This week in emasculation.....

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: This week in emasculation.....

Post by ousdahl »

Grandma wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:54 pm [quote=HouseDivided post_id=77552 time=<a href="tel:1576178960">1576178960</a> user_id=113]
[quote=defixione post_id=77539 time=<a href="tel:1576175298">1576175298</a> user_id=69]
[quote=DCHawk1 post_id=77534 time=<a href="tel:1576172891">1576172891</a> user_id=70]

exACtLy!

Better hope this cover didn't just convert half of Trump's voters to Biden's camp! The fact that it's just a joke won't matter to them.
[/quote]

The notion that Greta Thunberg would be a hero to anybody is an enormous joke in and of itself.
[/quote]

Not sure if you said that because you misunderstand that the Time Person of the Year is not required to be a "hero" - or if you were just saying that in general.
If you were not aware, Time People of the Year have included Hitler, Stalin, Khrushchev, Khomeini, Putin, and You.
[/quote]

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dangit the quotes screwed up on me.

Sorry pwhitt.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

A. It is always and everywhere unkind and unfair to pick on kids.

B. It is always and everywhere inappropriate to exploit children by using them as "human shields" to promote your cause and insulate yourself from criticism, knowing that decent people believe that it is always and everywhere unkind and unfair to pick on kids.

C. therefore, y'all suck.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:47 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:56 pm
Grandma wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:22 pm

Ok, let's see if I have this right. Are you saying if someone is autistic and suffers from severe OCD, among other things, they are less of a human being and not worthy of any positive accolades and that they can't be a hero or expert on a particular subject in your eyes/mind?
If so, you're right about one thing that you said - our culture has become silly, and ignorant.

I have no proof of what "little to no practical understanding" Greta Thunberg has.
I don't know first hand what she actually studied and learned on her own and what she "parrots" from what she has been told by her parents.
Interesting how you and others seem to know.

As far as what Trump has (and hasn't done), he can find a fucking cure for cancer and I will still feel he is an absolute piece of shit human being.
1.) Go back and read what I wrote. I did not say she was less than human. I said she does not have the intellectual capacity to be an expert of any sort, nor does her age/level of education/life experience support any such accolades. If you understood autism, you would understand what I am saying.

2.) I am not surprised that you feel that way about President Trump. You are, as always, entitled to your opinion, even as misinformed and crudely put as it is.
You have zero clue what her intellectual capacity is. You have never met, not spoken to this person at all, let alone done a detailed medical diagnosis or intellectual evaluation of her.

If you understood autism, you would understand that the range of capacity and functionality is nearly unlimited. That you think that every single person with Asperger's has the same abilities then it is you who is misinformed.

I can't believe this conversation even needs to happen.
I am well aware that Autism (Autism Spectrum Disorder, to be exact) exists on a spectrum that we all inhabit. I have also read about her and watched multiple other interviews with her. It is apparent that she is not functioning at full cognitive capacity and that her reasoning ability is less than normal. In and of itself, that is not a reason to malign or condemn her. It is, however, an excellent reason to ask "Why are we elevating the words and opinions of this child to the status that we currently are?"

BTW, it is no longer referred to as Asperger's.

Hope that salves some of your outrage.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:44 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:58 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Oh, wow. This is so much "fail" to fit into one post.

That was revolting. It's been a few minutes since I initially read your post and it still makes me queasy. Wow.
It revolts me as well. The ignorance of Time Magazine staff and its readership is truly dumbfounding.
And to think the girl was also nominated for a Noble Peace Prize.
Well, I guess they must be pretty fricking ignorant too. After all, Trump was also nominated.
Go take a butt-hurt pill, dude. Considering Barry Sotero was also given a Noble (sic) Peace Prize, I'd say the standards are pretty low, or, in my terms, ignorant.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:03 pm A. It is always and everywhere unkind and unfair to pick on kids.
I'm not picking on the kid. I am proposing that we might want to be cautious about taking her perceptions, opinions, and various sundry observations and elevating them to canon status.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:38 pm
Grandma wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:22 pm

Ok, let's see if I have this right. Are you saying if someone is autistic and suffers from severe OCD, among other things, they are less of a human being and not worthy of any positive accolades and that they can't be a hero or expert on a particular subject in your eyes/mind?
If so, you're right about one thing that you said - our culture has become silly, and ignorant.

I have no proof of what "little to no practical understanding" Greta Thunberg has.
I don't know first hand what she actually studied and learned on her own and what she "parrots" from what she has been told by her parents.
Interesting how you and others seem to know.

As far as what Trump has (and hasn't done), he can find a fucking cure for cancer and I will still feel he is an absolute piece of shit human being.
1.) Go back and read what I wrote. I did not say she was less than human. I said she does not have the intellectual capacity to be an expert of any sort, nor does her age/level of education/life experience support any such accolades. If you understood autism, you would understand what I am saying.

2.) I am not surprised that you feel that way about President Trump. You are, as always, entitled to your opinion, even as misinformed and crudely put as it is.
I apologize. In fact you did not say she was less THAN human. I took your words to imply you feel she is a lesser human because of her autism, ocd, and other dare I say maladies.
You claimed she has little to no practical understanding of what here parents are explaining to her.
You know this to be true for a fact? She sure seems capable of understanding how to have an intelligent conversation and have her own thoughts from the interviews I have seen with her - but hey, she may have me fooled.
Now you have added - "she does not have the intellectual capacity to be an expert of any sort, nor does her age/level of education/life experience support any such accolades".
Again I say, she very well may have me fooled but it seems her "intellectual capacity" is higher than many/most who post on here that are twice, three, four, five times her age.
I admit I don't "understand" autism but I have spent time with people who are autistic. I choose not to label them "incapable" or "inadequate" of having their own thoughts and opinions.

My opinion of Donald Trump is "misinformed"? I beg to differ but if you feel that way, so be it.
Exactly. You took my words to imply (I am quoting you here) things that made you butt-hurt - not words I actually said - which is kind of your metier on this bored. If you are comfortable with a teenage autistic person doing your brain surgery, be my guest. I will go with someone who is older, healthier, and more capable. Is that discriminatory? Not in my book.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:03 pm A. It is always and everywhere unkind and unfair to pick on kids.

B. It is always and everywhere inappropriate to exploit children by using them as "human shields" to promote your cause and insulate yourself from criticism, knowing that decent people believe that it is always and everywhere unkind and unfair to pick on kids.

A. yeah, somebody should tell the president to behave more presidentially

B. Who is exploiting Thunberg? Is she merely a puppet? Does she deserve no recognition either way?

C. potd
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

sad

rather than praising and congratulating a young woman for her successes/accomplishments, and for standing up and speaking out for something she believes in and is passionate about, tough guys would rather bully and disaparrage her

‘murica
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:27 pm sad

rather than praising and congratulating a young woman for her successes/accomplishments, and for standing up and speaking out for something she believes in and is passionate about, tough guys would rather bully and disaparrage her

‘murica
That begs the very question I keep asking: What, exactly has she accomplished? What is her success other than angrily and inarticulately parroting the propaganda her parents have been feeding her in a public forum? She didn't create anything. She didn't solve any problems. She essentially threw a hissy fit on TV and now she's a saint? Give me a break.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:15 pm

I apologize. In fact you did not say she was less THAN human. I took your words to imply you feel she is a lesser human because of her autism, ocd, and other dare I say maladies.
You claimed she has little to no practical understanding of what here parents are explaining to her.
You know this to be true for a fact? She sure seems capable of understanding how to have an intelligent conversation and have her own thoughts from the interviews I have seen with her - but hey, she may have me fooled.
Now you have added - "she does not have the intellectual capacity to be an expert of any sort, nor does her age/level of education/life experience support any such accolades".
Again I say, she very well may have me fooled but it seems her "intellectual capacity" is higher than many/most who post on here that are twice, three, four, five times her age.
I admit I don't "understand" autism but I have spent time with people who are autistic. I choose not to label them "incapable" or "inadequate" of having their own thoughts and opinions.

My opinion of Donald Trump is "misinformed"? I beg to differ but if you feel that way, so be it.
Exactly. You took my words to imply (I am quoting you here) things that made you butt-hurt - not words I actually said - which is kind of your metier on this bored. If you are comfortable with a teenage autistic person doing your brain surgery, be my guest. I will go with someone who is older, healthier, and more capable. Is that discriminatory? Not in my book.
Seems the most "butt hurt" person on this thread is you. Sorry the 16 year old is the cause of your angst today.
Is she doing my, or your, or someone else's brain surgery, or is she taking a stance about something she and a lot of other people give a fuck about? There is a big difference there.
At least I think so.
You keep discounting her ability and intelligence/wisdom due to her age. You want to play the irrelevant age related analogy game? I'm in. My now 8 year old great nephew could recite every President in order (and name all 50 states in order) when he was 4 years old.
My guess is 75% of people 30 and older can't do it.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:27 pm sad

‘murica
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Really
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Getagrip.

HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:46 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Seems the most "butt hurt" person on this thread is you. Sorry the 16 year old is the cause of your angst today.
Is she doing my, or your, or someone else's brain surgery, or is she taking a stance about something she and a lot of other people give a fuck about? There is a big difference there.
At least I think so.
You keep discounting her ability and intelligence/wisdom due to her age. You want to play the irrelevant age related analogy game? I'm in. My now 8 year old great nephew could recite every President in order (and name all 50 states in order) when he was 4 years old.
My guess is 75% of people 30 and older can't do it.
And I would also argue that your 8 year-old nephew, despite his advanced recitation skills, does not understand the practical workings of the Federal government, much less warrant a Nobel Peace Prize or designation as Time's person of the year. Being able to recite data or say one's lines is not the same as having a worthwhile viewpoint.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Actually, I wouldn't be so shocked if he was as knowledgable about the "practical workings" of the federal government as you and most people your age are.
You're 100% right that he does not warrant a Nobel Prize or be designated Time's person of the year simply because he can recite data or say his lines but he sure has a lot or worthwhile opinions and viewpoints. Some incredibly candid and intellectual. Of course YOU would discount them because he's only 8 but so be it.

Anyways, let's please change back to the topic at hand because my mentioning my great nephew to try and make a point was a mistake - and my response should have been confined to commenting about Greta Thunberg and responding to your posts berating her for her age and perceived disabilities.
One of your posts stated - "The notion that Greta Thunberg would be a hero to anybody is an enormous joke in and of itself".
Let me ask you this.
If she is considered a "hero" to those with Aspergers/Autism that are grateful for her bringing awarenesses and helping to alleviate the stigma - that would be "an enormous joke in and of itself" to you?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:17 pm Actually, I wouldn't be so shocked if he was as knowledgable about the "practical workings" of the federal government as you and most people your age are.
You're 100% right that he does not warrant a Nobel Prize or be designated Time's person of the year simply because he can recite data or say his lines but he sure has a lot or worthwhile opinions and viewpoints. Some incredibly candid and intellectual. Of course YOU would discount them because he's only 8 but so be it.

Anyways, let's please change back to the topic at hand because my mentioning my great nephew to try and make a point was a mistake - and my response should have been confined to commenting about Greta Thunberg and responding to your posts berating her for her age and perceived disabilities.
One of your posts stated - "The notion that Greta Thunberg would be a hero to anybody is an enormous joke in and of itself".
Let me ask you this.
If she is considered a "hero" to those with Aspergers/Autism that are grateful for her bringing awarenesses and helping to alleviate the stigma - that would be "an enormous joke in and of itself" to you?
I would say that being an inspiration to people with ASD is a good thing, but not the same as Time Person of the Year.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

I call BS.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:33 pm
I call BS.
https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg