Chiefs SuperBowl Champs

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Chiefs SuperBowl Champs

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:18 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:12 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:11 am

I mean, when the gripe you have with the refs is that they missed a penalty against you, maybe you need to look in the mirror and get a real passing offense.

If I'm a 49er fan this morning, I'm wondering what the fuck is going on where the coach just doesn't trust the "franchise" quarterback. The end of the first half stuff was bizarre - when has any Mahomes opponent said "you know what, we don't need any more points"?
Truly bizarre. Yes, in what world do you think 20-23 points beats the chiefs? An egregious error in what was otherwise a good coaching day for him.

Niners were also having no problems moving the ball. This is also the same thing that killed him in LI. Reid the more aggressive coach? Bizarreness.
Shanahan was really good in the grand scheme of things. Had WRs open all night, the running backs all did well and they were very patient..

Butttttttt he lost the game in 3 parts.

1. The first FG on 4th and 5 from the 20. You can't take 3 there. Chiefs had to look at that as a victory.
2. The end of the first half. Should have called a timeout after the screen pass. Wasted quite a few precious seconds there, even more magnified when they got to midfield.
3. The play selection in the 4th quarter. You gashed KC all night running the ball. I get why you throw it in some cases because you think the defense is playing run-heavy, but those calls were bad.

I never would have thought that Andy Reid would have been the more aggressive coach.
They really needed a perfect game plan, and it felt like they were one hit short of the cycle.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:19 am Reid was not great, agree.

I think Pat was better than what appeared. Yes, one poor throw and one really poor throw, but his real issue was the Chiefs O-Line getting abused for 3+ quarters.

But, a lights out 4th quarter stole it. That’s why you draft 1st round QB talent.
As it should be, it's hard to separate Pat's performance from Andy's, the good and the bad. I do think that, lesson learned - when you're going against a rush like that, you've got to trim a lot of the fat from play calls (the stuff that takes way too long to develop). You've also got to move the pocket and let your MVP make plays.

My biggest gripe was that, for three quarters, Pat simply didn't have a chance to make plays downfield.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:19 am I think Pat was better than what appeared. Yes, one poor throw and one really poor throw, but his real issue was the Chiefs O-Line getting abused for 3+ quarters.
Man, that 49ers defensive line was even more ferocious and dominating than anything I had seen all year, including their games. That was a different level of pass rush last night.

But I give credit to the Chiefs OL. That play to Hill required protection for a longggg time and the OL did enough to let Pat get his feet set and throw it down there (granted he got hit, but it was just after ball was out)
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 am There's good sports fans - who congratulate you and talk about the good things your team did.
And then there's bad/jealous sports fans who blame it on the opposing team.
You didn't 'win', the other team lost.

I don't like those fans.
Not sure what you mean by this. I think Shanahan very very much DID lose that game for SF.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And I think KC won it.
Because they literally did.
Glass half empty up in here.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:11 am
lobster wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:17 pm
vmlb wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:12 pm
Still trying to understand why they didn't just keep running it down the chefs throat. They had plenty of time.
They had a few chances at the end. That long bomb late was way overthrown, but if it hadn't been, SF might have won the game. That no call on the delay of game was the only call I think SF got screwed with. But even so, there's no guarantee they would have converted on 4th and 15. I don't feel too bad about it as there were some bad calls against us earlier.
I mean, when the gripe you have with the refs is that they missed a penalty against you, maybe you need to look in the mirror and get a real passing offense.

If I'm a 49er fan this morning, I'm wondering what the fuck is going on where the coach just doesn't trust the "franchise" quarterback. The end of the first half stuff was bizarre - when has any Mahomes opponent said "you know what, we don't need any more points"?
I dont disagree at all, but that is what you get when your team is extremely defensive minded. I am sooooo glad we have the coaches we have because I hated watching Herm Edwards ball. SF said they were worried about Mahomes getting the ball again yhe 2nd quarter. I understand their fear, but you should play to win instead of playing not to lose.

Anyway, holy shit, what a playoff run!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Chiefs had Mahomes.
9ers had Jimmy G. Jimmy missed an open Emmanuel Sanders to maybe put away the game.
Mahomes made big plays when it mattered.

He led the Chiefs to a victory. The Chiefs won the game because of what Mahomes and crew did.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yep. And how goddamned hopeless it feels (as we all know) to bring a knife to a gunfight, quarterbackically speaking.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well, I could certainly see these two teams play in this game again. Doors closing on NO and GB.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:18 am Well, I could certainly see these two teams play in this game again. Doors closing on NO and GB.
The three best-positioned teams in the NFC might all be in the same division.

And we don't really know how good Kyler Murray can be.

Woof.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:15 am 9ers had Jimmy G. Jimmy missed an open Emmanuel Sanders to maybe put away the game.
That was such a bad throw. Overthrew him by 7 yards or so. Most good QBs don't miss that throw.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As mentioned last night, 49ers are set up with a good young core.
They will be a contender for some time.
I still think the Saints have one more push in them.

Say goodbye to Sammy Watkins and maybe Demarcus Robinson.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:18 am Well, I could certainly see these two teams play in this game again. Doors closing on NO and GB.
49ers arrived a year too early. They're going to be good for years to come.

I imagine we'll see a rematch within 4 years.

Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:28 am
49ers arrived a year too early. They're going to be good for years to come.

I imagine we'll see a rematch within 4 years.
Yep. And as long as KC has Mahomes we will always have good chance.

Someone else mentioned that if SF would have kept using their good running game, they might have scored again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Who knows.
Chiefs got gauged at points in the run but had plenty of stuffs for 1 to 2 yards as well.
Mostert was stopped for 1 yard on the drive after Mahomes 2nd INT that put them in 2nd and long.

In the last drive, San Fran needed to throw. There was under 2 minutes left on their own side of the field and they were down 4 points.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:27 am
pdub wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:15 am 9ers had Jimmy G. Jimmy missed an open Emmanuel Sanders to maybe put away the game.
That was such a bad throw. Overthrew him by 7 yards or so. Most good QBs don't miss that throw.
He doesn't have a very big arm. His deep throws tend to float.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:45 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:27 am
He doesn't have a very big arm. His deep throws tend to float.
Yep. He put everything into that throw too. What makes Mahomes different, is that is a flick of the wrist for him.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/286 ... rs-blew-it

"After scoring one touchdown on their first six drives, the Chiefs woke up and scored a touchdown on that drive and the following one. In the course of 12 offensive plays, they went from trailing 20-10 with a win expectancy of 3.9% to leading 24-20 with a win expectancy of 77.7%. After nearly collapsing, they became the first team in Super Bowl history to score 21 points in the fourth quarter and only needed half of the quarter to do it."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 am https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/286 ... rs-blew-it

"After scoring one touchdown on their first six drives, the Chiefs woke up and scored a touchdown on that drive and the following one. In the course of 12 offensive plays, they went from trailing 20-10 with a win expectancy of 3.9% to leading 24-20 with a win expectancy of 77.7%. After nearly collapsing, they became the first team in Super Bowl history to score 21 points in the fourth quarter and only needed half of the quarter to do it."
And of course that was on the heels of comebacks in the Divisional and Championship rounds. And of course Mahomes has never lost a game by more than one possession.

It boggles the mind that anyone in their right mind wouldn't try to score before halftime, with 1:42 and two timeouts. You're going to need every fucking point you can get against Mahomes/Reid.