"Get away" trips.

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 266

Re: "Get away" trips.

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Chikn - ?
My post had nothing to do with you personally/specifically.
I was stating that places such as Nashville, Austin, etc., became known as hip/cool places and because of it - people felt a need to explore those cities. In massive waves.
They (the cities) then started to cater to people who were not natives/locals. The cities became tourist attractions. They (the cities) became less "cool" by doing as such.
Just my opinion. That's all.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think the key is, if you want to experience somewhere new then for the love of god DONT go to the touristy areas. Hit up a friend and go to the neighborhood dives.

If you don’t have a friend to hit up then go to the touristy areas and ask some of the workers there where they like to go hang out once they’re done serving y’all.

“Travelers don’t know where they’re going. Tourists don’t know where they’ve been.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sooo anyone been to Bend, Oregon?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

wife and i have been talking about a road trip up to that neck of the woods, but i’ve never been
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:56 pm sooo anyone been to Bend, Oregon?
Spent a decent amount of time in Oregon in my younger days - mother was from Tigard. Lovely country out there. A tad on the gloomy side. Folks are very sweet.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

You guys ready for my awesome "Get Away Trip" coming up this weekend??

The fam and I are heading up to the lovely metropolis of KC this weekend and visiting the wonders of Legoland and SeaLife Aquarium!

The life of having 3 kids 8 and under!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I spent three hours with the nephews in Boston's Legoland and was overwhelmed.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I leave on Wednesday for 2 weeks in Hong Kong to disappear for a bit. Scheduled prior to the revolution. Stopping back in Israel for a week where I have worked for the last decade. With all the terrorists you guys are after. Horrible horrible folks.
I am, I said.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah it's going to be a ride for sure. My oldest, turning 8 this weekend is pumped. He creates buildings and all that from scratch and does really good at building little cities. Could be a dang engineer some day!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Soklous wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:06 pm I leave on Wednesday for 2 weeks in Hong Kong to disappear for a bit. Scheduled prior to the revolution. Stopping back in Israel for a week where I have worked for the last decade. With all the terrorists you guys are after. Horrible horrible folks.
“disappear for a bit” means so much more coming from this guy.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Family vacations are the greatest of the vacations.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yep. Another place that was better before it became a trendy tourist hotspot.

Good breweries and good outdoor activities abound in the area though.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:49 pm You guys ready for my awesome "Get Away Trip" coming up this weekend??

The fam and I are heading up to the lovely metropolis of KC this weekend and visiting the wonders of Legoland and SeaLife Aquarium!

If you haven't done the Union Station stuff, check it out. Better for the kids and way better for the adults.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Best outdoor spot in the state.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:19 pm
Best outdoor spot in the state.
Maybe. I think the wallowas are better and prettier. From Joseph east to the snake there is about anything you wanna do...just less people.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:43 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:49 pm You guys ready for my awesome "Get Away Trip" coming up this weekend??

If you haven't done the Union Station stuff, check it out. Better for the kids and way better for the adults.
Is Science City still there? I took my kids when they were little (granted, 15 years ago) and they hated it.
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:43 pm

We did Union Station a few winters ago over Christmas holiday. Like the weekend before Christmas. Pretty incredible there. Kids loved it.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Is Fritz's in Crown Center worth it?

Just heard about this place and my boys love trains.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It is not.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:49 am Cool! A thread that started out with defix throwing his kid under the bus for being an idiot - and then expressing/explaining the repercussions - has now turned in to a humble brag contest.
At the moment - PDub is winning.
Could you be specific about where I threw my kid under the bus? My parenting class instructor needs the link.