Hudy gone...

Kansas Basketball.
Leawood

Re: Hudy gone...

Post by Leawood »

Makes me puke too. Every A. D. wants to create their own system. That is what is happening here. More structure. Less autonomy. Same pay. Versus probably the freedom she enjoyed here and a significant pay raise in a great. She’s going to hate sitting in the Erwin Center and 5,000 fans. I liked Bill’s comment about looking forward to seeing her in the Big 12 while wishing her the best. KU is going to kick the living shit out of Texas.

And football will get better.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Makes me puke too. Every A. D. wants to create their own system. That is what is happening here. More structure. Less autonomy. Same pay. Versus probably the freedom she enjoyed here and a significant pay raise in a great town. But, she’s going to hate sitting in the Erwin Center and 5,000 fans. It will never be a great basketball place, and that is what she has always liked.

I liked Bill’s comment about looking forward to seeing her in the Big 12 while wishing her the best. KU is going to kick the living shit out of Texas for the distant future. And all of Hudy’s talents won’t change that.

And football will get better.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Sorry. I hate this iPad
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Yep, but by going to UT she gets to be present to celebrate a championship banner presentation that she had nothing to do with. I can hear it now. The chants of....... N - I - T! N - I - T!
As great of a gig as she had at KU and for as much as she was loved, it was time for her to move on.
For her sake. Pushed out or leaving on her own. Whatever reason/s it may have been.
Now as far as I am concerned about Hudy, she can blow fish.
Ok, I admit wish her well. Why wouldn't I?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Paul1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 am Yep, but by going to UT she gets to be present to celebrate a championship banner presentation that she had nothing to do with. I can hear it now. The chants of....... N - I - T! N - I - T!
As great of a gig as she had at KU and for as much as she was loved, it was time for her to move on.
For her sake. Pushed out or leaving on her own. Whatever reason/s it may have been.
Now as far as I am concerned about Hudy, she can blow fish.
Ok, I admit wish her well. Why wouldn't I?
Leave me out of this.
surly

Post by surly »

She is admired across the profession at all levels.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Board consensus was she was "The Best" while on the KU staff. "Best" means "better than any others".

Now we'll simply plug-and-play a different S& C coach into the mix?

In my view, if she really was the best (and she sure seemed to be), then we won't be able to do any better than "almost as good" when replacing her.

I think this stings, and to say otherwise sorta smacks of "sour grapes". My $.02.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Funny how she was "the best" while on the KU staff but if she was never on the KU staff - most KU fans would think of her as nothing more than just another S&C coach at a different school.
Did anyone on here really give a damn about Hudy when she was at UConn? Heck, how many on here even knew who she was when she was at UConn?
I can't imagine anyone is happy we lost Hudy but we were fine before we had her, we were fine when we had her, and I am confident we will be fine after we had her.
That's my $.02.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Last edited by DrPepper on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Blow fish, gutter.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am Board consensus was she was "The Best" while on the KU staff.
I've said for over a decade and I'll say it again: Hudy and Danny Manning's time at KU is overrated. It does not mean that they are bad, they were/are both great.

Oklahoma Joe's is also overrated--similar statement (and true).

The problem is dealing in absolutes: Hudy can be both great and replaceable--imo, that's the closest thing to the truth.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

OK. I mean, to the extent that they install another S&C coach, she is by definition "replaceable". But it's my strong impression that if you canvas 50 S&C coaches, you'll get 50 different approaches to S&C. Hers was unique and dynamic, and she apparently had an ability to get buy-in.

There've been a lot of comments on the board regarding the need for specific players to get "Hudy" time. Then we'd marvel at the transformation. An eyeball comparison with opposing teams would impress with the differences in physiques. Presumably the S&C coaches at those peer opposing teams were eminently qualified for their jobs. But their philosophies and approaches were apparently different in impactful ways.

I think we'll be fine, and vote that we do not close down the Basketball program. But I think it's a shame she's leaving and I wish she'd stayed. That's all.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:24 am
ChalkRocker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am Board consensus was she was "The Best" while on the KU staff.
I've said for over a decade and I'll say it again: Hudy and Danny Manning's time at KU is overrated. It does not mean that they are bad, they were/are both great.

The problem is dealing in absolutes: Hudy can be both great and replaceable--imo, that's the closest thing to the truth.

I love Hudy, all the attention and results she’s got with the program.

But if we are playing realistic... she implemented the Sparta Force Plate System, and we’ve been on autopilot for some time. The system is set. The day to day strength and conditioning is a canned program. And can be run by interns, assistants and trained Sparta employees as it has been. She brought a ton of wisdom and motivation to go along with it, but I’m not thinking the program takes any dips in actual strength, conditioning or preventative health.

Hell, I’d be the first to nominate Coach Q to bring the motivation and passion to go with the program Hudy leaves us with.
I am, I said.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Again, she got huge popularity because she was a woman who was kicking ass with 16-23 year-olds turning them from boys to men.

But she is also replaceable because as Soklous mentioned above, a lot of the men's basketball team uses that Sparta system and everything is tracked electronically.

The job is big on motivation and keeping the guys going when they don't want to continue on. I think Self and Long can find someone who can fill that role.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 am

But if we are playing realistic... she implemented the Sparta Force Plate System, and we’ve been on autopilot for some time. The system is set. The day to day strength and conditioning is a canned program. And can be run by interns, assistants and trained Sparta employees as it has been. She brought a ton of wisdom and motivation to go along with it, but I’m not thinking the program takes any dips in actual strength, conditioning or preventative health.

Hell, I’d be the first to nominate Coach Q to bring the motivation and passion to go with the program Hudy leaves us with.
Good point on the system. I also understand that we are a pioneer in what will be an industry standard with Kansas Team Health. That’s going to cause turnover.

I do firmly believe that if there was something that made Bill feel like this was a person we couldn’t let go, he would have made sure she stayed.

I just do not foresee any meaningful negative impact.
noosh

Post by noosh »

Who cares. Aint like we've been winning titles recently with her. NEXT!!!

This whole staff is about 1-2 years away from new jobs anyway once the NCAA hammer comes down.

Our biggest handicap is them 3 stripes. Gotta get back to Nike to get the kids we need up in AFH.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:01 am
Soklous wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 am

Good point on the system. I also understand that we are a pioneer in what will be an industry standard with Kansas Team Health. That’s going to cause turnover.

I do firmly believe that if there was something that made Bill feel like this was a person we couldn’t let go, he would have made sure she stayed.

I just do not foresee any meaningful negative impact.

Refresher on how it actually looks. Required focused sessions, but a whole lot of our players individually progressing.

https://www.sporttechie.com/kansas-ncaa ... r-density/

https://youtu.be/QFErZuBThTs

https://youtu.be/rNeIT6fB1_I

I really enjoyed the stability of Hudys show, but not naive enough to think their isn’t room for change or others bringing same or different approach with equal or greater quality.

Also interesting note: Hudy was a keynote speaker at SXSW this March in Austin.
I am, I said.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Fair enuf. Of course there's room for change. I suppose that's unavoidable at this juncture. And while the article you cited kind of highlights the fact that different programs can take notably different approaches, and Hudy's was unique, I'd never suggest that Villanova's guys don't look jacked beyond belief at times.

A similar approach would not be a step down. Thanks for the info, Soklous.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

ChalkRocker.... You've said this like 3 times and its bugging me. You keep saying if you canvassed 50 S&C coaches, you'd get 50 different approaches to S&C but Hudy's was unique. If what you're saying is true, everyone's S&C is unique. 50 S&C coaches, 50 approaches, each of those approaches is unique.

I'm not diminishing the impact Hudy has had on our program during her time in Lawrence, but you're not offering any reason that she isn't replaceable beyond her unique approach, even though by your own reasoning every single other S&C coach has their own approach as well.

Again, not saying she won't be missed, but I'm pretty sure we'll get another S&C coach who will kick some ass and we probably won't think about it too much once the season starts unless we have tons of injuries.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Again, not saying she won't be missed, but I'm pretty sure we'll get another S&C coach who will kick some ass and we probably won't think about it too much once the season starts unless we have tons of injuries.
Don't remember her being praised last year with the amount of injuries the team was dealing with.