog that runs better on a PS5.

Anyone else shopping for next gen consoles right now?
I'm still on my Atari 2600...lol. It's actually in my basement. My Mom was going to throw it away, so I saved it.

I'm not a big gamer. I get too obsessed with them and frustrated, so I haven't bought a gaming system since the 1st gen Xbox. It's also in my basement in a box.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'll wait for the price to go down and for more games to come out.
PS5 December 2021 for pdub.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i just don’t see a big enough difference with the “next generation” consoles...especially to justify the cost

my xb1 will suffice
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My PS4 sounds like it is going to blow out a fan when it runs some of these newer games. Just the upgrade there will be worth it.

I'll track one down at some point. Don't sit around waiting for them to drop the price any time soon. They are already losing money on the consoles. I bet they aren't dropping them for a few years.