NBA Draft

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: NBA Draft

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:04 amCould be an expensive interview.
These teams think they can fix anyone and everything.

Two other guys than Gay that stick out to me as not just loving basketball: Andrew Wiggins and Markelle Fultz. Both 1-1 guys. The former on a max.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i immediately thought of Wiggs
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:07 am Knicks are so Knicks-y. A team in dire need of an influx of talent and 8+ hours before the draft starts they trade away their #38 pick to move up from #27 to #23.
What's bizarre about it is it's exactly the kind of move you could make...at about the 20th pick, if your list at that tier is thinning out.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:12 am
TDub wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:04 amCould be an expensive interview.
These teams think they can fix anyone and everything.

Two other guys than Gay that stick out to me as not just loving basketball: Andrew Wiggins and Markelle Fultz. Both 1-1 guys. The former on a max.
All true. You think theyd learn though.

Course i wouldnt take lamelo if you paid me either. So, i guess you take talent.....its a good thing im not a GM because i wouldnt touch eother od those guys. I want people that want it and want to prove it.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If forced to choose, I'd take Lamelo over Edwards. Guys like Lamelo come along a lot less frequently than guys like Edwards.

In other words, you can replicate 80% of Edwards' peak value and skillset pretty easily, in another draft or via trade/free agency. Not the same for Lamelo.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Plus, it's the Wolves. They traded away players and picks for a point guard that explicitly stated he didn't want to play in Minneapolis. Draft a PG at 1-1 would be the Wolves move. And then try and trade to draft another one in the top 10.

I'm not sure who I'd take. No one obvious sticks out this year. I guess Wiseman looked pretty impressive in his limited time at Memphis, but doesn't scream rare talent at the NBA level.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Lamelo is destined to be a letdown. I’d pass on him unless he fell to 5 or 6. Can’t see anyway he can lead an NBA team and he’ll likely pout if he isn’t the alpha
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:56 am Lamelo is destined to be a letdown. I’d pass on him unless he fell to 5 or 6. Can’t see anyway he can lead an NBA team and he’ll likely pout if he isn’t the alpha
I think the hard part is parsing out how much of dad's shit you apply to Lamelo's potential. I honestly have no idea how you do that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not a good way to really know. I think Lonzo is inching away from dad.

Probably enough there, though, to scare you away if you're 1-1.

Plus, I absolutely believe if dad has any say, getting out of Minnesota ASAP is the goal.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:53 am Plus, it's the Wolves. They traded away players and picks for a point guard that explicitly stated he didn't want to play in Minneapolis. Draft a PG at 1-1 would be the Wolves move. And then try and trade to draft another one in the top 10.

I'm not sure who I'd take. No one obvious sticks out this year. I guess Wiseman looked pretty impressive in his limited time at Memphis, but doesn't scream rare talent at the NBA level.
I really like Okongwu for them.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not that anyone ever knows what the wolves are doing, but how do Okongwu or Wiseman fit next to Towns given neither can shoot from the perimeter?

Playing Town out on the perimeter a lot seems like a lot of missed easy 2-pointers and FT attempts.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:48 am If forced to choose, I'd take Lamelo over Edwards. Guys like Lamelo come along a lot less frequently than guys like Edwards.

In other words, you can replicate 80% of Edwards' peak value and skillset pretty easily, in another draft or via trade/free agency. Not the same for Lamelo.
I think Ball is gonna be a huge bust.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:48 am If forced to choose, I'd take Lamelo over Edwards. Guys like Lamelo come along a lot less frequently than guys like Edwards.

I think Ball is gonna be a huge bust.
Maybe!

But Edwards seems...not unlike Wiggins or Gay...to also be destined for an outcome you don't want: good enough to force you to pay max to keep him around, but not good enough to be worth it.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:04 am Not a good way to really know. I think Lonzo is inching away from dad.

Plus, I absolutely believe if dad has any say, getting out of Minnesota ASAP is the goal.
Yep. Franchise location must be heavily considered with the Ball family.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:19 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:04 am Not a good way to really know. I think Lonzo is inching away from dad.

The geography thing is an enormous problem in and for the NBA.

I think they've got to consider a structure where (as an example) whatever extra money the Timberwolves (say) can offer Towns (say), as opposed to suitors in free agency, that money has to not count against the cap, or can be used in the same manner as an exception.

You can't just have a scenario where half the teams in the league simply don't have a chance for long-term success.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

As easy as it is to make fun of LaVar and with legitimate criticisms, if you're LaMelo Ball, pops hasn't hurt you at all to this point. As young teenager, you've been sitting on a very high profile for several years having already made a ton of money off endorsements.

I wouldn't think that LaMelo is pushing dad's opinion out anytime soon.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:24 am

I think they've got to consider a structure where (as an example) whatever extra money the Timberwolves (say) can offer Towns (say), as opposed to suitors in free agency, that money has to not count against the cap, or can be used in the same manner as an exception.

You can't just have a scenario where half the teams in the league simply don't have a chance for long-term success.
There are already Bird rights with Towns's contract, for example. But, it's league-wide.

Maybe something like allowing a team that doesn't pay the luxury tax in Year 1 to have a higher threshold before going into the luxury for Year 2. Give MIN, MIL, ORL, OKC, etc. a chance to re-sign their stars and build.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:30 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:24 am

There are already Bird rights with Towns's contract, for example. But, it's league-wide.

Maybe something like allowing a team that doesn't pay the luxury tax in Year 1 to have a higher threshold before going into the luxury for Year 2. Give MIN, MIL, ORL, OKC, etc. a chance to re-sign their stars and build.
I just don't think Bird rights go far enough; I don't think there's help on the back end. Sure you can go over the cap, but then you're stuck? That's why I suggested something more, like a corresponding credit that works like the MLE.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Right, plus I'm against anything that discourages teams from offering the max.

Also opposed to there even being a max.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:36 am Right, plus I'm against anything that discourages teams from offering the max.

Also opposed to there even being a max.
Right. But if you set it up to where all it costs is money to keep a guy, you should reward owners for spending the money.